THE `SPARKY` QUIZ!

Formerly known as Classics from the Comics, this forum covers all of DCT's retired titles, like Beezer, Topper, Victor, Nutty and Sparky!

Moderator: AndyB

alanultron5

THE `SPARKY` QUIZ!

Post by alanultron5 »

THE `SPARKY `QUIZ`

As part of the comic’s `Silver` jubilee this year on this site- I am presenting this `Sparky` quiz! It consists of Twelve questions (I chose Twelve because it is the number of years the comic existed). They are in varying degrees of difficulty, but not in order of difficulty e.g hardest to easiest 1 – 12. No! They come as presented with 5, 10, 15 and 20 points indicated in brackets after each question. One question at least has a supplementary bonus of an extra 10 points though! The Twelve questions won’t represent each year of the comic’s life as that restricts my choice of question!

Here we go!

(1) In which strip was the famous Sparky word “Nirdle” first uttered? (15 points)

(2) Who was the only character from the first issue, to still be in the comic when it ended? (5 points)

(3) “I. Spy”; who were his two most formidable opponents? (5 points per `villain` named)

(4) How many issues of `Sparky` were there? (5 points)

(5) What was the comics longest running `adventure` strip- though it was `light` hearted in tone? (10 points)

(6) Which strip was unique in the comics life in that it began in the style of a one page `fun` strip; but the rest of its time in the comic (late 1970 to early 1971) was in the format of a two page `adventure` strip? (20 points)

(7) Peter and Penny - Who? The surname please of the brother and sister stranded on the moon along with the `Moonsers` (20 points).

(8) Name `All` the staff of the `Sparky People` strip. 5 points per character with 10 points for the one occasional character who later got their own strip! (total 50 points!)

(9) What was `Captain Cutler and his Butler` in search of? (10 points)

(10) Which larger than life character only uttered just the word “Geesachup” (20 points) and what did it mean? (10 points)
A Face unclouded by thought.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Re: THE `SPARKY` QUIZ!

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

1] Puss an Boots

2] Hungry Horace

3] Mr X/ Mr Mastermind

4] 625?

5] Klanky?

6] I am stumped with this one

7] Pleasant

8] Sir/ Throgmorton/ Joke Man / Printer/ Artist/ Julie/ Dick/ Puss Minnie the Tea Lady got her solo strip later

9] I think it was a lost tribe or a lost river

10] Thingummy blob?

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

Very good effort Rab! the number of issues `very` close-in fact you have the correct numbers-just rearrange them slightly. Not Klanky but a strip I am not exactly enamored of! The fun/adventure strip. We mentioned it on both Kashgars threads re Fun & Adventure strips! Captain Cutler- very close! Can you `name` it! Q 12 is a real toughie! Try the back page mid 1969!

I hope the "I.Spy" question wasn't too difficult for you! :)

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

Very good effort from Rab there who has got a good three quarters correct! I have given a couple of clues in my answer to him and hope someone else might have a try- full answers next Monday!

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

OOPS! I should have done 12 questions but got tired! Apologies! Q10 the tough one- the clue is a back page strip mid 1969.

blaing

Post by blaing »

No. 4, there were 652 issues

No. 5, My guess would be Invisible Dick.

No. 6 - Would that be Big Billy Bigg?

No. 7, Peter and Penny's surname was "Pleasant"

No. 8, the Sparky People were, Throgmorton, "Sir", Dick the office boy, Puss, Minnie the tea lady, Julie, and as far as the Joke Man, the Printer and the Artist is concerned, I don't remember them having names.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Ah---Bruce beat me to it---and his answers look good to me!

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

Bruce! All correct - or almost! Not Big Billy Bigg who said "Geesachup" but the Giant `Hugo` Any idea what it meant?

Quiz should have been 12 questions so here are Nos 11 & 12 for Bruce and Rab

Q11 "Barney Bulldog" wasn't titled `Barney` when he first appeared- what was his name (5points)

Q12 For 50 points not counting the first three weeks of free gifts at comics launch- how many times were sets of free gifts along with new `Fun Pals/adventure strips` presented?

Oh! the 1970-71 strip that started as one page `fun` then became two page `adventure` style-was "Four Legged Fred"

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

I think Barney Bulldog started off as John Bull Dogg on the back cover in late 1968----I will have a guess at the free gifts: 9 seperate spates?!

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

Spot on Rab!! You and bruce know your Sparky! John Bull Dog it was! When it changed to Barney, the Bulldog surfix was merged as I just typed here!

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

you're velcome, mein goot Herr Schmidt [sorry, just finished watching Escape from Sobibor on dvd]

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

My Mom likes that! I just watched "Living in Harmony" a `Prisoner` episode!