currently on at the 'pictures':

Discuss anything not related to comics here and if you are new to these boards, introduce yourself here.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

ISPYSHHHGUY

Re: currently on at the 'pictures':

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

FANTASTIC 4 is really poorly attended...at least on the two times I saw it....I honestly thought it was OK.......a bit darker than the down to earth comics comedy dialogue......perhaps a bit too many ORIGINS reboots getting done in these films though.....

ANT MAN was OK for a watch once wonder.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

I can't really believe that this needs spoilers, but just in case...

Memo to all Dark Lords of the Sith: Next time you build a Death Star MAKE SURE YOU DON'T INCLUDE A GIANT CATFLAP IN THE DESIGN!!!! :roll:

...Other than that it's a pretty good film in my humble opinion! :)

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

yes Phil: I saw this yesterday on the first day of release and incredibly the cinema was pretty quiet.This is low-key and 'less flash' by Star Wars standards and in fact there isn't even a massive impressive 'whammy' scene opener: a first in all the films.

To be honest, this looked like like cut-price STAR WARS for much of the running time!

The film-makers are right though: the second block of three entries were far too overdone in the CGI stakes: this new streamlined approach is much more convincing.

The designs of all the hardware very much reflects the 1977 templates.

Not what I expected, but not bad at all.

There was a brilliant live band in the cinema foyer as I left, with a Vegas-era Elvis impersonator belting out Star Wars-altered Presley lyrics: I loved it!

FOUR OUT OF FIVE
Last edited by ISPYSHHHGUY on 19 Dec 2015, 11:33, edited 1 time in total.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

For me, it is 4.5/5. It's a true space opera romp with a few surprises along the way. Some of the plot devices were a little too obvious, but considering that I was expecting another pile of poo like the last 3 movies, it was much better than I expected to see.

Cinematography was amazing and the composition of the bridge scene was breath-taking. I will admit that I had a few squee moments as I was watching it. But both my daughter and I enjoyed it immensely.

I can't say anymore without throwing in spoilers. Was it worth seeing in the cinema? Oh definitely. Paying the extra for 3D? Well I did pay the premium and I still wasn't disappointed so I can live with that.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

On the bbc red button now (cahnnel 601 on freeview) there is Star Wars at the bbc. Just tuned in and have seen Mark Hamill on Blue Peter and Ask Aspel. I've no idea who the bloke presenting it is. Now Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher are on Blue Peter.

David Prowse had a gym in Bermondsey in the 80s and 90s my mate's mum was a cleaner there and when I worked on the post office counter in nearbt Borough High Street he used to come in and use our services. I served him a couple of times.

JT Mirana

Post by JT Mirana »

colcool007 wrote:For me, it is 4.5/5. It's a true space opera romp with a few surprises along the way. Some of the plot devices were a little too obvious, but considering that I was expecting another pile of poo like the last 3 movies, it was much better than I expected to see.

Cinematography was amazing and the composition of the bridge scene was breath-taking. I will admit that I had a few squee moments as I was watching it. But both my daughter and I enjoyed it immensely.

I can't say anymore without throwing in spoilers. Was it worth seeing in the cinema? Oh definitely. Paying the extra for 3D? Well I did pay the premium and I still wasn't disappointed so I can live with that.
Yep, 4.5/5 from me too.

One shot alone stopped it being a 5: the shot - NO SPOILERS - where people on one planet look up and see other planets being destroyed by a blast from yet another planet. Which is impossible because all these locations are in different solar systems light-years and hyperspace jumps apart. It bugged me all the more because Abrams made exactly the same mistake in Star Trek, when Spock - stranded on one planet - was somehow able to see Vulcan, as big as the moon, imploding even though it was in a completely different system.

Someone should remind JJ Abrams that 'Space is big.'

Apart from that, great stuff. That opening shot after the intro was powerful stuff and put me right back in the world of 'real' Star Wars, instead of the CGI splurge-fest of the prequels. Daisy Ridley and John Boyega were great, had real charisma. I look forward to seeing more of them. And I'll say no more for fear of spoilers.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

JT Mirana wrote:One shot alone stopped it being a 5: the shot - NO SPOILERS - where people on one planet look up and see other planets being destroyed by a blast from yet another planet. Which is impossible because all these locations are in different solar systems light-years and hyperspace jumps apart. It bugged me all the more because Abrams made exactly the same mistake in Star Trek, when Spock - stranded on one planet - was somehow able to see Vulcan, as big as the moon, imploding even though it was in a completely different system.
When we go to the theatre to watch a play, for obvious reasons we suspend our disbelief. We would not fully enjoy the performance otherwise. This process is repeated, although not quite so obviously, when we go to a cinema to watch a film because while we may at times be aware of the fourth wall we do not really notice the other three. Where a sci-fi film is concerned we have already suspended our disbelief before we go into the cinema because we know in advance that what we will witness will have only a tenuous link to life as we know it. I don't have a light sabre behind my settee to use on any burglar that might be unfortunate enough to choose my house to break into, although I would feel that bit safer if I had one. I would have to make do with more terrestrial items. Why therefore is JT so troubled by some apparent anomalies. I think I've seen every episode of the various Star Trek series made for TV, and all the films except this latest one. I've seen anomalies all over the place, and I can't think of a single one that didn't have some sort of explanation given for it. Why should this film be any different? Perhaps we are meant to assume that some entity with amazing power, like Q for example, had chosen to move planets hither and thither.

JT Mirana

Post by JT Mirana »

Phoenix wrote:
JT Mirana wrote:One shot alone stopped it being a 5: the shot - NO SPOILERS - where people on one planet look up and see other planets being destroyed by a blast from yet another planet. Which is impossible because all these locations are in different solar systems light-years and hyperspace jumps apart. It bugged me all the more because Abrams made exactly the same mistake in Star Trek, when Spock - stranded on one planet - was somehow able to see Vulcan, as big as the moon, imploding even though it was in a completely different system.
When we go to the theatre to watch a play, for obvious reasons we suspend our disbelief. We would not fully enjoy the performance otherwise. This process is repeated, although not quite so obviously, when we go to a cinema to watch a film because while we may at times be aware of the fourth wall we do not really notice the other three. Where a sci-fi film is concerned we have already suspended our disbelief before we go into the cinema because we know in advance that what we will witness will have only a tenuous link to life as we know it. I don't have a light sabre behind my settee to use on any burglar that might be unfortunate enough to choose my house to break into, although I would feel that bit safer if I had one. I would have to make do with more terrestrial items. Why therefore is JT so troubled by some apparent anomalies. I think I've seen every episode of the various Star Trek series made for TV, and all the films except this latest one. I've seen anomalies all over the place, and I can't think of a single one that didn't have some sort of explanation given for it. Why should this film be any different? Perhaps we are meant to assume that some entity with amazing power, like Q for example, had chosen to move planets hither and thither.
You're entirely right, of course, and I agree wholeheartedly. It's just that the particular example I gave was so clunkily out-of-step with the rest of what we'd seen in the film that it was jarring. Some aspects of the plot revolve around Goodies and Baddies being unable to locate each others' planets. This is undermined when midway through the film it appears they can simply look up into the sky and see each other!

At least two people in the cinema audibly said, 'What?!'

However, on a scale of 1 to Jar-Jar, this is definitely at the forgivable end of the spectrum! :)

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

I have to admit that I have never been able to follow the plots in any of the Star Wars films: I just know that it is some sort of Galactic Power Struggle: but what on Earth is happening at any given time, or why, I do not have a clue; the dialogue is often stilted and off-puttingly pompous in these films---the dialogue in this new one was a bit more down to 'Earth', happily,,,,,, I do enjoy these films , though: the visuals and stirring music is enough for me.

I have no real desire to follow the plots in any of the seven films, but they are still very entertaining.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

ISPYSHHHGUY wrote:...I just know that it is some sort of Galactic Power Struggle: but what on Earth is happening at any given time, or why, I do not have a clue
I tend to feel the same way about the real world...! :roll:

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

:D :D :D :D :D

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Am I the only member who has never seen a Star Wars film? No appeal to me at all - looks like they are aimed at toddlers.

JT Mirana

Post by JT Mirana »

philcom55 wrote:
ISPYSHHHGUY wrote:...I just know that it is some sort of Galactic Power Struggle: but what on Earth is happening at any given time, or why, I do not have a clue
I tend to feel the same way about the real world...! :roll:
I hear you.

comixminx

Post by comixminx »

stevezodiac wrote:Am I the only member who has never seen a Star Wars film? No appeal to me at all - looks like they are aimed at toddlers.
I think my toddlers would be alternately bemused and scared at various bits though they might enjoy a fair amount :)

Fair do's if you don't fancy them. The original three films were good old space opera with plenty of zing IMHO. I haven't been bothered to watch the newer ones though.
jintycomic.wordpress.com/ Excellent and weird stories from the past - with amazing art to boot.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

It's definitely a case of each to their own. My wife is not a big fan and she fell asleep during the Phantom Menace. I wish that I had followed her lead!

For some people, Star Wars is the be all and end all for SF movies. For me, they are another collection of SF that I like. I am not a fan of all space opera, but I enjoy this take on it. I enjoyed the first trilogy, was disgusted with the second trilogy and was thrilled by the beginning of this trilogy.

I know much has been made of the influences on Star Wars VII, but I am going to start another thread that will contain spoilers so if you are going to see the movie, do yourself a favour and not read that thread until you have been to see it.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!