Phoenix's Future Plans

Discuss all the girls comics that have appeared over the years. Excellent titles like Bunty, Misty, Spellbound, Tammy and June, amongst many others, can all be remembered here.

Moderator: AndyB

Phoenix
Guru

Re: Phoenix's Future Plans

Post by Phoenix »

starscape wrote:Or Psylocke as she's now known :tongue:
For the first time, I think, since I joined our happy band of members, I have read a post that I do not understand. Clarity please someone.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Phoenix wrote:
For the first time, I think, since I joined our happy band of members, I have read a post that I do not understand. Clarity please someone.
I googled, and Psylocke is a super heroine from Marvel Comics, if that helps to clarify anything. You can find more about her at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psylocke

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Tammyfan wrote:Psylocke is a super heroine from Marvel Comics, if that helps to clarify anything.
An American character then. No wonder I've never heard of her. I never read American comics. To be honest I feel I have enough to enjoy reading, over and over again, with DCT's wide range of British comics for boys and girls between 1921 (the first issue of Adventure) and 2001 (the last issue of Bunty). The best part of an eighty-year run!! Oh and from time to time I do read issues of Girl, School Friend, and Girls' Crystal plus The Victor, The Hornet, Scoop etcetera, and very occasionally June, Tammy, and Jinty. Thank you for your information though, Tammyfan. It's much appreciated.

peace355

Post by peace355 »

Interestingly Psylocke (Elizabeth "Betsy" Braddock) has a lot of British ties. She is a British character that first appeared in the marvel comics imprint - Marvel UK. The comic she first appeared was Captain Britain (her brother) but she became more well known for her part in the American hero team X-Men.

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Matt Braddock was their dad as was revealed in George Bourne's final, sadly unpublished, volume of memoirs!

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

peace355 wrote:The comic she first appeared was Captain Britain (her brother) but she became more well known for her part in the American hero team X-Men.
Seen from the chromasomal viewpoint, wouldn't she have been a Y-Man? Answers on a postcard, please. :)

suebutcher

Post by suebutcher »

No, Y-Man was the one who used to fly around in his underpants. She'd be an XX-Man.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

Phoenix wrote:
Just in case there is still any confusion, you will hopefully be able to spot the differences between the two Elizabeth Braddocks that have been mentioned but I can see that people may be confused between the two of them......
Attachments
Betsy Braddock.jpg
bessie-braddock-620-602876896.jpg

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Of course Bessie looked very different when for a time she patriotically volunteered for RAF Bomber Command during World War 2 - disguising herself as the dashing 'Matt' Braddock like so many other intrepid women in history who variously posed as soldiers, sailors and pirates! And in all that time the only person who ever discovered her true identity was Navigator Sergeant George Bourne who took the secret to his grave!
Attachments
brad.jpg

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

Not to be confused with the schizophrenic Jamie Braddock, elder brother of Betsy and Brian!
Attachments
Jamie_Braddock.jpg

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

It's no wonder he's grimacing in such a tight thong. Or is he thinging a thong? It's difficult to tell.

suebutcher

Post by suebutcher »

The there's this ciggie ad Braddock, aka General Braddock of the Silent army, who was adopted as the mascot of Melbourne underground comickers.
Attachments
General Braddock.jpg

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Well there seems to be a jacket made out of cigarette smoke, a tie that's too short, a motorbike with no footrests, and a guitar being played the wrong way round, but no discernible purpose to the whole. Surely it isn't just a trite message like 'Our cigarettes are different'. What am I missing, Sue?

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Derek you forgot that the chimney smoke is blowing in the opposite direction to the wind.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

It's worth noting that Captain Britain's creator Chris Claremont continued to read British comics when he was growing up, even though his parents moved to America when he was 3 - so it's quite possible that he took the name Braddock from the DC Thomson character!