Beezer - Hungry Hoss

Formerly known as Classics from the Comics, this forum covers all of DCT's retired titles, like Beezer, Topper, Victor, Nutty and Sparky!

Moderator: AndyB

AndyB
Throgmorton

Beezer - Hungry Hoss

Post by AndyB »

When I looked at this pic, I saw Hungry Hoss - I thought he was new to the 1980s!

Was he drawn by Bill Ritchie back in those days?

philcom55

Re: Beezer - Hungry Hoss

Post by philcom55 »

Though his horse looks very similar the cowboy character being pursued by 'Moonkids' on the warpath was in fact Woolly West - also drawn by Bill Ritchie - who ran in Beezer from 1959-60 then continued to appear in the Annuals until 1966.

- Phil R.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

blog updated with this and more..

Imagespot the difference... :D

Raven

Post by Raven »

I like Hungry Hoss. He's one of the best comic hosses. He looks so happy in that title panel, just scoffing away.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Speaking of cartoon steeds I always had a soft spot for Figaro's four-legged friend in the pages of Topper - the long-suffering Pedro, as drawn by Tom Bannister. :)

- Phil R.

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Pedro was a favourite of mine too. I loved the way he was way more intelligent than his 'master' and via thought bubbles poured scorn on his schemes. I also loved Colonel Blink's dog Towser for the same reason. 'Silly old fool!'

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

'Silly old fool!' I'll correct myself here. Blink's dog was called Rover not Towser. Towser was the dog of Pop, Dick and Harry although both canines were cut from the same, smarter than their owners, slightly flea-ridden cloth.

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

And drawn by the same artist.

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Absolutely. Some of Tom Bannister's 'Pop, Dick and Harry' covers for the Beezer were fantastic examples of comic art.