currently on at the 'pictures':

Discuss anything not related to comics here and if you are new to these boards, introduce yourself here.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Re: currently on at the 'pictures':

Post by colcool007 »

philcom55 wrote:I agree that the plot is a bit too mixed up for its own good but I think I'd give the new Avengers movie more than 3 out of 5. Oddly enough - in spite of all the expensive sfx - my favourite part was the dialogue, which seemed surprisingly well written at times. And I loved the characterisation of Ultron himself.

The ending does make me wonder if this is the last time we'll see Thor, Iron Man, Hulk and Captain America together in the same film however.
Phil, you are right with the scripting. The Star Wars movies that came out as the origin of Darth Vader really made me wince with the B-movie dialogue.

The last few Marvel outings has impressed me as they have managed to create some epic fanboy moments but with a fresh and engaging script rather than the tired out tropes that seem to have haunted many of the 80's and 90's superhero movies.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

philcom55 wrote:I agree that the plot is a bit too mixed up for its own good but I think I'd give the new Avengers movie more than 3 out of 5. Oddly enough - in spite of all the expensive sfx - my favourite part was the dialogue, which seemed surprisingly well written at times. And I loved the characterisation of Ultron himself.

The ending does make me wonder if this is the last time we'll see Thor, Iron Man, Hulk and Captain America together in the same film however.
I'm guessing that Captain America: Civil War will answer that one, because Iron Man is in it.

JT Mirana

Post by JT Mirana »

I'm pretty sure that all the big players - Thor, Iron Man etc - will be around for the INFINITY WARS too.

starscape

Post by starscape »

SPOILERS (obviously)

Just back from seeing this and thought it was a rollicking good ride. The beginning was terrific. Don't often see an opening that souped-up. I didn't find it boring, over-convoluted or difficult to follow.

Fanboy moments? I was actually a little disappointed that I will miss out on some. Having Hank Pym and the Wasp forgotten about in the origin of the Avengers was sad but completely dismissing him from Ultron was unforgiveable. Not looking forward to what seems to be the villainous Yellowjacket in Ant-Man either. He doesn't deserved such airbrushing.

Disappointed at Quicksilver dying. Especially, since I wanted to see him disapprove of Wanda and the Vision. Also, disappointed at no Simon Williams brain patterns. Absolutely loved in the comics the Vision's crisis of conscience when Wonder Man came back from the dead, just as the Vision was believing himself to be human. I missed Hawkeye being a wise-cracking ego-maniac, constantly trying it on with Wanda and Natasha, whilst riling Pietro and Cap.

But very enjoyable indeed. Lots happening and well worth another watch.
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

Jo told me last night about a film coming out called Inside Out, which bears a certain resemblance to the Numskulls - but instead of having Brainy, Blinky, Cruncher and so on, the girl has one for each of five core emotions - Joy, Sadness, Fear, Disgust, and Anger.

suebutcher

Post by suebutcher »

That sounds like a rehash of "Herman's Head". A bunch of ordinary emotional homuculi doesn't seen as interesting as the bizarre mechanically-determined internals of "The Numbskulls".

I'm going to see the Brian Wilson biopic, despite the risk of depression.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Surely they will play up the Charles Manson angle, Sue?

dishes

Post by dishes »

ISPYSHHHGUY wrote:Surely they will play up the Charles Manson angle, Sue?
No, it doesn't cover that period, and it was Dennis Wilson that was involved with Manson.
Is it weird to have no interest in keeping or collecting free gifts?

My artwork: http://www.iancockburn.co.uk

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

AndyB wrote:Jo told me last night about a film coming out called Inside Out, which bears a certain resemblance to the Numskulls - but instead of having Brainy, Blinky, Cruncher and so on, the girl has one for each of five core emotions - Joy, Sadness, Fear, Disgust, and Anger.
Nigel Auchterlounie capitalised on it in this week's Beano story, which sees Edd watching Inside Out at the pictures and states Est. 1962. Nicely done.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

In some ways I can't help thinking the Numskulls are a modern version of the swarm of devils that supposedly possessed the man from Gadara called Legion in the Bible.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

(Sorry, I put this post in the wrong thread.)

suebutcher

Post by suebutcher »

I've seen "Love And Mercy". It was kind of spooky rather than sad, and I really enjoyed it. The soundtrack is wonderfully hair-raising! There is a character in it who vaguely resembles Manson, but I don't know if it's meant to be him.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

I saw this film as well, Sue, the Beach Boys were really creative at their peak--good stuff.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

AndyB wrote:Jo told me last night about a film coming out called Inside Out, which bears a certain resemblance to the Numskulls - but instead of having Brainy, Blinky, Cruncher and so on, the girl has one for each of five core emotions - Joy, Sadness, Fear, Disgust, and Anger.
My daughter and I have just been to see Inside Out and it is head and shoulders above the standard Disney fare. There isn't a duff scene in the movie and it prompted a rather more mature conversation between my daughter and my self than we would ever have expected.

We were expecting a hour or so of silliness with a mawkish happy ending. Instead we saw an updated version of the Emotion and Reason cartoon that Peter featured on here last week. Although it is a movie that does not need to be seen in the cinema to fully appreciate it, I would happily go back tomorrow to watch it again. 5/5 from this correspondent.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

starscape

Post by starscape »

Saw Ant-Man the other day. I had some trepidation as I like my heroes to be played seriously, rather than a pastiche. Fortunately, Marvel got the balance just right. There's p!enty of humour and ridiculousness in it but only insofar as there is in Ben Grimm or the Yancy Street Gang. It's not a comedy by any means but it simply has comedic moments.

After suffering through Freeview for a few months (just too many reality programmes about cooking, benefit scroungers and terrorism on when I'm trying to relax after work), I've gone back to Sky. The Flash really is something else. Can't think of a better superpower programme. Not live action anyway.
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies