John Richardson’s artwork in girls’ comics

Discuss all the girls comics that have appeared over the years. Excellent titles like Bunty, Misty, Spellbound, Tammy and June, amongst many others, can all be remembered here.

Moderator: AndyB

Goof

John Richardson’s artwork in girls’ comics

Post by Goof »

I don’t think there will be any other contributions to this, so here’s the final list.

peace355

Re: John Richardson’s artwork in girls’ comics

Post by peace355 »

Thanks for putting that together Goof.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

My new acquisitions have turned up another John Richardson in Tammy: The Duchess of Dead-End Drive, 1974.

Goof

Post by Goof »

Thanks Tammyfan, I'll add it to the list. What's the date of the issue this story is in? Is it a Strange Story?

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

It's not a Strange Story. It's a mini serial. It started 2 March 1974 and ended 16 March 1974.
Last edited by Tammyfan on 28 Aug 2019, 22:16, edited 1 time in total.

Goof

Post by Goof »

Thank you, Tammyfan. That's quite a find, as he did so few serials. If you find the start and end dates, please let me know.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

The start and end dates have been added.

Goof

Post by Goof »

Thanks again. I'll post a revised list tomorrow.

Goof

Post by Goof »

Here's the revised list.

Tammyfan

Post by Tammyfan »

I've found another John Richardson in girls' comics: Clueless - the blunderdog, a regular cartoon from Princess Tina. The issue is dated week ending 27 May 1972.

Goof

Post by Goof »

Thank you, Tammyfan. I think I saw this series some time ago when hunting for Happy Days stories, but had forgotten about it. Richardson wasn't the regular artist, but did several numbers as filler. The series ran from 18 March to 5 August 1972, and as far as I can tell, Richardson did four of them. The others are 22 April, 29 April and 15 July.

Revised list attached.

comixminx

Post by comixminx »

Goof wrote:
21 Oct 2019, 20:32
Thank you, Tammyfan. I think I saw this series some time ago when hunting for Happy Days stories, but had forgotten about it. Richardson wasn't the regular artist, but did several numbers as filler. The series ran from 18 March to 5 August 1972, and as far as I can tell, Richardson did four of them. The others are 22 April, 29 April and 15 July.

Revised list attached.

Thanks for putting together this list! Can you send it as a soft copy at all? It would be useful to have it in a format that allows easy searching in a way that an image doesn't. We could post the list on the Jinty blog as a post about this creator, for wider reference. Or alternatively, would you like to write a guest post on the Jinty blog?
jintycomic.wordpress.com/ Excellent and weird stories from the past - with amazing art to boot.

Goof

Post by Goof »

I can certainly send you a soft copy of the list, Comixminx. I keep it in an Excel spreadsheet, and I could also easily copy it into Word or PDF. Any of these formats would be searchable, but I don’t know how compatible they would be with the Jinty website. If any of these would do, I can send it to you in that format if you will PM me an email address.

I’m honoured by your suggestion that I could write the post! I’m happy to have a go at this, although it would be very thin on facts about the artist’s career as I haven’t been able to find out much about him. I suggest that I send you something in draft along with the list, and you can see what you think of it. This will probably take a few days as I’m waiting for something to arrive through the post before making a small addition to the list.

comixminx

Post by comixminx »

No need to be honoured Goof - the more the merrier in the comics bloggery game! As you say there isn't much known about him (same for others) but if you could write a bit about what you think about him as an artist, and about the range of work he has done, that is the sort of thing I would be after.
jintycomic.wordpress.com/ Excellent and weird stories from the past - with amazing art to boot.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Minx, that's the right attitude. The more we can upload from our minds to the internet, the more we ensure some of the knowledge we have accumulated is preserved in some fashion.

Goof, I look forward to your article and remember John did quite a lot of work for the D C Thomson girls' picture libraries.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!