new member introduction and question re 'I-Spy' Annual.

Discuss anything not related to comics here and if you are new to these boards, introduce yourself here.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

paulS

new member introduction and question re 'I-Spy' Annual.

Post by paulS »

morning all - sincere thanks to the Mods. for accepting me as member. I'm a collector of annuals rather than comics, and my question is .................. scrolling through the alphabetical list of annuals I noticed an absence of the News Chronicle 'I-SPY' ANNUAL, and a little curious as to why. The two examples I have - one being the softback for 1954 (which may in fact be the first issue) and the other for 1955 which is a hardback - understand there is a third - for 1956. This doesn't appear to be a particular rare series of annuals, so reason may well be a lack of interest in the format - I-Spy was a big social interest for children in the 1950s with booklets, clubs etc., directed at involving children in taking an interest in the world around them, whereby they would need to look for and find certain specific things which then allowed the children to tick these 'finds' in their 'I-Spy' booklets - this required initiative, don't think this approach would appeal now. Probably seen as rather staid now, and doesn't exactly float my boat either, but that's to overlook the fact that nonetheless it's a very good representation of a mid C20 annual - pre-electronic age, when children's activities were still mostly 'harmless' and encouraged their involvement. Anyway, just curious - thoughts appreciated - and thanks for looking. Paul.

stevezodiac

Re: new member introduction and question re 'I-Spy' Annual.

Post by stevezodiac »

Would the I-Spy annuals have had any comic strip content? I have one I-Spy booklet (Astronomy) and don't think it has comic content. I'm aware some annuals are mostly text but they are usually TV series based and are fiction so qualify in the story paper category.

paulS

Post by paulS »

thanks - yes, I'm sure that is probably the answer - not being well up on the criteria for such matters I'd overlooked that aspect. The I'-Spy' format not too dissimilar to Blue Peter - maybe that too not shown in the Annuals list here. thanks for quick reply.

paulS

Post by paulS »

thanks again, and yes, BP also absent and no doubt for the same reason. Some older annuals which also lack a 'strip' do however sneak in - thinking in particular of The Girls Own Annual, which started life in the late 1870s and appears to have flourished until some time in the early 1940s - the reason for this anomaly is just possibly because later offerings do in fact carry a strip, but I'm really only guessing. I do have a question re the early issues for this particular annual, and since I don't want to hack everyone off, please put me right and tell me in which sub-section I should post, when talking about annuals. Many thanks. cheers Paul.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I'd think if Comics UK included the I-Spy series it would also have to include the Ladybird books. Neither meets the comics criteria but are juvenile interest but is cutting it fine.

paulS

Post by paulS »

thanks - I wasn't suggesting this forum should include I-Spy or similar, just that in my ignorance of the criteria necessary to be included here, I had overlooked the 'strip' requirement, but am now wiser. Have to say I do happen to be a fan of many of the Ladybird issues, and many are very collectible, but can't imagine they would warrant a place on this platform. Shall avoid mentioning I-Spy from now on:-) Sorry to be a pain, but back to my question from yesterday ........... for future questions about annuals (those that are listed here) do I continue with them on this section, or is there a more appropriate place. thanks.

paulS

Post by paulS »

regret I've missed completely the connection between I-Spy and Ladybird Books - One is an annual devoted to all the miscellaneous subjects that a children's annual might include, and presumably like most annuals it would have been issued at Christmas time - the other is a small sized booklet which like others in the series was devoted to a single subject - monarchs, birds, plants, trains etc. etc.
But Steve is correct of course, neither of these formats qualify to be included here. In the absence of replies, I'll continue to comment about 'annuals' in this section:-)

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

Gosh! I had never heard of that one- I only knew the one in `Sparky`. You certainly learn things here!
A Face unclouded by thought.