Production marks on Beezer covers 1982-1986

Formerly known as Classics from the Comics, this forum covers all of DCT's retired titles, like Beezer, Topper, Victor, Nutty and Sparky!

Moderator: AndyB

Kashgar
Guru

Production marks on Beezer covers 1982-1986

Post by Kashgar »

Hi everyone,
Phil Shrimpton has recently auctioned a batch of Beezer comics dated from 1982 to 1986 and all of the issues have a set of production marks, in the shape of crosses, spaced at intervals, on the spine edge of the front cover. Phil has asked me whether these production marks were present on all issues of Beezer published during that period or whether, in a particular week some would have the marks present and others not.
All the issues I have in my collection for this period do have these marks but it would be nice to hear from a few more collectors with issues of Beezer from this period just to check whether any were issued without them

ISPYSHHHGUY

Re: Production marks on Beezer covers 1982-1986

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Hiya kashgar:

even as a nipper in the 60s I noticed crosses and heavy lettering on pages of the Beezer and Topper especially: even then, I assume it had something to do with lining up the printing presses [or something] but I will have a look at my 60s comics to confirm...be back on this Sunday.

I know you are specifying 82-86 issues but for me this sort of thing always seemed to be there.

stevezodiac

Re: Production marks on Beezer covers 1982-1986

Post by stevezodiac »

That reminds me of those letters and numbers under the adverts above tube train windows, never understood what they are for.