Favourite photo stories

Discuss all the girls comics that have appeared over the years. Excellent titles like Bunty, Misty, Spellbound, Tammy and June, amongst many others, can all be remembered here.

Moderator: AndyB

Tammyfan

Favourite photo stories

Post by Tammyfan »

Photo stories don’t seem to get the remembrance that picture stories do, but does anyone have any photostories that stick with them or have any particular fondness for? Are there any photostories they want to discuss?

There is Luv Lisa, of course. One photostory that stuck with me was “Slaves of the Nightmare Factory”, which is discussed at https://jintycomic.wordpress.com/2017/0 ... y-1983-84/

Another was Debbie’s “Just One Leading Lady!”

Phoenix
Guru

Re: Favourite photo stories

Post by Phoenix »

Tammyfan wrote:Photo stories don’t seem to get the remembrance that picture stories do, but does anyone have any photostories that stick with them or have any particular fondness for? Are there any photostories they want to discuss?
Having been brought up on Thomsons' text story papers for boys, in addition to novels that I borrowed from Lancaster Junior Library, I was very dismissive of those serials that they started to present in pictorial form. I got used to them eventually of course but I could never entirely accept them because they were determining how I saw the characters as physical entities rather than leaving that job to me. Consequently photo stories were therefore automatically many degrees worse.

peace355

Post by peace355 »

There isn't many photo stories that stick in my mind, I haven't read a lot of Suzy but there seemed to be some decent photo stories in that. Although the ones that I was most interested in were those that mixed art with photo The Strange Story of the Demon's Cradle and The Ninth Nightmare

Luv, Lisa of course as you mentioned, also Katy at St. K's was fun. There are a couple of one off stories in annuals that I thought were good, one in particular from the 1987 Judy annual "The Wishing Well". A girl wishes for her parents "good girl" to appear for the day (the parents are always asking where their good girl has gone now that the daughter doesn't help out). She figures she can have fun while her double does chores, but at the end of the day, the double wishes she can stay and the original to disappear. The story has an ambiguous ending with one girl left at the wishing well.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

I've not seen any photo stories in girls comics but i do remember loving Doomlord and a few others in the new Eagle relaunch in 82 which was unusual for a boys comic.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Other photo story favourites of mine were "Hot Gossip!" and "For Sam's Sake!' from Bunty. "Sandie's Sweets", also from Bunty, intrigued me too. Sandie is convinced her new sweets have a power, but is getting greedy and selfish about it. I would have liked to have known how it ended. "Friend or Foe?" was another favourite (I know how that one ended).

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Sandie's Sweets ended in BUNTY 2158 (May 22 1999). Regrettably, I don't currently have any time to read it.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Phoenix wrote:Sandie's Sweets ended in BUNTY 2158 (May 22 1999). Regrettably, I don't currently have any time to read it.
It’s ok, thank you for the info about the end date. It probably ended with Sandie losing the remaining sweets and realising how horrible she had been (or throwing them away once she realised).

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Mr Evans the Talking Rabbit from Princess II is one that has received comment elsewhere here.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Tammyfan wrote:Mr Evans the Talking Rabbit from Princess II is one that has received comment elsewhere here.
Not exactly a recommendation for photo stories though, is it?

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

In the light of my views on photo stories, which I made clear last Thursday, I have decided that none of them will feature in BUNTY AND HER SISTERS. I hope nobody objects.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Phoenix wrote:In the light of my views on photo stories, which I made clear last Thursday, I have decided that none of them will feature in BUNTY AND HER SISTERS. I hope nobody objects.
Except maybe to no “Luv, Lisa”.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Interesting that Girl II, a photostory comic, lasted 8 years, which is an impressive run for photostories. Or was that due to it running “Patty’s World”?

“Animals and You” used to run a photostory, featuring a pet of course. But now it doesn’t even have that. It’s all soppy animal stuff and no stories at all.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Tammyfan wrote:Except maybe to no “Luv, Lisa”.
I suppose I could make Luv, Lisa a special case. The trouble is though that once you open the door a fraction, all the others will be clamouring to be admitted, so I'm not promising. Leave it with me for the time being as other members might wish to express their opinion.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Phoenix wrote:
Tammyfan wrote:Except maybe to no “Luv, Lisa”.
I suppose I could make Luv, Lisa a special case. The trouble is though that once you open the door a fraction, all the others will be clamouring to be admitted, so I'm not promising. Leave it with me for the time being as other members might wish to express their opinion.
I think “Luv, Lisa” is most likely to be the only one. Nothing else of substance photostory-wise from Bunty and Her Sisters has come up here.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

As I've been feeling quite lethargic this morning, I extracted the relevant issues of BUNTY in order to read Sandie's Sweets, which is a seven-episode serial from 2152 (April 10th 1999) to 2158 (22 May 1999). Interestingly, in the very first panel there is a packet of Rice Krispies on the breakfast table. I wonder how much Kellogs paid Thomsons for that product placement. Anyway, Sandie Jenkins' mother has run out of bread for lunch, so she gives enough money to Sandie and her brother, George, so that they can get sandwiches from the corner shop, whose new owner is called Mrs Broome. George says that he and his mates call her Mrs Broomstick because she looks like a witch. Once in the shop, Sandie reaches the same conclusion. Nevertheless, she buys some sweets called 'Sweet Dreams' with mottoes on them, which Mrs Broome recommends. As Sandie leaves the shop, Mrs Broome tells her she hopes all her dreams come true. The motto on the first sweet she eats is 'Moneybags', which makes Sandie think about what she could buy with lots of money, like a red car that she passes, which has the number plate SAJ 13, coincidentally her initials, as her full name is Sandra Anne Jenkins, and she is 13 years old.

Later, a classmate called Colleen arrives late because her street had been closed off due to a bank robbery, whose thieves had used a red car for their getaway. Sandie tells her teacher the car's number, and the police are informed. That night a policeman turns up at Sandie's to tell her that for helping to catch the thieves she gets a reward of £500. When one of her friends says they will have to start calling her 'Moneybags', Sandie's thought comment is "That's what it said on that sweet. But - But surely it's just a coincidence!" Needless to say, the story continues in the same vein.