Copper Bolt

Discuss or comment on anything relating to this long-running adult comic that started back in 1979.

Moderator: AndyB

Digifiend

Copper Bolt

Post by Digifiend »

A query about this new policeman character has been posted on the Digital Spy forum. Basically, it was asking who the artist is. I've referred them here, but if someone can answer the question, I'll go post the answer there myself.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/show ... ?t=1136688

Steve Henderson

Re: Copper Bolt

Post by Steve Henderson »

Paul Palmer, He does Sid the Sexist and a few other of Smon Donalds old character nowadays. He was also in the Toxic Crazy Comics a few months ago

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Thanks.

Steve Henderson

Anytime, I'm quite good with the Viz questions, If I could be bothered I would post a list of other Viz Parodys on here as I think people on here who have never picked up a copy of Viz would appriciate a good parody of a classic, and Viz certainly know how to do a parody!

patpending

Post by patpending »

Hello everybody. First post.

I was the original asker of that question and thanks to 1) digifiend and 2) Steve for 1) pointing me here and asking the question for me and 2) answering the question. :notworthy: :notworthy:

Looking at the strip again, I was saying to myself that it was as though "Stupid Street" had been defaced by Coprophiliac Club for a VIZ competition, :lol: and surely Tom Paterson could not have done that himself.

All credit to Paul Palmer for making his parody so close to original Baxendale/ Paterson Toddler. (though maybe the "policeman in the (chod)bin" is more Paterson).

VIZ parodies? Gives me a few ideas! If Steve would like the n00b to start, I will! ;)

I've never seen the "classic Fleetway Baxendale" (i.e. I don't mean Bash Street Kids) style so well parodied!

Thanks again guys.

This was my question:

The latest issue of "not as funny as it used to be " "rude comic for grown-ups who really should know better" VIZ (checks number ) - no.189 (October) features a variation on the "character who wants to go to the lavatory" (ho ho) gag - in this case a policeman (chortle) "Copper Bolt".

The style is very, very similar to Leo Baxendale's original Sweeny Toddler and not so much like that of the other artists who took on that strip, Martin Baxendale (or if he didn't do Henry Dog, then it's not completely like Dracula Dobbs) or Tom Paterson's later strips.

Comic legend Tom Paterson's "Stupid Street" (out of Whoopee?) is very similar and I'd say it must be him were it not for the fact that I don't see his trademark sock.

It's never the artist of "Supervillain Dad" doing a completely different style is it?*

Neither of the Baxendales nor Mr. Paterson is credited. Lew Stringer - Mr. Yampy - is, but I doubt it's him...

Any ideas?

* If I say it was the shoes that gave me a clue, I should compare them with Sid the Sexist's.

If I say it was the Bishop of Durham's shoes, you'll know this was VIZ and why I am not comparing on anything else.

Steve Henderson

Fire away Pat, and welcome to the forum. I'll start off another topic though and begin, putting them all on will prove quite a massive job! still gives me an excuse to go through my collection!

patpending

Post by patpending »

Steve Henderson wrote:Fire away Pat, and welcome to the forum. I'll start off another topic though and begin, putting them all on will prove quite a massive job! still gives me an excuse to go through my collection!
I'll see what you post and just add some more, which will be simplest.

It'll be hard to beat The Clockwork Mountie Grand Prix Boxing Jungle Boy of the Foreign Legion, though! ("Raised in the African jungle by a family of apes, flyweight boxing champ Jack Simmons was the lucky owner of a fantastic Formula One racing car which was carried everywhere by his incredible army of miniature robot Canadian Mounties")

...and not a "for he owned" in sight! :lol:

In der Zwischentime, ich habe ein threaden geposted vitch ist off ze Großdeutschlandinteresse to mich! ;)

Steve Henderson

That parodys a little too far out to pinpoint! which makes it even funnier if you ask me. Davey Jones is a legend with that sort of thing!