currently on at the 'pictures':

Discuss anything not related to comics here and if you are new to these boards, introduce yourself here.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

standby4action

Re: currently on at the 'pictures':

Post by standby4action »

I agree completely with what our friend colcool7 has said in a separate thread. I have had a smile on my face since seeing the latest Star Wars at 9am Sunday morning!

We came away thinking it is a very clever re-boot of sorts as it follows that other film where a map is hidden in a droid; someone has turned to the dark side who is related to someone else; a giant weapon destroys planets; and a newbie to the force is off to learn from a Jedi master....sound familiar? BUT it really is a visual treat with an affectionate nod or two to the originals (obviously as it's a sequel).

But the story was relatively easy to follow (certainly a lot better than Abrams' first Star Trek film IMHO). And I can now purge those other three episodes of Star Wars from my memory - where I fell asleep through the second film - can't even remember its name!)

Norman

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

I binge watched all 6 star wars films before seeing ep 7 and i think the 3 prequels are sort of watchable but need to be watched in 1 sitting as they did slowly improve by ep 3,
and jar jar is more annoying than ever.but they did rely way too much on fake looking cgi and TFA seems to have gone back to basics and is IMO the 3rd best one.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

big bad bri wrote:I binge watched all 6 star wars films before seeing ep 7 and i think the 3 prequels are sort of watchable but need to be watched in 1 sitting as they did slowly improve by ep 3,
and jar jar is more annoying than ever.but they did rely way too much on fake looking cgi and TFA seems to have gone back to basics and is IMO the 3rd best one.
I sat through them at the cinema and all I took from the three of them was the last 30 minutes of the third one. Otherwise, they were pretty ropy. Bad 1950s SF dialogue. Effects that were pretty, but as realistic as a My Little Pony episode. And fight scenes that owed more to Ray Harryhausen than SFX. And I have still never watched them again as I fear that they are worse than I recall them being!
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I should add that I am a big fan of Star Trek, Voyager being my favourite of the franchise - it has the best characters. Like most people I just couldn't get on wth Deep Space 9.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

stevezodiac wrote:I should add that I am a big fan of Star Trek, Voyager being my favourite of the franchise - it has the best characters. Like most people I just couldn't get on wth Deep Space 9.
I thought ds9 was the best followed by TNG,voyager,TOS and then enterprise :D

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

colcool007 wrote:as realistic as a My Little Pony episode
Not real? Well my four-year-old granddaughter Aurora assures me that Twilight Sparkle, Rainbow Dash, Princess Celestia, and many others are friends of hers, and as she plays with them every day she should know, so she would certainly want me to tell colcool007 that he is talking through his hat.

Adam Eterno

Post by Adam Eterno »

big bad bri wrote:
stevezodiac wrote:I should add that I am a big fan of Star Trek, Voyager being my favourite of the franchise - it has the best characters. Like most people I just couldn't get on wth Deep Space 9.
I thought ds9 was the best followed by TNG,voyager,TOS and then enterprise :D

I'd go TNG, Voyager, DS9, TOS and then Enterprise personally. It's been 8 years since I watched DS9 so almost ready to go through it again!

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Just picked up a complete run of DS9 for just £20. From what I remember it got better as it went on. The thing that disappointed me about the new Star Trek films was the way in which they casually wiped the elaborate 'future history' established in all those TV series out of existence - something that J.J. Abrams would never have dreamed of doing with his beloved Star Wars (but of course he's gone on record to say that he never much cared for Star Trek anyway!).

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I loved that last season Voyager episode where Janeway meets her older self and they argue with each other over who is in charge.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

anyone seen this yet
The Revenant
would be nice for your review..

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

philcom55 wrote:Just picked up a complete run of DS9 for just £20. From what I remember it got better as it went on. The thing that disappointed me about the new Star Trek films was the way in which they casually wiped the elaborate 'future history' established in all those TV series out of existence - something that J.J. Abrams would never have dreamed of doing with his beloved Star Wars (but of course he's gone on record to say that he never much cared for Star Trek anyway!).
I thought the new films were simply set in an alternative timeline? I've only watched them once so I may be mistaken.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

To some extent that's true Lew, with the older Spock character acting as a link between the two timelines. On the other hand there's no suggestion that the two histories continue to coexist in some kind of 'multiverse' of parallel worlds. Rather, the embittered Romulan Nero went back in time and irrevocably changed events so that the universe in which the original Trek and its offshoots took place never existed. Having said that, I will be interested to see what direction self-proclaimed Star Trek fan Simon Pegg takes in his screenplay for Star Trek Beyond (and goodness knows how the new TV series will fit into all this!).

JT Mirana

Post by JT Mirana »

Peter Gray wrote:anyone seen this yet
The Revenant
would be nice for your review..
My Facebook post on the film:

"Well, that was a bog standard survival/revenge narrative distinguished by visually and evocatively powerful use of MASSIVE wilderness landscapes. I liked it."

To which I'd add, it's really only the direction and scenery that mark it out, imo. Performances are good but nothing dazzling and the story is your basic 'Greedy bad guy kills noble good guy for money. Noble good guy isn't dead and returns by difficult route to confront greedy bad guy. They fight. One wins. The End.'

And The End is straight out of Batman Begins.

starscape

Post by starscape »

:o You're not supposed to give away the ending without a SPOILER ALERT

Bit pointless seeing it now.
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

JT Mirana

Post by JT Mirana »

starscape wrote::o You're not supposed to give away the ending without a SPOILER ALERT

Bit pointless seeing it now.
Yeek! Sorry. Thought it was vague enough. But yes, Leo does fight crime in Gotham.