Search for Story in Annual

Discuss all the girls comics that have appeared over the years. Excellent titles like Bunty, Misty, Spellbound, Tammy and June, amongst many others, can all be remembered here.

Moderator: AndyB

peace355

Search for Story in Annual

Post by peace355 »

I've had a query about a story from annual on my site that I and others have tried to track down with no luck yet.

The initial question was as follows:

"I live in Canada and every Christmas between 1978-1987 my grandmother would send me and my siblings Beano, Dandy, Twinkle and Beezer annuals. For a couple of years she sent Bunty annuals. I was telling my son and daughter about a creepy story about a girl who is being confused for another girl who looks like her. She ends up running into her at a dance club and is frightened because of the girls red/flashing eyes. The end of the story is creepy because her father picks her up in his car and as she gets into the car she explains to her father what happened and the last panel is of him turning to look at his daughter and he has the red/flashing eyes. I would grateful if you could tell me the name of the story and in which annual it can be found…incidentally I’m not 100% sure it was a Bunty annual, but I’m sure it is between 1980-1985."

Some further details after questioning "I can guarantee that the final panel of the story is a close up of the father’s face turning towards his daughter. He either says “don’t worry” or “tell me all about it”. His eyes look as though they are flashing. I seem to recall it was printed in that monocolour fashion (i.e., black and green and white or black and orange and white" - which may mean the "red eyes" may be misdirection as I first thought of Diana story with red eyed people but that didn't match.

Other annuals they got sent were Oor Willie, The Broons, Beano, Dandy, and Twinkle on a regular basis and periodically Topper, Beezer, Bunty, Cor. I would imagine it would be too dark for Twinkle story.

Here's what has been ruled out by myself and others:
Bunty Annuals 1976-1985
Mandy Annuals 1979, 1981-1983, 1986.
Judy Annuals 1979-1992
Diana Annual 1982-1986
Debbie Annuals 1980-1984

if the time period of 1980-1985 is correct, there are just a few gaps I'm missing in the Mandy and Diana annuals, if someone could help.

Mistyfan also checked Misty annuals (other than 1985), Jinty and Tammy annuals and ruled them out.

It does seem more detailed request than others I have got, so hoping someone will be able to help.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Re: Search for Story in Annual

Post by colcool007 »

What are the gaps in the Judy and Diana annuals as I may be able to fill them?
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Retro1972

Post by Retro1972 »

Sounds a really good story. Very Stepford Wives. A book I am about to read . Original film was 1975 but not sure when first shown on UK tv screens. Which may have given the writer the idea.

Goof

Post by Goof »

The Story is Who...? from Mandy Annual 1985. Printed in black, white and orange. Artist Ron Lumsden.

peace355

Post by peace355 »

Thank you so much Goof! I was suspecting it could be a Mandy annual as it had some creepy stories in the 80s. Any chance of a scan of the story, if not it's okay I'm sure person will be happy to know what book it is.

Goof

Post by Goof »

No problem, Peace, I'll do a scan of the story later tonight or tomorrow. I'm not surprised your correspondent had such a clear recollection of it - it's a genuinely spooky story.

Goof

Post by Goof »

First three pages:

Goof

Post by Goof »

Last three pages:

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

Thank you for the scans Goof. It sure is a creepy one!

Retro1972

Post by Retro1972 »

Yeah thanks Goof. Spooky title and great art as well.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

A bit frustrating as no explanation is given.

peace355

Post by peace355 »

Just to pass on David's thanks too, he was very grateful
stevezodiac wrote:A bit frustrating as no explanation is given.
That was often the case with these short spooky stories, ending on the twist reveal. I suppose that leaves the bigger impact but it also leaves a lot of questions.

Goof

Post by Goof »

There was a bit of a fashion in DCT annuals during the 80's for spooky stories with a strong twist in the tail. Judy produced several where characters who acted and thought like living people turned out at the last minute to be ghosts.

Retro1972

Post by Retro1972 »

My guess was they were either aliens or robots looking to replace the human race. Stepfordwives/bodysnatchers.

comixminx

Post by comixminx »

Quite impressive! Though as mentioned above, a shame in some ways that there is no attempt at an explanation. However, it does leave a lot to the imagination which is always fun!
jintycomic.wordpress.com/ Excellent and weird stories from the past - with amazing art to boot.