If we had a list of the 100 greatest serials in girls comics

Discuss all the girls comics that have appeared over the years. Excellent titles like Bunty, Misty, Spellbound, Tammy and June, amongst many others, can all be remembered here.

Moderator: AndyB

philcom55

Re: If we had a list of the 100 greatest serials in girls co

Post by philcom55 »

I know what you mean about that profile Norman, but oddly enough Leslie Otway did draw some later episodes of Aunt Isobel and the difference in styles is immediately obvious, though they were both brilliant artists. In fact since I posted that page I've picked up the original art for it as well as a number of other Doughty pieces and I've become increasingly impressed by the stylistic versatility he displayed throughout his career.

standby4action

Post by standby4action »

I knew I could rely on you to pin this down! I shall have to be very careful in future when looking at what I think is Otway! I'd love to see an episode of Otway's version, if it's not too much trouble. Thanks Phil

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Here's a nice Aunt Isobel page by Otway. As you say Norman, he had a wonderful knack for drawing women's heads at an angle that emphasized their expression.

standby4action

Post by standby4action »

Fantastic! Thank you once again for your kindness. This is so lovely!

vautour2b

Post by vautour2b »

Hello everyone, from a French recently registered (sorry for my misuse of the English language). I subscribed to this forum because I discovered a lot of English series for girls ("Wendy and Jinx", "Belle of the Ballet", "Robbie of Red Hall", "Vicky", "Susan of St Brides", "Calling Nurse Abbott", "The Happy Days",...) in the Belgian magazine "Line", of which I got almost all the issues (I only miss the collection n° 7)
http://lejournalline.free.fr/affiche.ph ... &menu_id=2
matrix wrote:
21 Oct 2013, 08:51
philcom55 wrote:
(Incidentally, I still think that 'Belle of the Ballet' and 'Belle and Mamie' ought to count as just one strip)

- Phil R.
Not sure I agree with you there Phil. :) I understand the connection of course but when the first 'Belle and Mamie' started in December 1962 this was the heading.....

"Gone were the days of ballet classes at the Arenska Dancing School! The school was shut forever and Madame Arenska had retired to the south of France. Now what were the inseparable friends, Belle and Mamie to do? One night they were at a party when they heard a van draw up below. Fate was on it's way!"

Beginning a completely separate series.

Also 'Calling Nurse Abbott' started the same way evolving from 'Susan of St Brides'.

Just a thought, for what it's worth!
Thank you very much "philcom55" and "matrix" for these clarifications. When I discovered, in an issue dating from October 1963, after a long absence from "Line" magazine (due to a change in the magazine's formula: reduction in the number of comics and abandonment of "to be continued" series), that the two ballerinas reappear as TV journalists - in a story called: "Belle et les fourrures ensorcelées" - I was very surprised, but thanks to you, I know the why.
http://lejournalline.free.fr/affiche.ph ... menu_id=18

On this subject, I would have a request: do you know where to find scans (in the original English version, of course) of the episode where Belle and Mamie change jobs?

Another request: the first of the two stories of "belle and Mamie" (which appeared in the "Line" 'new formula') is a 'to be continued' story of which the last three episodes have been put together to make a 'complete story', but the first part is missing, as the text of the summary proves. (see image below).
Do you know where I can find the missings scans?

I would be very grateful if you could help me.

"Belle and the bewitched furs" (A fur story that brings bad luck)
"During a stay in a guesthouse in the countryside, Belle became acquainted with a foreigner, Fiona. When it comes time to separate, she gives him a coat and a fur hat, while warning her that they were bewitched. In fact, on the train, Belle's luggage is being stolen.. His work companions on TV, Mamie and Luc are waiting for him at the station ..."