Sparky fun strips

Formerly known as Classics from the Comics, this forum covers all of DCT's retired titles, like Beezer, Topper, Victor, Nutty and Sparky!

Moderator: AndyB

ISPYSHHHGUY

Re: Sparky fun strips

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

That strip [Four Legged Fred] was pretty bizarre, and it never ran very long [1970 I think]---I have never forgotten it, however.

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

Yes Rab! I think the idea for it came from a old `Dandy book` (!950's) fun strip called "Taffy's Centaurs" I'm probably stretching a connection- but I guess that's the inspiration for "Fred"

I wonder if we could do a Sparky `Writers` thread? Ray might know a couple and you - Rab- provided me with George Unwin Glencaire (Have I got his name correct?) As writer of latter (1974-76) I. Spy stories! I'll chance it and open a thread on this and see if anyone can come up with any!
A Face unclouded by thought.

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

To add a bit of data to Ray's fine work on artists for Sparky fun strips; I have discovered the true artists for the three 1968 Euro strips the comic ran - to Sept 69. As Ray disclosed "Big Billy Bigg" aka `Jerom` `was` drawn by Eduard De Rop. However, `The Snooks` aka `Familie De Snoek` was drawn by Willy Vandersteen. Finally `Clever Claire` aka `Kari Lente` was drawn by Robert Mau. Hope this helps.
A Face unclouded by thought.