Those Glory Glory Days

Discuss all the girls comics that have appeared over the years. Excellent titles like Bunty, Misty, Spellbound, Tammy and June, amongst many others, can all be remembered here.

Moderator: AndyB

Raven

Re: Those Glory Glory Days

Post by Raven »

felneymike wrote:I watched the start of some old British black and white film once, where an all-boys school has to temporarily merge with an all-girls school, while the latter is refurbished. It looked boring to me at the time, but I'd love to watch it now, sounds like something straight out of a Captain (or perhaps Chums) serial!
Sounds like The Happiest Days of Your Life, a 1950 film starring Alastair Sim, Margaret Rutherford and Joyce Grenfell. It's available on DVD.

Marionette

Post by Marionette »

That does sound like The Happiest Days of your Life. I happened to see this film a few months ago, and it's tremendous fun (reminiscent of the early St. Trinian's films) but it has a terrible ending. After piling one absurd disaster on top of another, it just reaches a point where, rather than resolve the situation, the movie kind of shrugs its shoulders and goes straight to the end credits.
The Tammy Project: Documenting the classic British girls' comic, one serial at a time.

Marionette

Post by Marionette »

Phoenix wrote:
Marionette wrote:It's not as bad as some threads I've seen on this forum. There was at least one where the subject being discussed wasn't mentioned by name until the third or fourth post;
Which one was that?
A thread in the main Comic Titles & Groups section called "View while you can". The initial post refers to a website but neither names it nor links to it, and it's only the third post (seven years later!) that specifies the comic under discussion.
The Tammy Project: Documenting the classic British girls' comic, one serial at a time.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

ITV 3 has shown the film Pollyanna as well as the more recent ITV adaptation and both were enjoyable. I think I preferred the latter. One day I'll read the book.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

ITV 3 has shown the film Pollyanna as well as the more recent ITV adaptation and both were enjoyable. I think I preferred the latter. One day I'll read the book.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Marionette wrote:A thread in the main Comic Titles & Groups section called "View while you can". The initial post refers to a website but neither names it nor links to it, and it's only the third post (seven years later!) that specifies the comic under discussion.
Thank you. I'll have a look at it when I get a bit of spare time.

DavidKW

Post by DavidKW »

Seen that film a few times, it's great!

It has a good concept: a woman who is an only female football journalist, who was a footie fan in the early 60s, at a time when it was unthinkable, even unacceptable (esp for teachers) for any female to be a true fan & attend games.

Something like this would've made a great girls' comic strip.

If they existed now, the girls' comics could be full of strips on fans & footie players, with all sorts of themes.

Got my mind whirring with ideas already...