Phoenix's Future Plans

Discuss all the girls comics that have appeared over the years. Excellent titles like Bunty, Misty, Spellbound, Tammy and June, amongst many others, can all be remembered here.

Moderator: AndyB

Phoenix
Guru

Re: Phoenix's Future Plans

Post by Phoenix »

Adam Eterno wrote:It's a great place for kids. It's less than 20 minutes from me and I've lost count of the number of family and friends who have come to visit with littleuns over the years and we've all ended up there. I sometimes wonder whether the purpose of the visits was really to see me and my boy or just to have a local base to go to Paultos Park!
Well if I had known that in advance, Adam, Andrew and I would have trotted the girls' little legs over to your place, and in exchange for bed and board we would have funded all your ale for the evening. Fair's fair! :cheers:

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

Phoenix wrote:
Adam Eterno wrote:It's a great place for kids. It's less than 20 minutes from me and I've lost count of the number of family and friends who have come to visit with littleuns over the years and we've all ended up there. I sometimes wonder whether the purpose of the visits was really to see me and my boy or just to have a local base to go to Paultos Park!
Well if I had known that in advance, Adam, Andrew and I would have trotted the girls' little legs over to your place, and in exchange for bed and board we would have funded all your ale for the evening. Fair's fair! :cheers:
I'm a big lad, the hotel may have been cheaper than my beer bill for a night! Which Holiday Inn did you stay in?

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Adam Eterno wrote:Which Holiday Inn did you stay in?
The one nearest to Paultons Park.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

Phoenix wrote:
Adam Eterno wrote:Which Holiday Inn did you stay in?
The one nearest to Paultons Park.
Fair enough, it must be a new one as I don't remember one being out there. I thought the nearest one would have been in Southampton.
If you ever go again, Romsey is very close and has some lovely pubs!

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Adam Eterno wrote:I thought the nearest one would have been in Southampton.
I have to apologize, Adam. I texted Andrew this morning, asking him to tell me as precisely as he could where exactly the Holiday Inn is where we stayed. His unequivocal one-word answer was 'Southampton'. :oops: :settee:

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

I'm coming in a bit late on this but earlier today it was a future plan. Russ, Alex, Lois's friend Jess (11), and I drove over to the Royal Theatre in Redruth to see Lois dancing in Liz Nolan's latest ballet extravaganza Captain Cutlass And The Lost Treasure. Rach was already there when we arrived, selling official colour photographs to make money for the company, featuring individual members of the cast, or small groups. The prices were exorbitant in my opinion, the three that I bought costing me £15. They are now on my mantelpiece. The glossy programme was a fiver!! I don't know how much the tickets were because Rach got tickets for all of us, but I will pay for mine. We got back at about 10.30 so I walked Jess home, I assume Rach is going to be there tomorrow for the 2pm matinee and the 7.15 performance because she has asked me to look after Alex. I'll probably take him swimming, either to the pool in the Tregenna Castle Hotel, the much bigger baths in Penzance, or even the excellent baths in St. Ives where many a long year ago they both learned to swim.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Phoenix wrote:I don't know how much the tickets were because Rach got tickets for all of us, but I will pay for mine.
Ten pounds according to Russ. I'll pay him tomorrow afternoon. Lois is having the metal pins removed tomorrow from the arm she broke. If I were to say that she is not looking forward to the experience, it would be a huge understatement. I can't see her going back to school this week. If I were her, I wouldn't bother.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Russ, Alex and I have just got back from visiting Lois in Treliske hospital near Truro. Needless to say, she was very happy to see us. We stopped at the Copperhouse on the way home for a pint (a J2O for Alex) and a couple of games of snooker. She had the operation earlier, and to be honest looked comfortable if a bit washed out. Rach stayed all last night with her, and is doing so again tonight. She is being released tomorrow. One positive thing for her is that the surgeon has apparently made an incision along the original scar, and seems to have made it less obvious. I didn't see the effect of this because of the bandages round it, but Lois and Rachel seem very happy with the result. I told Lo that I would go up tomorrow and see her after she gets home. She will ring me when she is ready.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

I hadn't been expecting a great deal from today, but I was rung up about half nine by Russ to tell me that everybody was going out to the Tehidy Country Park, which is relatively near to Camborne, and did I want to come as well? The 'everybody' consisted of Russ, Rach, Lois, Alex, and Lynne, plus Rachel's sister, Claire, her husband, Jonathan, with their children, Gabriela and little Jon, who I refer to humorously as my Robin Hood child, who are down from Liverpool for a week, plus Andrew, Aurora, and Kelsey, who are down here from London until next Wednesday, Shona, who is Lynne's daughter-in-law, being the younger daughter of Lynne's brother, Philip, and Shona's partner, Rick, so of course I wanted to go! It turned out to be a lovely family outing. Lois, of course, had her left arm in a sling, but she had a quality camera with her, and managed to take lots of photos of flowers without a great deal of discomfort. What she wanted them for, I've no idea. We needed three cars, of course, and we took baguettes filled with ham, and a good few cans of coke and lemonade. A great day all round. Tomorrow Andrew, Aurora and Kelsey are coming to my house. No plans yet regarding what to do, but if either of the girls damage any of my story papers, they will find themselves upside down in my back yard with their head in a plant pot.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Phoenix wrote:I stopped at the Copperhouse on the way home for a pint tonight.
No such luck tonight though. It was shut, and when I finally got a pint up the road in the Cornubia, I was told by a guy at the bar that the Copperhouse had not been open yesterday either, so it looks as though it has closed its doors for good. That, after I'd paid a pound to cover the Copperhouse's parking charge. It seems rather unfair that the parking meter was still working perfectly but the pub was shut, so no way of getting my pound back, which was normal procedure in the Copperhouse if you handed in over the bar the right-hand perforated edge of your parking ticket. :shock: :(

