Sparky 1965 to 1973

Formerly known as Classics from the Comics, this forum covers all of DCT's retired titles, like Beezer, Topper, Victor, Nutty and Sparky!

Moderator: AndyB

grumpy old man

Re: Sparky 1965 to 1973

Post by grumpy old man »

Freddie Davies used to do a sort of `skit` where he played both Customer (with hat pulled over ears, holding cage with bird and lisping) and the pet shop man, and he would complain about his "Duff Budgie". A full two years before Monty Pythons `Dead Parrot` sketch!
Now that's something I want to see on YouTube! He's just set up his own site http://www.freddiedavies.com/ which has a video section (thou' it's empty at the mo') so it might pop up there.

Whatever next? Did Mike and Bernie Winters team up with Morecombe and Wise to do their version of the Four Yorkshire men pre At Last the 1948 Show?

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

No! They teamed up with "Hope and Keen" in a re-make of "The Four Horsemen Of the Crapopolis" (1968).

Freddie's `Budgie Shop` sketch was screened on no end of variety shows! Even with `mass tape wiping` of such shows in late 60s early 70s there's a possibility it survives on one surviving clip at least!
A Face unclouded by thought.

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

Blimey! This thread started out as a review of the early to mid Sparky years; and has ended up as a discussion of Freddie (Parrot Face) Davies act! Has someone put hallucinogenics in me Bovril? :wink:

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Just to bring this strand back to its title a few bits of info that were actually asked for in the 'I-Spy' strand.
In the Sparky in 1969 the Jungle Ark strip was drawn by Andy Tew and the return of the Klanky strip was the work of Terry Patrick. No idea who drew the short-lived comic strip (21 weeks) Cap'n Hood.
Speaking of early Sparky artists though I've just been mentioning George Radcliffe's work in the Victor and George did also chip in with several nicely drawn adventure strips in Sparky's first two years beginning with 'Watch' the story of a Newfoundland dog in coastal Northumberland (my home turf) in Victorian times in Nos 16-36 with this being followed by 'Rory - the Horse of Many Masters' and 'Boy in the Forest of Fear'. Really nice style mostly seen in the girl's titles over at AP/Fleetway though.

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

Kashgar! Great data that! Could you possible find out which artist drew the concluding "The Lonely Lad Of Blue Lagoon" strip circa April to July 27 1968 please?

I ask as I have never seen such beutiful underground drawn scenes as done in the late April to June part of the story. Alan.

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

Kashgar in my Sparky 1965-73 thread has informed me that Andy Tew drew "The Jungle Ark".

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

didn't ALBERT HOLROYD ['brassneck' in 'DANDY'] draw 'the Lonely lad of blue lagoon'?

Raven

Post by Raven »

Was 'Boy in the Forest of Fear' as good as its title?

(And who, indeed, would win in a scrap between this Forest of Fear in Sparky and The Haunted Wood in Knockout? I'm betting on the latter.)

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

here's 'Lonely Lad of the Blue Lagoon, Alan;

-----nice, evocative stuff.

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

The artist on the example shown is Bill Holroyd. BTW the whole of this strip was a reprint from the New Hotspur earlier in the decade.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

What a great drawing..it really feels like a gloomy strange cave..

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

I always have a problem identifying the christian names of the two HOLROYD artists!

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

Those final three months of the "Lonely Lad" story were superb! Of course I never knew it was a Hotspur reprint! I only read about two Hotspurs and didn't take to them!

Kremmen

Post by Kremmen »

I might be wrong, but didn't "Lonely Lad" appear twice in the Sparky? I remember that at first, he wasn't quite alone; there was an old man on the island with him and the toucan. Then, at the end of one episode, the boy came home from an adventure and found the old man seemingly asleep, but he was in fact dead. Oddly enough, that bit seems to have stuck in my mind. As I said, ISTR the strip running twice in the Sparky - I had no idea it was a reprint from the Hotspur - and in one of its incarnations the artwork used a lot of shading that made the pictures look almost like photographs; at least, that's how I remember it from over forty years ago.

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

Kremmen. The "Lonely Lad" strip ran continiously for just over a year! early June 67 to late July 68. You might be thinking of the adaption of "The Coral Island" which Sparky ran August to Dec 68. That had three persons stranded"

Ken (the Lonely lad) did have company at times! A round the world yachtsman (who promised to tell authorities where Ken was) some modern day Pirates, and then later , Kalka, a native outcast (because he murdered another tribesman) who `terrorised` Ken and later drowned in quicksands.