WHY WAS JINTY CALLED JINTY?

Discuss all the girls comics that have appeared over the years. Excellent titles like Bunty, Misty, Spellbound, Tammy and June, amongst many others, can all be remembered here.

Moderators: AndyB, colcool007

Old Forum Fella

Post by Old Forum Fella » 10 Apr 2006, 22:55

Why was Jinty called Jinty? None of the characters that I've ever seen in it were called Jinty? Where did the name come from?

Originally posted by Paul61 on the old forum on 02/10/2003

Old Forum Fella

Post by Old Forum Fella » 10 Apr 2006, 22:55

JINTY IS A SCOTTISH NAME FOR JANETTE, BUT, LIKE YOU, I HAVE NO IDEA WHY A COMIC FROM THE ENGLISH I.P.C. SHOULD BE SO CALLED.

Originally posted by Robert on the old forum on 02/10/2003

Old Forum Fella

Post by Old Forum Fella » 10 Apr 2006, 22:56

There was a story in June, an earlier Fleetway/IPC, comic called Gymnast Jinty, so perhaps as Jinty effectively replaced June (it was launched within weeks of June amalgamating with Tammy), it was some sort of in-joked/tribute/whatever? Apart from that, I've hard it could also be a derivative of Virginia (like Ginny) - maybe it was the Editor's mother's name?!

Originally posted by Desne on the old forum on 03/10/2003

comixminx

Re: WHY WAS JINTY CALLED JINTY?

Post by comixminx » 06 Aug 2015, 11:10

Resurrecting a very old thread here! The earlier issues of Jinty had a masthead figure of a girl with blond pigtails and a big smile, and she signed herself as Jinty - so while the stories inside didn't feature any girls called Jinty, there was a girl figure that the introductions purported to be written by. This lasted for the first year or two, I'd say offhand.

As for why was the name Jinty chosen at all? Who knows, but the suggestion that Gymnast Jinty from June might have been an inspiration is certainly possible - the first editor of Jinty (Mavis Miller) had been the editor of June & Schoolfriend. Of course, the question of why a Scottish nickname was used for an IPC title or story is still unknown. I think it does sound good in the roll-call of girls titles though.
jintycomic.wordpress.com/ Excellent and weird stories from the past - with amazing art to boot.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan » 06 Aug 2015, 11:13

Jinty is also the name of a steam locomotive, isn't it?

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan » 06 Aug 2015, 11:13

comixminx wrote:Resurrecting a very old thread here! The earlier issues of Jinty had a masthead figure of a girl with blond pigtails and a big smile, and she signed herself as Jinty - so while the stories inside didn't feature any girls called Jinty, there was a girl figure that the introductions purported to be written by. This lasted for the first year or two, I'd say offhand.

As for why was the name Jinty chosen at all? Who knows, but the suggestion that Gymnast Jinty from June might have been an inspiration is certainly possible - the first editor of Jinty (Mavis Miller) had been the editor of June & Schoolfriend. Of course, the question of why a Scottish nickname was used for an IPC title or story is still unknown. I think it does sound good in the roll-call of girls titles though.
Some of the Jinty annuals did reprint Gymnast Jinty. One is the 1980 annual. Jinty also had a cartoon called "Rinty 'n' Jinty", starring the girl in pigtails and her dog. There was some sort of cover girl called Jinty for the comic, but she disappeared. She didn't seem to stick, unlike Bunty, Mandy or Misty who appeared in all their issues without fail.