Girls Comics USA

Discuss all the girls comics that have appeared over the years. Excellent titles like Bunty, Misty, Spellbound, Tammy and June, amongst many others, can all be remembered here.

Moderator: AndyB

stevezodiac

Girls Comics USA

Post by stevezodiac »

I brought a pile of Alter Egos, Comic Book Artists and Comic Book Market Places over from my Mum's on Saturday and found this nice collection of Romance comic covers in the latter. I just wondered if any of the forum members (particularly the female members) collected these? I am always attracted to them at fairs (my mate Steve collects them) but just do not have the space to include them in my collection. Obviously they do not have the depth of our own sinister orphanage/evil stepmother style of storylineonly having stories of five to seven pages but they do look damned good.

Earl

Re: Girls Comics USA

Post by Earl »

I like them and have a small collection of about 40 or so, mainly from DC but with a smattering of Marvel and Charlton copies.

Earl.

dreamticket

Post by dreamticket »

Earl wrote:I like them and have a small collection of about 40 or so, mainly from DC but with a smattering of Marvel and Charlton copies.

Earl.
Likewise.

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

There are many pd, American romance titles on the following sites .All you have to do is join. They're free to download once your account has been activated and both sites have excellent forums. Give them a go:-
http://digitalcomicmuseum.com/
www.goldenagecomics.co.uk

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

I love the artwork on most US girls' comics but the scripts tend to be incredibly repetitive (with the honourable exception of of some Simon/Kirby titles). It's always seemed odd to me that the Americans never thought of featuring stories in which young girls had proper adventures with time travel and pet aliens (along the lines of our own Bunty) instead of concentrating on soppy romances all the time.

- Phil R.

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

Yes, you're correct and that would have been nice but I wonder if the clue is in the heading - ROMANCE. The stories are, for the most part, repetitive and often it is the art which is the saving grace. Whereas, our British titles were adventures and entertainment for girls and so we got all those different genres in them. The American romance genre did sub-divide and they put out teen and western versions along with the standard young adult titles. There was a Don Juan comic which mixed romance with a bit of adventure. Sometimes I think that US publishers were a bit unimaginative and when I look at the wealth of story types available for boys and girls in British comics, that view is feasable. Could just be a cultural difference though.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Charlton published Haunted Love but it only ran for a few issues.