Scream and Misty Halloweeen Special

Discuss all the girls comics that have appeared over the years. Excellent titles like Bunty, Misty, Spellbound, Tammy and June, amongst many others, can all be remembered here.

Moderator: AndyB

philcom55

Re: Scream and Misty Halloweeen Special

Post by philcom55 »

One especially clever thing about the Scream! & Misty Special is the way it maximizes the possible readership by catering equally (or almost equally) to girls and boys alike - possibly the first time this has ever happened in a British comic of its type. This set me thinking that it might be really fascinating to see it developed into an ongoing weekly in the style of the old Whizzer & Chips, consisting of two rival comics in one, each with their own supernatural host, their own unique style and maybe even their own real-life editor. Each issue could then feature an ongoing debate about the relative scariness of girls' and boys' stories, with readers ('Misty-ites' and 'Scream-ites'?) being encouraged to vote on that particular week's tales. I know it'll never happen, but I'd love to see it nonetheless!

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

philcom55 wrote:One especially clever thing about the Scream! & Misty Special is the way it maximizes the possible readership by catering equally (or almost equally) to girls and boys alike - possibly the first time this has ever happened in a British comic of its type. This set me thinking that it might be really fascinating to see it developed into an ongoing weekly in the style of the old Whizzer & Chips, consisting of two rival comics in one, each with their own supernatural host, their own unique style and maybe even their own real-life editor. Each issue could then feature an ongoing debate about the relative scariness of girls' and boys' stories, with readers ('Misty-ites' and 'Scream-ites'?) being encouraged to vote on that particular week's tales. I know it'll never happen, but I'd love to see it nonetheless!
That idea does sound fun. If it does become ongoing (maybe a monthly) I want to see more Sentinels and 13th Floor. Boy, I hope my comics shop hurries up and gets it in, because I want to read Return of the Sentinels!

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

It was a wait, but my copy of the special finally arrived in the comic shop. "Return of the Sentinels" was what I read first.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

For those who have now read both The Sentinels and the sequel, any ideas on how and why the Sentinel has regained its power and whether they might do another Sentinel sequel?

helsbels

Post by helsbels »

Tammyfan wrote:For those who have now read both The Sentinels and the sequel, any ideas on how and why the Sentinel has regained its power and whether they might do another Sentinel sequel?
I wondered that too, as at the end of the original series the block in the alternative world had been blown up and the Richards family moved into the flat with two doors, blocking the portal. Perhaps somehow the portal has been reopened? I haven't a clue how.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

helsbels wrote:
Tammyfan wrote:For those who have now read both The Sentinels and the sequel, any ideas on how and why the Sentinel has regained its power and whether they might do another Sentinel sequel?
I wondered that too, as at the end of the original series the block in the alternative world had been blown up and the Richards family moved into the flat with two doors, blocking the portal. Perhaps somehow the portal has been reopened? I haven't a clue how.
Maybe it's something to do with how the Sentinel got its power in the first place, which has not been explained either.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

helsbels wrote:
Here's another mystery. Who wrote that message "Welcome to Hell" in the Gateway, and on the side of the alt-world? It has to be someone who knows the secret of the Sentinel. The only ones in the alt-world from the original series who knew that were alt-Sally, alt-Richards and his family, and his resistance cell. If they have heard that the portal has somehow reopened, I imagine they would have been quick to take advantage.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Perhaps Mr Richards merely had the door to the alt-world sealed up instead of bricking it as instructed. Then the alt-world built a new Sentinel on the other side and the connections met up again with a new flat with two doors. The Richards family left the Sentinel (or perhaps died). Finally, someone unsealed the door, not realising why it had been sealed.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

I just read in Comic Scene that Return of the Sentinels was planned for the second special but was not used because the artist was not available. Rats! Couldn’t they have used another artist?

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

Tammyfan wrote:I just read in Comic Scene that Return of the Sentinels was planned for the second special but was not used because the artist was not available. Rats! Couldn’t they have used another artist?
and it looks like the third special is all 13th floor if the title is anything to go by so perhaps it will be in the Tammy/Jinty special.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

big bad bri wrote:
Tammyfan wrote:I just read in Comic Scene that Return of the Sentinels was planned for the second special but was not used because the artist was not available. Rats! Couldn’t they have used another artist?
and it looks like the third special is all 13th floor if the title is anything to go by so perhaps it will be in the Tammy/Jinty special.
Here's hoping! They seldom let unpublished material go to waste, do they?

Or maybe Misty will be given her own special. Actually, it would be better for Misty and Scream to have separate specials so they can expand and develop their own material.