Finding Slave of the Trapeze

Discuss all the girls comics that have appeared over the years. Excellent titles like Bunty, Misty, Spellbound, Tammy and June, amongst many others, can all be remembered here.

Moderator: AndyB

Tammyfan

Finding Slave of the Trapeze

Post by Tammyfan »

The Jinty bloggers have received a request for episodes from a serial called Slave of the Trapeze. But we have no idea where this story appeared. It never appeared in Jinty and Tammy does not look likely either. If anyone can place it or even provide episodes, we would appreciate it very much. Thanks.

Phoenix
Guru

Re: Finding Slave of the Trapeze

Post by Phoenix »

Tammyfan wrote:The Jinty bloggers have received a request for episodes from a serial called Slave of the Trapeze. But we have no idea where this story appeared. It never appeared in Jinty and Tammy does not look likely either.
According to the very Jinty site you are presumably referring to, Tammyfan, there is an interview with Terence Magee in which he claims to have written Slave Of The Trapeze for Tammy. It is not unreasonable therefore to expect him to remember roughly when he put it there. Perhaps Marionette will know anyway. She is probably the person on this forum who is more likely to know the answer than anybody else.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Phoenix wrote:
Tammyfan wrote:The Jinty bloggers have received a request for episodes from a serial called Slave of the Trapeze. But we have no idea where this story appeared. It never appeared in Jinty and Tammy does not look likely either.
According to the very Jinty site you are presumably referring to, Tammyfan, there is an interview with Terence Magee in which he claims to have written Slave Of The Trapeze for Tammy. It is not unreasonable therefore to expect him to remember roughly when he put it there. Perhaps Marionette will know anyway. She is probably the person on this forum who is more likely to know the answer than anybody else.
Yes, I am aware Terry could be a bit confused on where he wrote Slave of the Trapeze. It has been donkey's years.

helsbels

Post by helsbels »

Think it could've been a serial from Sandie - I'm pretty sure there was a story like that in there. I'll have to have a look and get back to this thread.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Yes, Sandie certainly went in for trapeze stories, though I'm not aware of one with that title. In 1973 there was both 'Anna and the Circus' and 'Sister to a Star' - with the latter featuring a heroine who was dominated by her older partner in a way that might have been seen as a kind of 'slavery'. :?

- Phil R.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

philcom55 wrote:Yes, Sandie certainly went in for trapeze stories, though I'm not aware of one with that title. In 1973 there was both 'Anna and the Circus' and 'Sister to a Star' - with the latter featuring a heroine who was dominated by her older partner in a way that might have been seen as a kind of 'slavery'. :?

- Phil R.
Sandie also had "Cherry in Chains", about a girl escapologist in a circus. Sounds like she was big on circus stories.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Here's the final episode of 'Sister to a Star'.

- Phil Rushton

Marionette

Post by Marionette »

Tammy certainly was the place for slaves. There was Slaves of War Orphan Farm, The Stables Slave, The Swimmer Slave of Mrs Squall, Slaves of the Hot Stove, and Slaves of the Clock. And that's just stories with "slave" in the title. No Slave of the Trapeze that I'm aware of, but my knowledge is very incomplete.
The Tammy Project: Documenting the classic British girls' comic, one serial at a time.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Marionette wrote:Tammy certainly was the place for slaves. There was Slaves of War Orphan Farm, The Stables Slave, The Swimmer Slave of Mrs Squall, Slaves of the Hot Stove, and Slaves of the Clock. And that's just stories with "slave" in the title. No Slave of the Trapeze that I'm aware of, but my knowledge is very incomplete.
One correction: it was Slave of the Clock.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

We are trying to get more details on the story. We have had information that suggests the title may have been changed as it passed through the editing stage, because the editor had the final say on the title.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Tammyfan wrote:We have had information that suggests the title may have been changed as it passed through the editing stage, because the editor had the final say on the title.
It would have been helpful if you had given us this information yesterday because members are now going to have to go back to their collections or lists of information in order to check all story titles with any link to trapeze acts in circuses. Do any of the Jinty bloggers who have approached you know any details about the plot, as those would now be very helpful? If not, could Terence Magee be contacted?

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Phoenix wrote:
Tammyfan wrote:We have had information that suggests the title may have been changed as it passed through the editing stage, because the editor had the final say on the title.
It would have been helpful if you had given us this information yesterday because members are now going to have to go back to their collections or lists of information in order to check all story titles with any link to trapeze acts in circuses. Do any of the Jinty bloggers who have approached you know any details about the plot, as those would now be very helpful? If not, could Terence Magee be contacted?
We did not know at the time that the title may have been changed; the possibility did not emerge until after further interviews with Terry and the thread making it evident that the title was hard to trace. We are working on getting more details out of Terry, who can be contacted.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

As Terry Magee is known to have worked for Sandie it sounds pretty likely that Helsbels was right. As you can see in this earlier page from 'Sister to a Star' Pat Suza could certainly be something of a slave driver with her younger partner...and the fact that her name was unaccountably altered to 'Sue' by the final episode suggests that the editor was in the habit of changing things round for no apparent reason! :?

Given that the 'Suza Sisters' aren't actually sisters at all I'd have thought that 'Slave of the Trapeze' would have been a better title anyway.

On the subject of stories with 'slave' in the title it's worth noting that Sandie also featured one called 'Slaves of the Sorcerer'.

- Phil Rushton

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

I might take a look at the odd stories of Sandie and see what I can find.

Funny thing - while circus stories were common in Sandie, they were rare in Jinty. Two serials, one complete story, and some Gypsy Rose tales. But no trapezes. Tammy had more circus stories, but I can't recall any trapeze stories.
Last edited by Tammyfan on 07 Sep 2021, 09:13, edited 2 times in total.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

I had a look at my two Sandies. No luck with Slave of the Trapeze, but I did have a piece of luck with another title mentioned in the Terry interviews.