Sparky 1965 to 1973

Formerly known as Classics from the Comics, this forum covers all of DCT's retired titles, like Beezer, Topper, Victor, Nutty and Sparky!

Moderator: AndyB

alanultron5

Re: Sparky 1965 to 1973

Post by alanultron5 »

I have every `Champ` edition. The P&P strip is reprints of their 1971-72 adventures! The `I. Spy` strip however, is original!

Nice to know they are back in Dandy Lew! A little bit of `Sparky` comic lives on!
A Face unclouded by thought.

Chris O'Leary

Post by Chris O'Leary »

Well, as I am having a clear-out in advance of getting married next year, I discovered that my (almost-complete) run of Sparkys from no.403 to no.500 contained Snip and Snap as well as Puss 'n' Boots - two of my favourite-ever strips. Thank you to people here in solving (what was to me) the mystery of the Snip and Snap artist! Also thank you for confirming that that range contains the entire run of Snip & Snap.

It seemed silly to start a new thread though no.500 is actually from Aug 17, 1974 - and marks a definite change in appearance with its headline "LAFFF WITH SPARKY" (which can't have made much sense to many readers). Even though the discussion on this thread is from seven years ago and beyond, it seemed to be the place to post.

I love Snip and Snap, I've never seen the reprints, but my favourite episodes are the two where the dogs have written a notice to fool the postman. The joke being probably impossible today, because the dogs can't spell.

In issue 427, Snip and Snap stick a notice on the gate over the notice "BEWARE OF THE DOGS" saying GONE ON HOLLADAY". The postie happily opens the gate and strolls up the garden path - then there is a frame of him realising. "HOLLADAY?" (rizzle) In another from issue 473 they hide under a pile of rubble marked "ROKRY". I saw that notice for the first time in 42 years (barring re-reading collection) yesterday and laughed like a drain.

Similarly, when Mrs. O'Latta from next door brings her dog Chip round (issue 422), they correctly guess he is a sausage dog.

I still haven't worked out if you can tell Snip and Snap apart visually, but Snap is the one who comes up with the cunning plans...
Last edited by Chris O'Leary on 02 Aug 2016, 17:24, edited 1 time in total.

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

Chris! `Snip & Snap` are a really funny strip! I highlighted their `adventures` in my `Sparky-File` (A Personal & Illustrated history of the comic on `word`) My favourite was the one where they broke a Window- but tried to get Postie to take the blame! In the final panel, Both dogs and Postie hiding in gardens bushes from dogs angry (Stick weilding) owner who has huge sink plunger covering her face!

Chris O'Leary

Post by Chris O'Leary »

alanultron5 wrote:Chris! `Snip & Snap` are a really funny strip! I highlighted their `adventures` in my `Sparky-File` (A Personal & Illustrated history of the comic on `word`) My favourite was the one where they broke a Window- but tried to get Postie to take the blame! In the final panel, Both dogs and Postie hiding in gardens bushes from dogs angry (Stick weilding) owner who has huge sink plunger covering her face!
There's one where Snip and Snap paint a picture of themselves over the window they have broken, and Postie shoots at "them" just as the old lady finds her window is br... ah! I'll look for that one later, I know where that "plunger" (arrow) came from!

EDIT it's issue 480 from 24 March 1974. Snip and Snap have supplied and positioned the gun pointing at the broken window with their drawings in it to entice Postie to fire it.

SNAP: "THERE! NOW GO AND GET THE HARPOON GUN WITH THE EXTRA LARGE SINK PLUNGER HARPOON!"

In that last frame the old lady is striding along with the plunger on her face and calling sweetly "OH SNI-IP! SNA-AP! PO-STIE! WHERE ARE YOU?" while swishing her cane.

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

That's the one! I was informed on this site that they later appeared in the `Dandy` as the `Red Hot Chilli Dogs` but whether they were drawn by same artist- I don't know!

Said artist who drew `Snip & Snap` in Sparky also drew `Jumbo and Jet` sadly, no where as funny to me!

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Red Hot Chilli Dogs was a colourised reprint of Snip and Snap, therefore definitely the same artist! It appeared in the earliest Dandy Xtreme issues, which also reprinted 1940s Desperate Dan.

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

Thanks Digi! Snip & Snap were a rather overlooked `Gem` in Spaky's history- hence my highlighting them in the file!