Cover images collection

Discuss all the girls comics that have appeared over the years. Excellent titles like Bunty, Misty, Spellbound, Tammy and June, amongst many others, can all be remembered here.

Moderator: AndyB

Lew Stringer

Cover images collection

Post by Lew Stringer »

Sorry if this has been mentioned here already. (I don't stick my nose into this section much.) Next month Egmont are releasing a set of postcards featuring covers/artwork from 1970s girls comics. Sounds like a nice item:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/70s-Girls-Comic ... 04-5286523

They're also doing a collection of Battle covers.

Tammyfan

Re: Cover images collection

Post by Tammyfan »

Thanks for the info! I've put my pre-order in.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Always encouraging to see anything comic related being issued.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

stevezodiac wrote:Always encouraging to see anything comic related being issued.
Always gives you hope it might inspire reprint volumes or even new titles.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I was going to add that but we've had those hopes before on this forum and decided there is just not the market, sadly.

Marionette

Post by Marionette »

stevezodiac wrote:I was going to add that but we've had those hopes before on this forum and decided there is just not the market, sadly.
Rubbish. The market is there, it's just that nothing has been effectively marketed to them.

There's a huge market of teenage girls who read manga and dark fantasy YA novels, and another huge market of middle aged women who would be in it for the nostalgia. It's absurd to assume that there aren't enough of them to support a Misty revival, at the very least.
The Tammy Project: Documenting the classic British girls' comic, one serial at a time.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Marionette wrote:
stevezodiac wrote:I was going to add that but we've had those hopes before on this forum and decided there is just not the market, sadly.
Rubbish. The market is there, it's just that nothing has been effectively marketed to them.

There's a huge market of teenage girls who read manga and dark fantasy YA novels, and another huge market of middle aged women who would be in it for the nostalgia. It's absurd to assume that there aren't enough of them to support a Misty revival, at the very least.

I'm not so sure about the nostalgia factor. Outside of people working in comics, or collectors, I've never met any middle aged women who were remotely interested in reading/buying comics. They might browse Fred Basset or Nemi in the newspapers but comics are just something they grew out of basically. (As did most men too of course.) They'd be no more likely to buy a Misty revival than they would be to start playing with dolls again.

Egmont's Misty reprint special of a few years ago didn't seem to catch on, and presumably if the two Best of Bunty collections had sold better there'd have been more of them. I'm sure there would be some women who'd buy a Misty revival, but would there be the tens of thousands of readers it'd require on a regular basis to sustain it?

It'll be interesting to see how these postcards sell, but it's more of a curio and one-off gift idea than anything else.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Lew Stringer wrote:
Marionette wrote:

I'm not so sure about the nostalgia factor. Outside of people working in comics, or collectors, I've never met any middle aged women who were remotely interested in reading/buying comics. They might browse Fred Basset or Nemi in the newspapers but comics are just something they grew out of basically. (As did most men too of course.) They'd be no more likely to buy a Misty revival than they would be to start playing with dolls again.

Egmont's Misty reprint special of a few years ago didn't seem to catch on, and presumably if the two Best of Bunty collections had sold better there'd have been more of them. I'm sure there would be some women who'd buy a Misty revival, but would there be the tens of thousands of readers it'd require on a regular basis to sustain it?

It'll be interesting to see how these postcards sell, but it's more of a curio and one-off gift idea than anything else.
Pat Mills reckons the Misty special reproduced the wrong material and that was why it didn't do well. It was a shame that the Titan deal for reprint Tammy and Misty volumes fell through.

I reckon they should get advice from Pat Mills if they are to do a Misty revival.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

I do wonder if the Pat Mills of today still has what it takes though. While his current work for 2000AD is good (and it was great to see Mike McMahon back on Slaine last week!) I do find it rather more of an acquired taste than the revolutionary stuff he was churning out in the 1970s and 1980s.

In the same way, Stan Lee could do no wrong in the 1960s - yet the characters he subsequently 're-imagined' for DC were just embarrassing.

- Phil R.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

philcom55 wrote:I do wonder if the Pat Mills of today still has what it takes though. While his current work for 2000AD is good (and it was great to see Mike McMahon back on Slaine last week!) I do find it rather more of an acquired taste than the revolutionary stuff he was churning out in the 1970s and 1980s.

In the same way, Stan Lee could do no wrong in the 1960s - yet the characters he subsequently 're-imagined' for DC were just embarrassing.

- Phil R.
However, Pat is the last one standing. I guess it's him or nothing. The success of manga and The Phoenix does indicate there is a market. The question is how to tap into it.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

To be fair to Pat he's always had a knack for discovering and nurturing new talent, and that quality would probably be more important than his own writing if he ever did go back to editing. I'd certainly like to see someone giving him the chance.

- Phil R.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

philcom55 wrote:To be fair to Pat he's always had a knack for discovering and nurturing new talent, and that quality would probably be more important than his own writing if he ever did go back to editing. I'd certainly like to see someone giving him the chance.

- Phil R.
Me too! He's been trying to drum something up. Here's hoping. Okay, so not much luck so far, but I won't give up.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Seeing a couple of the My Weekly story libraries in Tesco today I wondered if DC Thomson could take a chance on reprinting the women's Star Picture Libraries and see how they go.

Marionette

Post by Marionette »

More pictures of the postcard collection and the box it comes in can be seen on my blog.
The Tammy Project: Documenting the classic British girls' comic, one serial at a time.