Seeking 'Phantom of the Fells' (Bunty?)

Discuss all the girls comics that have appeared over the years. Excellent titles like Bunty, Misty, Spellbound, Tammy and June, amongst many others, can all be remembered here.

Moderator: AndyB

Tammyfan

Re: Seeking 'Phantom of the Fells' (Bunty?)

Post by Tammyfan »

hypnojoo wrote:Richardson has said he turned to illustration/comics after trying his hand at being a farmhand and a professional wrestler. I have no idea of truth of this but love it!
You can try all sorts of things before finding your niche.

helsbels

Post by helsbels »

Hypnojoo, how recent is this article? John Richardson is one of my favourite artists. Is he still around?

hypnojoo

Post by hypnojoo »

The article is 1987 (it's from a defunct ZX Spectrum computer magazine) but I don't know if he's still around sorry - not been able to track down much else from/about him but will let you know if I find anything more!

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

stevezodiac wrote:I have a Sunday Telegraph magazine from around the late sixties with a cover article on DC Thomson.
Somewhere I have a similarly-critical article from around that time, Steve, but if memory serves, which unfortunately it doesn't always these days, it was in The Sunday Times. As I don't know where it is, and I know that I haven't packed it yet, could you please post a scan of the front cover.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Kashgar wrote:And it is definitely by John Richardson.
Did he not also do some humour strips in the Hotspur? I am sure that he did Dim Dan and a mountie strip that I can't name at this moment in time.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Phoenix wrote:
stevezodiac wrote:I have a Sunday Telegraph magazine from around the late sixties with a cover article on DC Thomson.
Somewhere I have a similarly-critical article from around that time, Steve, but if memory serves, which unfortunately it doesn't always these days, it was in The Sunday Times. As I don't know where it is, and I know that I haven't packed it yet, could you please post a scan of the front cover.
If memory serves it shows Brian Thomson, Thomson's managing director walking through a graveyard. The article written by George Rosie was titled 'The Secret World of the Comic Kings'/and it was.substantially reprinted in 'The D C Thomson Bumper Fun Book'.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Phoenix wrote:
Somewhere I have a similarly-critical article from around that time, Steve, but if memory serves, which unfortunately it doesn't always these days, it was in The Sunday Times.
Attachments
Rosiecov.jpg

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Sorry folks but I've only just seen the replies to my post about the magazine article. Yes it was the Sunday Times but my copy is buried in storage.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

I think I have another Sunday magazine from the same period with various Thomson characters skiing down a slope on the cover.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

er...what have you been smoking? :)

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

...Honest! :) I'll try to dig it out.

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

philcom55 wrote:...Honest! :) I'll try to dig it out.
I think Phil is right Steve. I think the cover is a version of the cover of the Dandy Monster Comic for 1945. I'm fairly certain I have the same magazine somewhere.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

It was the Observer Magazine I was thinking of. Here's the cover.
Attachments
observer.jpg

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

philcom55 wrote:It was the Observer Magazine I was thinking of.
I came across my copy last night while searching through a box file of cuttings that was just one item in an auction lot of comic-related material collected by the late, and still greatly lamented, Des O'Leary, that I bought in Godalming. In this instance the source is at least as important as the item.

billstorie

Post by billstorie »

Hi folks! Is anyone aware of a listing/checklist of John's artwork? Been trying to build a collection of his art but his work pops up here and there seemingly at random which makes it problematic to say the least.
Also, I'm reasonably sure John was the artist on a strip called "Amanda" which ran in the Sun sometime around the 70's - if memory serves it was a less explicit version of Ron Embleton's Wicked Wanda strip and something at the back of my ever-more-failing memory says the strip was revived in the Daily Star in the late 70's - although that could be me mixing things up - does anyone have information on the strip ? Cheers!!