Retro TV

Discuss anything not related to comics here and if you are new to these boards, introduce yourself here.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

brisey

Retro TV

Post by brisey »

I do like an odd DVD.

And have been buying some older titles.

Some like "Out" with Tom Bell,stand the test of time.IMHO

Others "Rock Follies" are the product of their time.

Bought and recently enjoyed Perry Mason

Any other Hit or Miss Series out there

tony ingram

Re: Retro TV

Post by tony ingram »

I'm currently working my way through the surviving second serason episodes of Z Cars, courtesy of a friend who collects classic TV. I've already seen the remaining first season episodes. I must say, I far prefer the solid plotting of these early sixties shows to their modern day equivalent, the glorified soap that is The Bill. And Brian Blessed as Fancy Smith is never less than entertaining.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

I heard that the vast majority of 'Z CARS' was junked, Tony; we should be grateful that at least a few remnants remain......

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

A large chunk of series 1 still still exists, but 2-4 are almost all gone, only a handful of episodes left it seems. And from 1967-71 is very spars indeed; apparently, overall, only around half the episodes remain in existence. A great shame, as despite being produced on a very low budget, and shot live up until 1965, they really are very good drama.

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

'Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased)' is the best thing on itv4, it's the third time it's been repeated though along with 'The Saint', I enjoyed 'The Strange report' that they repeated a couple of years ago I didn't remember that first time round.

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

steelclaw wrote:'Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased)' is the best thing on itv4, it's the third time it's been repeated though along with 'The Saint', I enjoyed 'The Strange report' that they repeated a couple of years ago I didn't remember that first time round.
Actually, ITV4 is an oasis of great classic TV in amidst the dross. The Saint is a must-see for me, whenever it's on, despite having seen them all before. And they've got The Champions on at the moment, too..

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

Been going through a box of old videos recorded from the TV, and I've just watched a couple of episodes of A Perfect State, a 1997 sitcom starring Rudolph walker and Gwen Taylor about a coastal town which, due to a loophole in the law, declares independence from Britain. I'd forgotten all about this show-it had only seven episodes, it appears, and has never been repeated, which is rather a shame as it's a very funny show. Danny Webb is particularly good as unscrupulous estate agent Johnny, married to the insane, TV addicted Deirdre (Emma Amos), while Matthew Cottle (who played Martin Henson in 'Game On') is his usual entertaining self as wimpy Malcolm. Anyone else remember this?

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

I had a nice surprise yesterday flicking through the channels, on freeview FILM24 they were showing a episode of a colour 'Freewheelers'.
104 episodes were made of this teenage kids like programme of 30 minute duration Southern Television 1968 - 1973.
After that an episode of Dick Barton: Special Agent" from 1979 15 min (26 episodes) again made by Southern TV.

NP

Post by NP »

tony ingram wrote:ITV4 ... And they've got The Champions on at the moment, too..
Not so much 'at the moment' as 'always'.
The Champions, UFO, Randall and Hopkirk, On The Buses, Rising Damp (amongst others) are currently in their sixth run on itv4, almost consecutive too, sometimes they rest one for a month or two... which certainly means you're never more than 6 days away from any of them!
The Saint, being a longer series, is on it's third (they haven't shown any black and white ones yet) and Jason King has been on at least once. Department S I'm not sure about. Great channel for retro nerds though! :D

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Always loved the work of comic character actor Ken 'Horrible Ives' Jones. Particularly in 'The Squirrels' an office-bound sitcom written by the brilliant Eric Chapell and 'Last Of the Basketts' in which he and and his mother played by Pat Hayes become heir to a crumbling ancestral pile where they are 'served' by the less than servile butler played by Arthur Lowe. Sadly neither of these series seem to have made it onto any of the retro TV channels or onto DVD.

Raven

Post by Raven »

Kashgar wrote:Always loved the work of comic character actor Ken 'Horrible Ives' Jones. Particularly in 'The Squirrels' an office-bound sitcom written by the brilliant Eric Chapell ...

Ellis Jones was also a star of The Squirrels and I'm just watching him in Network's release of Pardon My Genie Series One, mostly by Rentaghost writer Bob Block, a 1972 ITV kids' sitcom which also has some adult appeal. The triumvirate of Ellis Jones, Hugh Paddick as the genie of the watering can, and Roy Barraclough on top form as Mr. Cobbledick is often very amusing.

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

NP wrote:
tony ingram wrote:ITV4 ... And they've got The Champions on at the moment, too..
Not so much 'at the moment' as 'always'.
The Champions, UFO, Randall and Hopkirk, On The Buses, Rising Damp (amongst others) are currently in their sixth run on itv4, almost consecutive too, sometimes they rest one for a month or two... which certainly means you're never more than 6 days away from any of them!
The Saint, being a longer series, is on it's third (they haven't shown any black and white ones yet) and Jason King has been on at least once. Department S I'm not sure about. Great channel for retro nerds though! :D
They've shown Department S at least once.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

great theme tune in 'DEPARTMENT S'!

DJDogfart

Post by DJDogfart »

Been revisiting Children of the Stones on DVD, too weird for words!
oh, and isn't that an older looking Doogie Howser M.D. on that sitcom with Willow out of Buffy on it? Mind, he doesn't look that much older considering the passage of time!!!
Scccrrruunnge

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

DJDogfart wrote:Been revisiting Children of the Stones on DVD, too weird for words!
oh, and isn't that an older looking Doogie Howser M.D. on that sitcom with Willow out of Buffy on it? Mind, he doesn't look that much older considering the passage of time!!!
Children of the Stones was amazing. Looking at that, and at stuff like Moondial, Sky and Timeslip, some of the kids dramas of the 70s were a damn sight better than a lot of supposedly adult drama today.