Looking to ID 2 early/mid-80s annual stories

Discuss all the girls comics that have appeared over the years. Excellent titles like Bunty, Misty, Spellbound, Tammy and June, amongst many others, can all be remembered here.

Moderator: AndyB

Bunnycat74

Looking to ID 2 early/mid-80s annual stories

Post by Bunnycat74 »

Thanks so much for the add. About 25 years ago when I was at university my mother chucked out my comic annuals collection. Since then, two stories have haunted me and I'd love to find the right source. The first is fairly straightforward as it's a story from Bunty about the Four Marys. In this story they wake up to find a meteor has crash landed at the school leaving a large crater. Soon after, the pupils start to act strangely, some getting headaches and feeling forgetful etc. I can't remember the ending but it's likely to have been from a Bunty annual between 1981 and 1988 (the year I finished reading them).

The other is trickier, as I can't remember if it was from a Tracy, Judy or Mandy. These are the 3 other annuals I collected (same years as above). In this story a girl goes to visit a strange old lady living in a creaky haunted mansion. I think she may be investigating the disappearance of some other girls. Anyway there are some spooky looking portraits lining the walls and it turns out that girls are imprisoned behind them and can only move their eyes, giving that distinctive 'eyes following you around the room' feeling. At the end the girl disappears and another girl comes to the house, and we find out the first girl is also staring out from one of the portraits. This story scared the living daylights out of me when I was young and I'd be thrilled to find it again.

Thanks in advance!

Goof

Re: Looking to ID 2 early/mid-80s annual stories

Post by Goof »

The Four Marys story was in the Bunty 1982 Annual. I can't place the other story at the moment, but I'll have a hunt for it.

Goof

Re: Looking to ID 2 early/mid-80s annual stories

Post by Goof »

The second story is "...The Portraits" from Mandy Annual 1985. Here's an extract:

Happy to post the rest of the story if you wish.