The Sarah Jane Adventures.

Discuss anything not related to comics here and if you are new to these boards, introduce yourself here.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

stevezodiac

The Sarah Jane Adventures.

Post by stevezodiac »

Jo Grant, played by Katie Manning, teams up with Sarah Jane Smith and the new Doctor next week on CBBC and BBC1. Here's a photo from the new Radio Times - they have hardly changed since the 70s.

Digifiend

Re: The Sarah Jane Adventures.

Post by Digifiend »

SJA's a great show. Last week's episodes, The Nightmare Man, would've given some kids the creeps for sure. The title character was played by Julian Bleach, who also played Davros in Doctor Who. Luke's worries shown in his nightmares would be easily relatable by the target audience. This week's episodes, The Vault of Secrets, feature the return of the Men in Black from the Dreamland cartoon episode of Doctor Who, and has more action.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Just watched Nightmare man..pretty dark stuff..
We watched a Carry on after to cheer ourselves up.Carry on Loving.. :D

Steve Henderson

Post by Steve Henderson »

Julian Bleach was in Torchwood also. He was in the episode were they all escaped from the old film. Go on Digifiend tell us all which one it was!!! I think he did a marvellous job as Davros, made those two episodes of series 4 the best episodes of new-who, yet to be topped in my opinion. The Stolen Earth being my personal fav.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/From_Out_of_the_Rain
Series 2 episode 10: From Out of the Rain, he played the Ghostmaker. I had to look that up, I'd forgotten that was him.

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

An excellent two parter this week (just watched part two on the CBBC channel). Seeing Matt Smith was nice enough, but Katy Manning stole the show, I felt-though the nauseating fake sentimentality on show in part two and the fact that Jo Grant has, like Sarah, apparently spent forty years pining for the Doctor mark it out as a classic Russell T Davies script...

Steve Henderson

Just watched it, it was pretty good. Nicely toned down for the kiddies. 'smells like roast chicken' nicely covering the bit at the end I was a little unsure about!! Katy Manning was great, and a different perhaps more solid performance from Matt Smith

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Clyde: How many times can you regenerate?
Doctor: Oh, 507 times!

That'll mean the BBC won't ever run out of regenerations now! :D

And there were a few "whatever happened to...?" moments at the end too, as Sarah Jane reeled off a list of companions and where they ended up. Notably, Ace's departures from both the books and the comics have been contradicted and thus officially marked as non-canon ("Dorothy" is Ace).

Steve Henderson

Not even the Telly series is Canon anymore its always contradicting itself! But Moffat has covered it up by saying 'wibbly wobbly timey wimey' I think that makes EVERYTHING canon now ha ha ha

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

I did try watching some of the Sarah Jane series, but I can't get in to it which is a pity and most likely my own fault. I did enjoy some Torchwood stuff. Of the Dr Who series itself the two-part "Impossible Planet" I really rated , plus "Midnight" which showed how vulnerable he became.

I am most likely the only person who found the "Family of Blood" two-parter just awful!! Down to me again!
A Face unclouded by thought.

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

Digifiend wrote:Clyde: How many times can you regenerate?
Doctor: Oh, 507 times!

That'll mean the BBC won't ever run out of regenerations now! :D

And there were a few "whatever happened to...?" moments at the end too, as Sarah Jane reeled off a list of companions and where they ended up. Notably, Ace's departures from both the books and the comics have been contradicted and thus officially marked as non-canon ("Dorothy" is Ace).
Not so! The rebooting of the universe at the end of the last series of Who basically means canon is no longer an issue as far as anything produced prior to 2010 is concerned; as Steven Moffat has said himself, if any past story is contradicted now, it isn't because it isn't canon or never happened, it's simply because it never happened in the new timeline created when the Doctor restarted the universe. In effect, he's made all those spinoff stories impossible to decanonise! :D (the last Star Trek movie did the same thing, making the old stories inviolate while giving writers a totally free hand in future)

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Just one flaw with that. Amy's memories revived the Doctor, but she has no knowledge of regeneration, or of most of the events prior to The Eleventh Hour. It creates as many continuity headaches as it solves. Anyway, the comics and books already contradicted each other regarding Ace's fate, so her fate was uncertain until now either way.

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

Digifiend wrote:Just one flaw with that. Amy's memories revived the Doctor, but she has no knowledge of regeneration, or of most of the events prior to The Eleventh Hour. It creates as many continuity headaches as it solves. Anyway, the comics and books already contradicted each other regarding Ace's fate, so her fate was uncertain until now either way.
Well, Amy recreated the Doctor, but surely it was the Doctor who restarted the universe, so her memories of it don't necessarily matter. And there's also the question of River Song...

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

This is `ALL` much too confusing for me!
A Face unclouded by thought.

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

alanultron5 wrote:This is `ALL` much too confusing for me!
I think you're probably in good company, there. :D