Princess/Alice in Spaceland

Discuss all the girls comics that have appeared over the years. Excellent titles like Bunty, Misty, Spellbound, Tammy and June, amongst many others, can all be remembered here.

Moderator: AndyB

Shaqui

Princess/Alice in Spaceland

Post by Shaqui »

Does anyone have any issues of Princess comic from 1965/66. Looking for decent scans/photos of Alice in Spaceland, please?

:)

philcom55

Re: Princess/Alice in Spaceland

Post by philcom55 »

Any particular episode you're looking for Shaqui?

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Sorry, can't help. I don't collect Princess 1.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Phil sounds pretty confident!!

Shaqui

Post by Shaqui »

philcom55 wrote:Any particular episode you're looking for Shaqui?
It's for someone researching the strip. She read them all at the British Library and has a couple of issues, so any would be nice to have. :)

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Phil Clarke currently has a couple of original pages for sale on ebay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/psconbo2003/m.html

Shaqui

Post by Shaqui »

philcom55 wrote:Phil Clarke currently has a couple of original pages for sale on ebay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/psconbo2003/m.html
Yes I know. She has an original but it was the complete print versions we were looking for.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

OK - I'll see what I can dig out. :)

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

I've uploaded a high-res scan of one of the more dramatic 'Alice in Spaceland' episodes to Sendspace. Anybody who wants to should be able to download it from this link:

https://www.sendspace.com/file/2p2jck

While the possible extinction of all life on Earth might seem a serious subject I think there was a deliberate attempt to make Alice's adventures far more gentle and 'people-oriented' than the sort of two-fisted Science Fiction on offer in boys' comics like Dan Dare, Captain Condor and Jet-Ace Logan. Also, the temporary conversion of Princess to magazine status gave rise to an interesting experiment with large blocks of text and the unusual blending of images in colour and black and white.

For anybody who's never seen this series before here's a lower resolution scan of the very first episode from October 1965.

Shaqui

Post by Shaqui »

philcom55 wrote:I've uploaded a high-res scan of one of the more dramatic 'Alice in Spaceland' episodes to Sendspace. Anybody who wants to should be able to download it from this link:

https://www.sendspace.com/file/2p2jck

While the possible extinction of all life on Earth might seem a serious subject I think there was a deliberate attempt to make Alice's adventures far more gentle and 'people-oriented' than the sort of two-fisted Science Fiction on offer in boys' comics like Dan Dare, Captain Condor and Jet-Ace Logan. Also, the temporary conversion of Princess to magazine status gave rise to an interesting experiment with large blocks of text and the unusual blending of images in colour and black and white.

For anybody who's never seen this series before here's a lower resolution scan of the very first episode from October 1965.

Hello Phil,

Many many thanks for those. Do you have a high resolution scan of the first part, please?

For those who want to see an original, Kim's is on my ComicArtFans page:

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiec ... ece=530325

Kind regards,

Shaqui

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

I'm afraid this is the highest resolution scan of the first episode I have to hand Shaqui.

I should be visiting Phil Clarke later this week so I'm tempted to pick up an original page myself if I can see a really nice one. It'd be interesting to know how Peppe and Dewar worked together (presumably the latter added the weird creatures like those Venusian cats and toadstool men). Amazing to think how our knowledge of the other planets in the Solar System has advanced over the last 50 years - right up to the stunning pictures of Pluto that are currently being sent back from the New Horizons probe.

suebutcher

Post by suebutcher »

Gosh, space cats with built-in change dispensers! Cute. Which Dewar would that be Phil? Ferguson Dewar?

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Yes. He also provided the rather 'cute' illustrations for Princess's serialization of 'The Hobbit'.

It's interesting that the writer Mary Patchett was probably best known for children's stories set in her native Australia. Her book 'Dingo' was serialized in early issues of Look & Learn.
Attachments
hobbit.jpg

Shaqui

Post by Shaqui »

philcom55 wrote:Yes. He also provided the rather 'cute' illustrations for Princess's serialization of 'The Hobbit'.

It's interesting that the writer Mary Patchett was probably best known for children's stories set in her native Australia. Her book 'Dingo' was serialized in early issues of Look & Learn.
She did also write science fiction, and the Alice in Spaceland stories are vaguely based on two of her novels - hence the research by Kim Stevens.