Female only societies in girls' comics

Discuss all the girls comics that have appeared over the years. Excellent titles like Bunty, Misty, Spellbound, Tammy and June, amongst many others, can all be remembered here.

Moderators: AndyB, colcool007

User avatar
Marionette
Posts: 541
Joined: 17 Aug 2012, 23:50
Location: Lost in time and lost in space. And meaning.

Re: Female only societies in girls' comics

Post by Marionette »

Phoenix wrote:Of course any society made up only of women that have not had access to any kind of immortality potion has its own built-in obsolescence.
Not so. They generally come up with some form of parthenogenisis fairly quickly. Either technologically or via nature. Which isn't even completely far-fetched.

Here's a link to a clip from a BBC Nature documentary about lesbian lizards. They manage fine without any males at all. http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/adaptations ... s#p006v48r
The Tammy Project: Documenting the classic British girls' comic, one serial at a time.

comixminx
Posts: 505
Joined: 09 Jul 2015, 16:41
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Female only societies in girls' comics

Post by comixminx »

Phoenix wrote:Of course any society made up only of women that have not had access to any kind of immortality potion has its own built-in obsolescence.
Not with SCIENCE. There were plenty of films of the the 'man trap' type society where the women were painted as man-hungry vixens, but in SF depictions of that sort of thing they got over the physical difficulties with artificial wombs, parthenogenesis, and the like.
jintycomic.wordpress.com/ Excellent and weird stories from the past - with amazing art to boot.

Phoenix
Guru
Posts: 5350
Joined: 27 Mar 2008, 21:15

Re: Female only societies in girls' comics

Post by Phoenix »

Marionette wrote:Not so. They generally come up with some form of parthenogenisis fairly quickly. Either technologically or via nature. Which isn't even completely far-fetched. Here's a link to a clip from a BBC Nature documentary about lesbian lizards. They manage fine without any males at all. http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/adaptations ... s#p006v48r
Fine, Mari, I've watched the clips. Thank you for the link. To be fair, I have known about these virgin births in the animal kingdom for a good few years, but the human female is surely far more complicated, biologically speaking, than lizards and aphids. I can only imagine it happening in the real world at some time in the far distant future, and only then if there is no possibility whatsoever of copulation with a male. I'm not a scientist but if there is any future threat of a worldwide mass extinction of men I very much doubt whether parthenogenesis will kick in quickly enough to save any of the remaining females. Homo sapiens will depart the planet just as surely as our cavemen ancestors did, and that's assuming that global warming doesn't do for the lot of us first. :)

Tammyfan
Posts: 1902
Joined: 23 Aug 2012, 10:41

Re: Female only societies in girls' comics

Post by Tammyfan »

In the Golden Age of Wonder Woman there were young Amazon girls, whose origin was never explained. Diana herself was the only child on the island with an origin, and she grew up together with Mala. The girls disappeared in later years and it was an all-adult women society. In the post-Crisis era, Paradise Island also started as a childless society except for Diana herself. However, as of late some writers have returned to the mythological idea of the Amazons procreating with men, but raising only the female babies and disposing of the males (but Hephaestus rescues them and raises them as his own).

User avatar
philcom55
Posts: 5170
Joined: 14 Jun 2006, 11:56

Re: Female only societies in girls' comics

Post by philcom55 »

For anyone who hasn't seen it Brian K. Vaughan's Vertigo series 'Y: the Last Man' tells a very convincing story about a world (almost) without men.

User avatar
Marionette
Posts: 541
Joined: 17 Aug 2012, 23:50
Location: Lost in time and lost in space. And meaning.

Re: Female only societies in girls' comics

Post by Marionette »

Phoenix wrote:but the human female is surely far more complicated, biologically speaking, than lizards and aphids. I can only imagine it happening in the real world at some time in the far distant future, and only then if there is no possibility whatsoever of copulation with a male.
Well, I said it wasn't far-fetched as a concept, I didn't say it was likely. But I think if you are dealing with stories that involve interstellar travel or sentient robots, cloning is so much closer to real science as to be practically mundane.
The Tammy Project: Documenting the classic British girls' comic, one serial at a time.

Post Reply