currently on at the 'pictures':

Discuss anything not related to comics here and if you are new to these boards, introduce yourself here.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Steve Henderson

Re: currently on at the 'pictures':

Post by Steve Henderson »

When I said like Bolt I was on about the 3D aspect. Tangled is going to be based on rennaisance paintings wereas Bolt was made with Edward Hoppers paintings in mind.

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

Steve Henderson wrote:I would have given The Princess and the Frog 6/5 They decided not to call it 'The Frog Princess' as it may have seemed demeaning to african americans.
Surely it would be the French who might think it denigrating?

Brendan McGuire

Post by Brendan McGuire »

Wasn't there a recent film called the Frog Princess scripted by Posy Simmons?

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

could well have been, Brendan...

There is a slew of romantic films out in time for Valentine's Day; the only one I saw this time was the 20th anniversary of

PRETTY WOMAN; the subject matter [a hooker who cleans up financially in cut-throat Beverley Hills] is restrained by today's cinematic standards, but this is still fairly watchable today, even if my mind began to wander in the closing reels.

Nice scratch-free print, for conniseurs of such trivia.....[2/5, more because it's not really my scene, man....]

PONYO; this very Japanese cel animated feature seems to be put out by the studio who done 'HOWL'S CASTLE' [unforgettable to those who witnessed it] but this effort is not so alienating to our Western eyes in comparison to so many Eastern animations.....it's even set on a recognizable Earth, with Ponyo being a bizarre, small fish-creature with the ability to take on human-like characteristics.

The sheer hand-drawn aspects of this production won me over the industrialized CGI jobs that pollute our screens today, and though there are computerized embellishments on view, these complement, rather than swamp this release......worth seeing if you dig this sort of scene, he said, showing his age.............[4/5].

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

ISPYSHHHGUY wrote:PRETTY WOMAN is still fairly watchable today, even if my mind began to wander in the closing reels.
I'm sure the cause was that tight miniskirt, ISPY. :D

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Julie Roberts hasn't got a lot of meat on her in this film, Phoenix, but she is a 'bonny lass' in her own right, and there is nothing wrong with her, [he said diplomatically -without-sounding-sexist].

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Digifiend wrote:It's apparently designed to look like a painting.
Are we to assume that this Disney film is putting tolworthy's ideas into practice?

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

ISPYSHHHGUY wrote:Julia Roberts hasn't got a lot of meat on her in this film, Phoenix, but she is a 'bonny lass' in her own right
Since she sets out to be easy on the eye in Pretty Woman, Rab, I don't see why we should apologise for responding to such a presentation. However, if I wanted to watch her and focus mainly on her performance as an actress, I would choose Erin Brockovich, in which she is frankly magnificent.

Raven

Post by Raven »

ISPYSHHHGUY wrote:

THE WOLFMAN: If you have a taste for vintage Universal Horror of the 30s/40s, you will love this update [also put out by Universal, who wisely held onto the copyright]. If you were put off by the visual excess of VAN HELSING, then this more back-to-basics offering may be more up your street. Despite an off-putting leading man, once this kicks in, there are great variations on the old transformation scenes, and a fine sense of gritty ambience in the hyper-real Victorian setting, which is very skilfully handled. The time is right to remake this, and if it is a bit gory and bloody at times, it's not disgusting.
Fantastic scene as the wolfman breaks free in front of a gathering of cynical scientists.

I wasn't quite as enthusiastic about this, and didn't think it was one of cinema's standout werewolf films. A dull start - I nearly dropped off a couple of times - and quite a confused plot, but some of the scenery and stylish visuals were nice and, though uneven, it did get a bit better as it went on, with an effective hallucinatory nightmarish dream sequence and a few fun werewolf transformation and attack moments. I hope it does quite well as I'd like there to be more traditional style horror films.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Good RICK BAKER effects I thought, Raven: I even went back for a second viewing..........I preferred this to the likes of modern horror like 'SAW', which is just plain nasty.......most people in the cinema I was at seemed fixed to the screen, but I agree the start was less than Earth-shattering.

This is the version I've enjoyed most since AMERICAN WEREWOLF/HOWLING, both a shocking 30 years old now, or thereabouts..........

Raven

Post by Raven »

ISPYSHHHGUY wrote: This is the version I've enjoyed most since AMERICAN WEREWOLF/HOWLING, both a shocking 30 years old now, or thereabouts..........

I thought American Werewolf and, especially, The Howling were much more imaginative, inspired and original. I thought The Wolfman favoured spectacle over a decent script like many modern films - Percy Jackson is another particularly good example of this - but it had its fun moments. Do you like Hammer's Curse of the Werewolf, if you've seen it?

I agree about the wave of torture films which I find reactionary. I think they diminish the genre.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Yes, I did see the 1960 OLIVER REED Werewolf film some time ago, Raven, and also as you have mentioned:

PERCY JACKSON and the LIGHTNING THIEF;

This looks something between HARRY POTTER and CHRONICLES of NARNIA, which wouldn't have been too bad a model, had it not been for the jarring back to modern times [with it's computers and cellphones] that sat uneasily with all the Greek Gods and Mthology that take up much of the running-time.......the animated monsters of Ray Harryhausen appears to have been an influence also, what with a CGI-updated HYDRA scene, as well as an icily-cool performance by Una Thurman as the snake-headed MEDUSA, who cuts an absurdly sinister dash....also notable for a cameo by Pierce Bronsan as a centaur [!]

This film has clearly cost a lot of money, and has a lot packed into it, but whether it has the 'staying power' so beloved of Hollywood remains to be seen.....the packed cinema I saw this with seemed to like it though......[3/5].

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Carol and I want to see a new film.....is Funny Bones worth seeing or Sherlock Holmes..thanks for any advice..or preference..

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Peter Gray wrote:Carol and I want to see a new film.....is Funny Bones worth seeing or Sherlock Holmes..thanks for any advice..or preference..
I really enjoyed Sherlock Holmes. It flies against expectations of the character and Downey is brilliant. If you can accept Dr.Watson being played as a kick-ass hardnut you should like it.

Lew
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Raven

Post by Raven »

Do you mean the 1995 film Funny Bones* starring Jerry Lewis, Lee Evans and Buster star Freddie 'Parrot Face' Davies, Peter? This is a good, distinctive film; a dark comedy/drama about the links between comedy and tragedy, and about the world of variety entertainment. It's very interesting and unusual.

If you fancy a trip to the cinema, Up in the Air is a high quality comedy drama and worth seeing.

* as opposed to The Lovely Bones which opens on Friday!