I SPY--------- THE FIRST EPIC SERIAL

Formerly known as Classics from the Comics, this forum covers all of DCT's retired titles, like Beezer, Topper, Victor, Nutty and Sparky!

Moderator: AndyB

Kashgar
Guru

Re: I SPY--------- THE FIRST EPIC SERIAL

Post by Kashgar »

In fact Freddy had already appeared in the pages of Sparky drawn by Albert Holroyd.

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

Freddie's nemesis `Snider the Spider` wasn't half as ugly as I. Fly's `Spider` he had a face that would warp steel!
A Face unclouded by thought.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

other new SPARKY strips from 1970 included this JOHN GEERING vehicle,-----which, despite it's very animated-cartoon-like style, never clicked with readers to the same extent that PUSS n BOOTS did:

another departure for the comic came in the middle of the year, with IPC regular MIKE LACEY contributing this very good strip: even the concept and execution of these tales was very in the IPC mould; a very unusual contribution for D C THOMSON in this period.

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

Mike Lacey drew the Swots & Blots for Smash!

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Kashgar wrote:In fact Freddy had already appeared in the pages of Sparky drawn by Albert Holroyd.
All the more reason for using the Freddie name. Characters have altered look and even personality in other cases when drawn by different artists.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

the following 1970 SPARKY strip was a real oddity, and didn't run too long.......quite incredible it was awarded 3 pages in this instance. I ronically, this was penned by JAMES FOX, who took up the I SPY duties from issue 500 onwards, in 1974:

however, this topic is dealing with the comic's history, and so this curio-relic is getting a mention here........

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

the selfsame artist, JAMES FOX, was responsible for the third incarnation of I SPY and, following the removal of BARNEY BULLDOG from the SPARKY cover----and indeed from the comic itself-------from issue 500 [Aug 16, 1974] onwards, the comic's cover took on a more free-for-all approach, and this was one of the more imaginitive variation of the comic-logo:

LES BARTON'S other comics work of the period:

although LES remained on the SPARKY payroll until near the very end, his work invariably turned up more frequently over at IPC in the early 1970s, and first up is KNIGHT SCHOOL : [Whizzer and Chips, 1972] in which he penned another 'identity-unseen' central character:

also from the same era of the same comic comes a typical example of LES' frequent ghosting work, in this case of a TERRY BAVE character:

and from COR!! of 1971 we see NOBBY'S HOBBIES, another ghosting venture:

at first glance, the above page resembles the style of FRANK McDIARMID, though I'm pretty sure this is a BARTON offering.

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

I only bought the first two issues of "Whizzer & Chips" Really didn't like it and I steered clear of the I.P.C titles. I stopped buying comics cept for US Marvel in 1971 anyhow!

That `Four Legged Fred` strip started out as a one page type `Fun` strip in its first outing, going to the two-page James Fox drawn effort from No2. Never known that happen before!

Going back to `Trouble Bruin` (Brewing! Get-it?) `I. Spy` -sort of- turned up in one episode!

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

yeah, I know that one; he turned up in 'bee' format!

I SPY: THE WILDERNESS MONTHS:

During late May-early Oct 1970, SPARKY comic was I SPY- free, however, the title still turned out imaginitive material in the main, and even today, much of the non-I SPY stuff stands up very well, and the comic from this period is well worth seeking out.

A good example of the fare in this VIC NEILL page:

Even BARNEY BULLDOG could come up with the imaginitive goods at times, with this well-executed central gag:

-----however, let's take a closer look at that last front cover page: the title is inhabited by a mysterious black-shrouded figure [mostly obscured]:

-----as indeed, are the next two issues [at least to sharp-eyed SPARKY readers!]

-----looks familiar? Well, it did to me at the time: this was the first indication to hardcore I SPY fans that their hero was about to return, and the confirmation came from this very imaginitive 'reader's letter' on SPARKY'S FUN FARE page:

above: this was when I realized that I SPY was most definately on his way back! ---the joy!------artwork likely by JIMMY GLEN. my memory played tricks on me however, I always assumed this was an eraser at use here, rather than ink blots.

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

In an earlier letter to the "Ask Spoofer" section of `Funfare` where Spoofer McGraw gives his particular answers to readers queries, one such was asked about what happened to I.Spy? Spoofer replies...but as with that readers letter to Sparky, the hand of a certain secret agent covers Spoofers reply with `Ink` just as Spoofer gives the answer! I think it was in one of the 280 plus numbered issues!

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

Before Rab! embarks on the first of the "Brian Walker" B/W `I. Spy` series (Oct 70 to Mar 71 & June to Nov 71) There were "Three!" villians in the 70/71 season that made returns in the 1971 season. Two are pretty easy to deduce! But who is the third?

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

A reprint I Spy is in the new Beano Max not drawn by Les or Brian Walker But the last artist...
it was nice to see I spy again..

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

you've got me there, Alan......I'm finally stumped! [MR X and MASTERMIND are the obvious ones]........does AYE Mc SPY count?

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

WOW! never though i'd stump `you` Rab! The third villian is actually "Fingers" (The Voice) he is one of "DR Q's" `Helpers` in the first story of the 1971 series! Check it out and you'll see its him all right! Must check out Beano Max-thanks Peter!

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

yes, I remember 'FINGERS' from the 'VOICE'. Alan....very much a 'spiv' character [cigar hanging out the mouth. the lot].......his dubious character will be introduced on here before long.