Girl Picture Library

Discuss all the girls comics that have appeared over the years. Excellent titles like Bunty, Misty, Spellbound, Tammy and June, amongst many others, can all be remembered here.

Moderator: AndyB

Tammyfan

Re: Girl Picture Library

Post by Tammyfan »

Thank you, Marckie. But I still can't place Penny's Best Friend. Can anyone give a synopsis or something?

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Now the auction is here I see that The Old Mill and Stormy Seas are original stories and not reprints. Maybe the same is true for Penny's Best Friend, as I can't place anything like it in either Tammy or Jinty.

marckie73

Post by marckie73 »

"The old mill" could be from June. There was a story about an old mill in there. Is it about a girl in a haunted mill?

There was a story, I can't think of the title right now, but I think it's also from June, of which John Armstrong was the artist. It's about a girl who finds a friend, that turns out to be a Greek statue come to live. I wonder if that could be 'Penny's best friend'. I believe the girl was called Penny, but I'm not sure, and I can't look it up right now.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

marckie73 wrote:"The old mill" could be from June. There was a story about an old mill in there. Is it about a girl in a haunted mill?

There was a story, I can't think of the title right now, but I think it's also from June, of which John Armstrong was the artist. It's about a girl who finds a friend, that turns out to be a Greek statue come to live. I wonder if that could be 'Penny's best friend'. I believe the girl was called Penny, but I'm not sure, and I can't look it up right now.
The Old Mill does not say "previously published", which the Girl Libraries did if it was a reprint. So it's not a reprint.

The other story you are thinking of is The Greek Girl. The Greek Girl was named Penelope, but was called Penny for short. But as she is more of a companion than the main heroine, I doubt it's the story in Penny's Best Friend. In any case, the cover is of a girl and an Alsatian. It is obvious that Penny's Best Friend is the dog.

marckie73

Post by marckie73 »

Ah yes, I found a picture of it on the internet. No, that doesn't look like Greek statue! The picture doesn't ring a bell, so perhaps it's an original, too?