Request for a Strange Story

Discuss all the girls comics that have appeared over the years. Excellent titles like Bunty, Misty, Spellbound, Tammy and June, amongst many others, can all be remembered here.

Moderator: AndyB

peace355

Re: Request for a Strange Story

Post by peace355 »

I only knew of it in Nikki, but as it was from 1989, I thought if someone remembered it from Bunty, there was a possibility of it being printed earlier in the 80s as stories usually were reprinted after about 7 years. Very hard to trust memories, I bought a bunch of Judy annuals convinced it had a story only to discover it was in Mandy!

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

peace355 wrote:I only knew of it in Nikki, but as it was from 1989, I thought if someone remembered it from Bunty, there was a possibility of it being printed earlier in the 80s as stories usually were reprinted after about 7 years. Very hard to trust memories, I bought a bunch of Judy annuals convinced it had a story only to discover it was in Mandy!
We've had a lot of requests to help find stories from people whose memories are hazy, gotten a bit distorted, confused and not that accurate, haven't we?

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Tammyfan wrote:We've had a lot of requests to help find stories from people whose memories are hazy, gotten a bit distorted, confused and not that accurate, haven't we?
Haven't we just!

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Whenever I track down a cherished story I read as a child I'm invariably surprised by how much the memory has been embellished by my imagination over the years! :)

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Insufficient talent was also a key plot elements in Tammy's "Make Your Mind Up, Maggie" (where Maggie has to choose between ballet and riding, but circumstances are preventing her from making a definite choice). Maggie's friend Nadia is also being pushed into ballet by her ballet star mother. Although Nadia is not a clumsy two-left footer like Elena, she does not have what it takes to follow her mother. The teacher knows it too and only persists with Nadia because of her mother. Nadia is trying to find all sorts of dodges to get out of ballet shows, some with Maggie's help. Finally, the teacher openly tells Nadia she has as "much talent for ballet as a wooden doll" (heat of the moment sort of thing), and Nadia can't wait to tell mum this. The mother agrees to let Nadia give up ballet and Maggie gives Nadia her horse so Nadia can pursue the riding she really wants. Now Maggie can make her choice.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Request for another Strange Story.

Does anyone have "Scrump-tious!" from Tammy & Misty 18 October 1980, please? I need the story in good quality scans. Thank you.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Unlike most other stories, Elena Jnr isn't frustrated by something she wants to pursue but can't because her father keeps pushing her in the wrong direction. In fact, we never see what Elena wants to do if not for her father's stubbornness. Instead, the whole story is about the frustration and misery caused by the father just not getting it into his head that he's wasting his time and money trying to make Elena Jnr a ballet star and he's made a promise he can't keep.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Moral of the story to ambitious parents from beyond the grave: don't try to pass on your talent through anything other than your genes. And if you haven't - forget it.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

On the Girls Comics from Yesterday site, we have had a couple of requests in identifying Strange Stories:

1: "I remember in Tammy I think it was there was a Strange story about a mother and daughter who lived in an old house and bit by bit the other got rid of modern gadgets including electricity. One morning the daughter woke up and couldn’t see the bus stop from her window, nor her uniform and asked her mother about it and was told that she wouldn’t be going to school any more. She gave her old fashioned clothes from 17th century? and I think that they time travelled somehow."

I myself remember the story, but not the title, and I'm positive it was in 1980. Incidentally, it was the 16th century, not the 17th. There is strong indication that the house is behind it all. When they arrive in the 16th century, the mother has no memory at all of the 20th century. The daughter does and is absolutely stunned to see what's happened.

2: "A girl who went to a funfair and she laughed at a gypsy because she said her face was ugly. The gypsy woman told her “From this day on mine is the only face you will see”. Next morning every face she saw looked like the gypsy’s. Don’t know if it was permanent or not."

One possibility is "The Look of Things", from Tammy 1 August 1981, as the story pretty much follows this pattern. The problem is, it's set in Malaysia, not a funfair. Could there be another Strange Story somewhere that fits? There are gaps in my Tammy collection, so I can't be 100% certain.

Can anyone help with these stories? Thanks in advance for any help.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Ah, I think the first one is "Living in the Past", 19 April 1980.

But can anyone shed any light on the second one?