currently on at the 'pictures':

Discuss anything not related to comics here and if you are new to these boards, introduce yourself here.

Moderators: AndyB, colcool007

starscape

Re: currently on at the 'pictures':

Post by starscape »

I bloomin' thought that was bloomin' hilarious. It was bloomin' obviously not bloomin' real and very bloomin' comicky. Bloomin' wife didn't bloomin' like that bit but I thought it was bloomin' great.

Bloomin' bit I didn't bloomin' like was the bloomin' constant bloomin' swearing as even the most bloomin' inoffensive of bloomin' expletives tend to bloomin' lose their bloomin' impact after a bloomin' while.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

flippin' 'eck! The choice language is just flippin' flying around here, these days....

starscape

Post by starscape »

Ah, shut the fffffffffffront door!

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Bloomin' Nora!
:D :D :D :D :D

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

colcool007 wrote:
Lew Stringer wrote:
colcool007 wrote:I disagree. Even after a long time, I still remember people who acted in the same way that Brooke and her ilk did. And I know that while they have carried on with their lives, I would have been happy to see them receive such a salutary lesson.
I wasn't suggesting they didn't deserve that punishment, just that I didn't want to see it portrayed so graphically. Sound effects and a reaction to others watching it happen off screen would have sufficed. I didn't need to see a teenage girl throw up and soil herself. (Yes, I know it was only sfx, but it was very realistic.)
Ah OK, I missed your meaning on that one. But as we are all different, I am sure that we all take something different away from the movies that we watch. For example two people on here loved it, one lukewarm and one thinks that it is dire.

While I know that, statistically, this is a small group to draw conclusions from, it suffices to show that while we are all UK comic fans, we approach our fandom from all points of the compass.
Well, obviously. I was simply expressing my personal feelings about that scene. If others liked it that's up to them.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

PaulTwist

Post by PaulTwist »

Saw Kick Ass 2 at the weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it.

The excessive swears/gore/bodily emissions all worked for me in context, but maybe it's one for emetophobics to avoid...

What DID make me feel uneasy, however, was the Union J product placement. I understand the need for product placement but it really brought me out of the film, and while it worked in the context of the story, (a) it would've made more sense if it had been One Direction and (b) there was so much of the video shown, my main thought was "how much have they paid for this?"

starscape

Post by starscape »

From what I remember Union J was chosen as they were unknowns but became relatively famous after the film was made.

Saw Flesh...I mean Jurassic Park in 3D today. Was absoluteky terrific. Much better than I remember.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

I've just been to see 'About Time'. It's the usual sentimental feelgood fare from Richard Curtis - albeit with a (very) slight science fiction slant - but I kind of liked it anyway. Also there are some nice selections on the soundtrack, including a couple of my favourite Ben Folds and Ron Sexsmith songs - and Bill Nighy is, as ever, quite brilliant.

If you feel as though your own life has become dull and unrewarding you really could do worse than watch this film!

- Phil Rushton

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Yes I saw it as well, Phil: not bad at all, time-travel themes always manage to grab my interest---if only we could go back and relive crucial decisions and change them for the better, as is the premise of this film.

[3/5]

Looking forward to the 70s period piece about racing driver James Hunt , out tomorrow [Friday]

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

ISPYSHHHGUY wrote:Looking forward to the 70s period piece about racing driver James Hunt , out tomorrow [Friday]
The preview looks great. Funnily enough I only just watched the excellent Senna documentary on DVD.

- Phil R.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

yes I enjoyed Senna too, and I have absolutely no interest in motor-racing!

starscape

Post by starscape »

Saw Thor today. Thought it was terrific. Laugh out loud in some cases but so much more to it than simple superheroics. I don't know anything about Malekith the Accursed but it looked a lot like Mercurio the 4-D Man to me (yep, I know there's Wikipedia). Loki was, as ever, brilliantly deceitful. Brilliantly so.

...but can't we get Sif, not Jane Foster? Way more interesting.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

This THOR sequel is certainly more lavish than the modestly-mounted first outing, of which I can remember very little about---the lead actor sure looks the part, with onscreen mayhem, set design and comic-book-inspired imagery of a most satisfactory calibre.

[3/5]

Also well worth a look:

GRAVITY ****

George Clooneys' previous sci-fi outing SOLARIS was a pretty dire, pointless remake, so I held out little hope for this effort: I was pleasantly surprized........only two actors, Clooney and Sandra Bullock, feature throughout the proceedings, although we hear other disembodied voices from NASA over the radio.

Virtually the entire viewpoint is seen as if from someone filming out in space with a hi-def, hand-held camera, with breathtaking views of Planet Earth rolling around slowly in the background: tempered with scenes of pathos and destruction, so not at all boring, despite lengthy, gliding takes that soak in the outer-space atmosphere. The effects of weightlessness in space appear utterly convincing, in this highly-visual, soothing-to-the-senses excursion.

Quite unlike any other sci-fi effort to date. [4/5]

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I'm going to see gravity tomorrow - read rave reviews.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

A penny for 'em, Steve----your thoughts on this film.