DFC story conclusions....?

From the ashes of the DFC rises... the Phoenix.

Moderator: AndyB

meherenow

DFC story conclusions....?

Post by meherenow »

...or my son in tears part 2 (see the Classics from the Comics thread).

Having bought the entire run of the DFC from David Fickling Comics on eBay it occured to me that the stories didn't finish in issue 43!! Now I'd rather not have a repeat of what happened when The Space Kids abruptly ended - although you guys helped me out with that one and I'm hoping someone out there can now!

I know that when the DFC finished the story conclusions were put up on the website and I am HOPING that someone here managed to grab them, ahem, somehow, before the site closed down.

We're only on issue 7 so no rush :D I have given my boy fair warning that the stories might not have a finish, just like the Space Kids, but I am being hit with all the questions already (and my five year old ain't fooled with no free advert "posters" in The Beano so I can't think of a suitable made up story to tell of the DFC's demise other than the truth).

Any help gratefully received!

Digifiend

Re: DFC story conclusions....?

Post by Digifiend »

My first instinct was to check archive.org. The correct version of the website is indeed there, but the images are missing. :(
http://web.archive.org/web/200907220940 ... dfc.co.uk/

-MikeD-

Post by -MikeD- »

If we're no help :) , you could ask on http://supercomicsadventuresquad.blogspot.com/
which I think has links to most of the creators.
My new art blog...beta version... http://mikedcuk.blogspot.co.uk

meherenow

Post by meherenow »

Digifiend wrote:My first instinct was to check archive.org. The correct version of the website is indeed there, but the images are missing. :(
http://web.archive.org/web/200907220940 ... dfc.co.uk/

Arrggh! I know, that was my first port of call but it seems they were originally put on the web with flash and this is not saved by the web archive...

Tried email David Fickling Comics but I got an answer back about copyright issues etc. I mentioned I was looking forward to The Phoenix and was told that not to worry, there will be "brand new stories with fresh beginnings, middles and ends with the launch of the Phoenix".

Er, well, beginnings and middles anyway.... :wink:

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Flash does get saved by archive.org. But like with images, sometimes it fails (often because the image url doesn't match the page it's on, and the other domain wasn't crawled) or is blocked by a robots.txt file.

Copyright issues? Maybe that's because some of the stories, including Monkey Nuts, have had books out - trade paperbacks. meherenow, you might end up having to buy those, which hopefully would have the conclusions DFC never got to print.

meherenow

Post by meherenow »

I saw from the (archive) site the Monkey Nuts pages, and a lot of Spider Moon pages. Will probably buy those depending on how my boy feels about the sudden endings when they come.

I see that John Blake "vanished into the mist", are/were there any more episodes planned?

No spoilers please of course!!!

johnfreeman96

Post by johnfreeman96 »

meherenow wrote:...or my son in tears part 2 (see the Classics from the Comics thread).

Having bought the entire run of the DFC from David Fickling Comics on eBay it occured to me that the stories didn't finish in issue 43!! Now I'd rather not have a repeat of what happened when The Space Kids abruptly ended - although you guys helped me out with that one and I'm hoping someone out there can now!

I know that when the DFC finished the story conclusions were put up on the website and I am HOPING that someone here managed to grab them, ahem, somehow, before the site closed down.

We're only on issue 7 so no rush :D I have given my boy fair warning that the stories might not have a finish, just like the Space Kids, but I am being hit with all the questions already (and my five year old ain't fooled with no free advert "posters" in The Beano so I can't think of a suitable made up story to tell of the DFC's demise other than the truth).

Any help gratefully received!
Mirabils is being published in graphic albums (volume 2 should be here in February) by Print Media and Frontier has just been released, too. Random House have published some collections as part of their DFC Library, but no more are planned, ie it doesn't look like they plan to publish continuations of what featured in The DFC. The rights on many DFC strips have reverted to their creators so they are free to publlsh them elsewhere. Indeed, I've looked at several of them for PMP, but not progressed discussions, partly because our collection plans for our own strips have changed several times!
John Freeman
British Comics News Blog: http://www.downthetubes.net 

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

I thought they were always owned by the creators?