I might get some clarity tomorrow when my issue of The Guardian and I go to the White Hart for my leisurely lunchtime pint because Karen, one of the barmaids, used to moonlight regularly in the Copperhouse. Mind you, if I have to go and fetch Lois from school again tomorrow, and then stay in with her for the rest of the day...........!!??!!................ . And then of course there's ballet tomorrow evening, and Thursday. I take her there of course and then, as I've mentioned previously, I have a pint in the Badger while I'm waiting for her. I won't be wasting my time though as I will take the full run of EMMA with me to keep me occupied for the hour. I don't know whether other members have a similar experience, but I find it virtually impossible to do nothing.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Phoenix wrote:I might get some clarity tomorrow when my issue of The Guardian and I go to the White Hart for my leisurely lunchtime pint because Karen, one of the barmaids, used to moonlight regularly in the Copperhouse. Mind you, if I have to go and fetch Lois from school again tomorrow, and then stay in with her for the rest of the day...........!!??!!
I didn't need to because she didn't go. Russ rang at 8 to ask me to take Lois to school this morning. I was still in bed, with roughly 10 minutes to get up there. Admittedly they only live a 2-minute-drive away but I still had to skip breakfast. Lois was ready when I got there but I took one look at her coughing and sneezing, before telling Russ that there was absolutely no point in my driving her to school because he would be getting a phone call from them in next to no time asking him to go and fetch her, at which point he would be in work. He saw my point and said he would ring the school to let them know why she would not be attending today. As he is trying to sell the house, which is immaculate inside and out, and there were two viewings booked for today, he said, " You couldn't take her to yours for the day, could you, Dad? She has her lunchbox". I didn't need asking twice. We had a lovely day together, and played a lot of card games. She ate several of her sandwiches during the morning. By lunchtime she was more comfortable so I asked her if she felt up to going down to SPAR with me so we could both get a baguette, and she could have her own choice of filling. On the way down, and of course back up again, she had to negotiate twice therefore the raised section of pathway under the tree in the park where she fell and broke her arm last year. The scar on her left elbow is no longer unsightly due to the skill of the surgeon in Treliske. She will still have the scar for life, just as I've still got my appendix scar from when I was 9, but she is so pleased with the result now that the doctors have removed all the bandages, even though she is aware that not all the pins have been removed yet. I took her home at half three but stayed with her until Russ got home at about half five. Jordan brought Alex home from his School Sports Day. He had won one of his two races, and came second in the other. Lynne went to watch him, knowing exactly why I couldn't.

P.S. Karen wasn't on duty in the White Hart this evening but my question can wait.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Phoenix wrote:I might get some clarity tomorrow when my issue of The Guardian and I go to the White Hart for my leisurely lunchtime pint because Karen, one of the barmaids, used to moonlight regularly in the Copperhouse.
Karen wasn't absolutely certain but she thought that the Copperhouse got shut down because they hadn't paid their electricity bill. Seems a bit harsh, but I suppose it depends on how big the unpaid bill was, and whether they had been warned earlier. The doors were still closed yesterday afternoon. Earlier in the morning I had taken Lois, Alex, Jess, and Autumn to the fantastic open air swimming pool in Penzance, and I was on my way back home after dropping the four of them off at Hayle Park when I noticed that the pub was still shut.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

It was certainly a future plan on July 24th, as I went to London on the 25th to spend a week with Andrew. I only got back by train at 6.15 this evening, which explains why I haven't posted any comments recently. Having read this evening the contributions made during my absence, there aren't any to which I would have liked to add anything. I did spend half a day in Kingston, and another afternoon in Wimbledon, rooting through books in charity shops in both places. In Kingston I bought The Railway Detective by Edward Marston, a paperback in mint condition, which is described as 'A Detective Inspector Colbeck Mystery'. It could prove to be worth comparing with a similar-themed serial in some early issues of either The ROVER or ADVENTURE, I can't offhand remember which. In Wimbledon yesterday I bought for Aurora a large, thick encyclopedic-type volume costing £3.50. I got it for just the first 35 pages, which deal with the Roman occupation of Britain, a topic that she will be studying when she goes back to school. Her mother has a scanner and a printer so Aurora will not need to cut any of the illustrations out of the book. I also popped into 30th Century Comics to pick up four issues of BUNTY that had been put on one side for me (issues 261 : 289 : 291 and 296). Will had been going to post them to me but as I was going up to London the following day I said I would collect them. They may not be particularly important but at least they fill four gaps. I had a pleasant chat as always with Will and Rob, and then went across the road for a snifter, sitting outside as the sun was cracking the flags.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Just a piece of additional information on Edward Marston's output, or to put it another way, verbal diarrhoea. According to the biographical blurb, he has been a full-time writer for over forty years, and is a former chairman of the Crime Writers' Association. He has produced 52 novels across six series, the series being The Railway Detective series, The Restoration series, The Bracewell Mysteries, The Home Front Detective series, The Bow Street Rivals series, and The Captain Rawson series. I'm amazed that I had never heard of him. Must rush. Rach has just rung to ask me if I could take the children to the open-air swimming baths in Penzance, so as the sun is cracking the flags here, I said I'd be up at hers with today's issue of The Guardian by 11.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

Phoenix wrote:. I also popped into 30th Century Comics to pick up four issues of BUNTY that had been put on one side for me (issues 261 : 289 : 291 and 296). Will had been going to post them to me but as I was going up to London the following day I said I would collect them. They may not be particularly important but at least they fill four gaps. I.
Derek all gap fillers are important and bring a sense of pride and achievement and a sense of not far to go now :lol: im forever on the hunt for the remaining Buster's and Whizzer & Chips i need.