Life on Mars....Ashes to ashes

Discuss anything not related to comics here and if you are new to these boards, introduce yourself here.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Peter Gray

Life on Mars....Ashes to ashes

Post by Peter Gray »

Life on Mars.Ashes to ashes anyone else looking forward to tomorrow..

how will it end?
personally I'm very excited.. :D

I wonder if Sam Tyler will be back? or has he been turned into that other man..?

Digifiend

Re: Life on Mars....Ashes to ashes

Post by Digifiend »

Oh yes, all good things come to an end. Took them long enough to mention Annie in Ashes, I think last week was the first time they mentioned her since the final episode of Life on Mars.

Here's one thing about tomorow's episode: SPOILER> the Quattro's gonna crash (picture in today's Sun)!

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

If you believe the outro that they did last week, then we should get another appearance of Sam Tyler tomorrow night. I think that the final episode of Ashes To Ashes will take on the kudos normally accorded to a much longer high-brow series in years to come.

It has been one of a minority of programmes that has fought back against what is considered correct behaviour in these modern times. And as a result, it may gain kudos beyond the current perception of what is right and good in today's viewing.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Steve Henderson

Post by Steve Henderson »

WOW! What an ending! Its all just about sinking in, but wow wow wow!

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Steve Henderson wrote:WOW! What an ending! Its all just about sinking in, but wow wow wow!
i think that I can honestly echo that sentiment. And it did prove that all the clues were there for the viewer to figure it out as well. I knew Keats was an evil SOB!

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Funny the guy coming in waffling about I phone..so it continues..

So Sam didn't go back home that is why he jumped off the building to go back to Gene and then to 'heaven'..

Very clever..

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

Peter Gray wrote:Funny the guy coming in waffling about I phone..so it continues..

So Sam didn't go back home that is why he jumped off the building to go back to Gene and then to 'heaven'..

Very clever..
I think Sam did go home, but having gotten back to the 'real' world it was no longer enough for him as he knew there was something more. He committed suicide as a leap of faith and went back to the coppers purgatory Gene had created before moving on to Heaven. Alex, however, never fully recovered after all and died in her hospital bed at the beginning of the last series. That's why the visions and voices she'd heard and seen calling to her for the previous two years stopped in the third one.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/ ... al-episode

it certainly a series which gets people talking...which makes it great tv..

zexstream
Forum Member

digitial spy forum
Services: SKY HD
Originally Posted by dancebananas
Sorry will someone explain the significance of Dixon of Dock Green , that went over my head i'm afraid

The main character, Police Constable George Dixon, played by Jack Warner, was an old-style British "bobby" (policeman). The character first appeared in a 1950 British film by Ealing, The Blue Lamp, in which he was shot and killed by a criminal played by Dirk Bogarde. However, it was decided to bring him back to life for a television series, written by Ted Willis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dixon_of_Dock_Green

http://www.sfx.co.uk/2010/05/22/ashes-exclusive/

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

I must admit that using the clip from "Dixon Of Dock Green" was pure genius. However, I would not have been surprised if they had used a clip from "The Sweeney" either. But Dixon encompasses the whole era from when Gene was killed (the 50's) to the first appearance of Sam Tyler in 1973.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

You say Dixon died in his first episode then somehow was alive again when they made it a series. Sound familiar? Maybe Dixon of Dock Green was set in the same purgatory! It'd be one hell of a retcon, but so what?

I didn't see the everybody's dead ending coming. Nice one writers! And that "spoiler" I mentioned earlier, which was about the Quattro crashing? That was based on a still photo of the car with it's front bumper hanging off - only it turns out it wasn't caused by a crash, but by villains shooting the vehicle. I laughed when Gene yelled that they'd killed it, as though it was a living thing. Of course, the car was never real anyway... And it was clever having another modern day cop arrive at the end, pretty much reciting Sam's lines from the first episode of Life on Mars.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Somebody said that in the American version of the series it ended with the revelation that everyone was actually experiencing a virtual reality programme on board a space ship. Apparently they'd been sent on a mission to hunt for new genes that could save the human race or something ('gene hunt' ...get it? :roll: ).

...Personally I much preferred the British version!

- Phil Rushton

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Everyone hated that US ending, judging by what I've read on other forums. It was criticised across the board.