Starhawk

Formerly known as Classics from the Comics, this forum covers all of DCT's retired titles, like Beezer, Topper, Victor, Nutty and Sparky!

Moderator: AndyB

Captain Storm

Starhawk

Post by Captain Storm »

I actually have a batch of The Crunch,unfortunately none of the earlier issues,though I do have the last one :lol: I am currently busy preparing a tribute site to Starhawk,which was my favourite strip from that comic.I also have a batch of Hotspurs featuring Starhawk...Discuss?Sadly the years have not been kind to the paper,but can be enhanced with good 'ol Photoshop :twisted:

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Starhawk

Post by colcool007 »

Sol Rynn was one of the better SF characters to come out of the DCT stable. It was grittier than the usual fare and did pay more than a passing homage to Hans Solo. I remember that the dialogue between Sol and the robot was humourous and quite bitchy at times which helped to make it more up to date fare than some of the typical DCT reprints.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Captain Storm

Starhawk

Post by Captain Storm »

Thank you for the comments,Cool.The site should be ready fairly soon.Hope you like it.Also,I have another site feat. Captain Cosmic at http://cosmiccomic0.tripod.com/ This site pays tribute to the first issue of Cosmic comic.I'll wager you'll get a laugh from it :lol:

Captain Storm

Starhawk

Post by Captain Storm »

Okay folks,for those of you who remember Starhawk from The Crunch,I've put together a little tribute to him,the site is now live at http://starhawkcrunch.tripod.com/ I've uploaded most of the thumbnails,and linked to one complete story in full size images.The rest will follow periodically.Please send me scans of the ones missing in action.Also,did Starhawk appear in any Holiday Specials or Annuals,even the Hotspur Annuals?Any help or info,especially regarding the writers or various artists who worked on this strip would be great.

Captain Storm

Starhawk

Post by Captain Storm »

You can view the full size images now on the Cover page at :arrow: http://starhawkcrunch.tripod.com/ by clicking on the thumbnails.

rod2402

Starhawk

Post by rod2402 »

I like your website. It is good to see a site on a strip and some history of it.Starhawk also appeared in some issues of Spike. I?m not sure if they were reprint or new adventures.

Spike ran to 67 issues and then merged into Champ.

Issues 1 ? 15 Starhawk and the Power Beast
Issues 16 ? 29 Starhawk and the Time Warriors
Issues 63 ? 67 Just called ?Starhawk?

Issue 63 had Starhawk on the cover

[IMG:108:167]http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/4609/spike635fe.th.jpg[/img]

Captain Storm

Starhawk

Post by Captain Storm »

Thank you Rod,glad to hear you like the site.With your permission,I'll add this image to the Covers section in the near future.Do you have any issues of Spike feat. Starhawk in your possession?This is a part of Starhawk's future I was completely unaware of!As far as I know,the stories you mention appearing in Spike are new!

rod2402

Starhawk

Post by rod2402 »

Hi Captain, yes I have all those issues. Give me some time and I will scan the stories for you so you can add them to your site.

Also have a look at Vic Whittle's site in the Starblazer section. There appears to be at least three Starhawk issues
186: Starhawk
201: Return of Starhawk
222: Target? Starhawk

rod2402

Starhawk

Post by rod2402 »

Captain Storm

Starhawk

Post by Captain Storm »

Rod,I have sent you a PM.Thanks for the additional info!My images also are usually between 130k and 180k in size,otherwise the text becomes hard to read.

tonyodonnell

Starhawk

Post by tonyodonnell »

The Starhawk site looks very promising...and brought back a lot of memories. I really enjoyed drawing a Starhawk game, it must have been for a centre spread in SPIKE, I think I drew it around December 1982, then I started work on my first Starblazer...I was sent a Starhawk script for SPIKE which I storyboarded in my sketch book. I was very keen to do Starhawk but I was taking so long on the Starblazer that the job went to a better and more experienced artist. I ended up with the Footie series, Johnny Tough.

rod2402

Starhawk

Post by rod2402 »

Hi Captain,
I haven't got a private message but I have scanned the stories from Spike 63 to 67 at a larger size. Grab it from here:
http://s17.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3M1Y ... N8HICOAJP3

Hi Tony,
I'll have a look through the Spike issues I have for your game. Were you able to keep you art for any of your work back then?

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Starhawk

Post by colcool007 »

Nice bit of art from the ever talented Terry Patrick there. Enjoyed reading those stories. But was it me, or did the 'super-ugly' girl pay more than a passing resemblance to Megan from Captain Britain? 8)
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Captain Storm

Starhawk

Post by Captain Storm »

Rod- thanks,I got the zip file and uploaded Issue 63,looking forward to more!
p.s. pls don't think me ungrateful,but could you scan next batch at 200 or 300 dpi :oops: as lower than this causes the text to bleed in jpegs.

Tony-Hello,sent you a PM.

tonyodonnell

Starhawk

Post by tonyodonnell »

Hi Rod,
I hope you find the issue that features the Starhawk game. I had a copy for awhile but it was mounted on card..and given to my nephew?!
My shaky memory might mean I am wrong...it is remotely possible that it appeared in Buddy, perhaps to promote a Space Game?
The other job that month in November 1982 was for Buddy and was a remote -controlled Jeep toy advert, featuring General Jumbo. Both jobs were a nice 'welcome back' from BUDDY editor, Bill Graham as I had 'been away' so to speak pursuing other employment opportunities.
I do not have any ART from that period, it will be in the DCT vaults.
I have recently moved house so my records,photocopies , artwork etc are still in storage.