Christmas Classics?

Formerly known as Classics from the Comics, this forum covers all of DCT's retired titles, like Beezer, Topper, Victor, Nutty and Sparky!

Moderator: AndyB

David

Christmas Classics?

Post by David »

I don't get Classics often, and I don't have a stockist near me (Salford shopping "city"), so my nearest is Manchester Arndale (WHSmiths). Is this months Classics a Christmas issue (I like Christmas comics best) and have I missed the December one?

ISPYSHHHGUY

Re: Christmas Classics?

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

There's only one shop that stocks 'CLASSICS' in the entire city where I live, David: twice I had to mail off to THOMSON for missing issues.

Here's the current edition [on sale from last Tuesday, methinks]:

Highlights inside include; BOB NIXON 'GRANDPA' circa 1973, a one-page 'PUSS n BOOTS' from 1972, 'DAN' with a NEW YEAR theme from C. GRIGG, 'CORPOROL CLOTT' from NEW YEAR '68, a rare 'MOONSTERS' from 1967 [they musta bin listening to you, PETER], BAXENDALE BUNCH circa '61,'STREET KIDS' from 1970, 'MICKEY the MONKEY' from WATKINS '66,and various snow-bound themes, including a later LAW 'DENNIS'.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Lets hope the moonsters become a monthly Classic...it is just so creative and fun..

Its a snow themed issue.. 8)

no Christmas theme this year:(

grumpy old man

Post by grumpy old man »

No Christmas theme, but it does have Matt Braddock AND The Wolf of Kabul. So maybe it’s that long awaited adventure themed issue? (or the nearest we’ll get)

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

grumpy old man wrote:No Christmas theme, but it does have Matt Braddock AND The Wolf of Kabul. So maybe it’s that long awaited adventure themed issue? (or the nearest we’ll get)
Both strips continue into the next issue too. Introducing the adventure strips gradually is a good move, rather than risk alienating people with an all-adventure issue. Personally it wouldn't bother me but some people seem divided on adventure vs funnies for some reason.

Lew
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

David

Post by David »

Thanks everyone. I always love the back cover colour strip, I save it till last, just like I did whenever there was a colour strip in Big Comic (back cover usually instead of an ad I think).

But why not put The Broons and Oor Wullie in Classics? I know technically their not from comics, but Oor Wullie did have Summer Special comics.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Because English and Welsh won't understand words like Braw and Jings! The only other place I've seen those phrases is in the Jocks and Geordies strip. Not even in something like Red Rory, surprisingly.

Sorry it took so long for anyone to reply David.

STARBOY

Post by STARBOY »

It may come as a surprise but most Scots don't talk like Oor Wullie or Grandpa Broon (sadly in some cases as some Scots use of language is, lets be honest ruddy awful - it's lazy speak not a proper accent anymore). Words like Braw, Hoots-mon, jings, crivens, so help ma boab (the latter sometimes for a laugh) etc are not used in everyday language, if at all by most Scots. "Jings" on it's own is a general experession I have heard in England as a sign of surprise and Bairn is exrtensively used in Scotland and the North of England as. But "Oor Wullie speak" as I like to call it, is more a DCT comic book creation now, originally very lossely based on Doric a North East Scottish (Dundee / Aberdeen etc) dialect. To be honest in the 60s when I read the Broons /Oor Wullie etc I sometimes had to read the word balloons a couple of times to understand what was said (and I'm a lowland Scot - i.e. Glasgow area) so I can understand why this wasn't used in any of DCT more UK based comics (Dandy , Victor etc). A proper Scots GLasgow "lasd about town" character would be be more at home in VIZ to be honest lol :D

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

In other words, The Simpsons' Groundskeeper Willie is an outdated stereotype, as he speaks using most of the words you mentioned.

Bairn is the only one used where I live - you're right, it is commonly used in the North of England - I live in Hull. Never heard jings though, only read it in The Jocks & The Geordies.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

anachronistic 'Scottishisms' do turn up in real life in Scotland: it is still possible to hear terms such as ' the pair wee sowell'' [poor little soul], 'fit like?' [how are you, in Aberdeen-speak] 'tcheuchters' [country yokels], 'soor' for sour, and many, many more.......

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

Jings I suspect is the same as Bejapers in Ireland. I'll leave you all to work out what I mean ;)

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Like in the CBBC/Cbeebies (yes, it's been shown under both brands) cartoon Jakers, where the main character kind of has that as a catchphrase. I guess Jakers is a corrupted Bejapers.

Brendan McGuire

Post by Brendan McGuire »

I've always knownit as Bejabbers :o

STARBOY

Post by STARBOY »

No I'm not saying that the likes of Groundskeeper Willie, The Broons and Oor Wullie etc are outdated or stereotypes (well perhaps Groundskeeper Wullie is - then again perhaps not lol). I was just stating that "Wullies" language is based on Dioric which is an Aberden/Dundee dialect and that language is mostly used in that area and not throughout Scotland (around 3/5th of Scots live in the Glasgow/Edinburgh region not in Aberdeen/Dundee). Then again perhaps Robert Burns said it best :

O wad some Power the giftie gie us
To see oursels as ithers see us

It wad frae monie a blunder free us,
An' foolish notion;
What air in dress an' gait wad lea'e us,
An' ev'n devotion!

PS and no we don't speak like the above either (allthough it may sound that way to you :D (translated the above says "to see ourselves as others see us")