Monkees reform

Discuss anything not related to comics here and if you are new to these boards, introduce yourself here.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

stevezodiac

Monkees reform

Post by stevezodiac »

This was in tonight's London evening Standard and I have just heard on Radio Five Live that Davy Jones will be on Tony Livesey's show from 10.30 tonight.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Re: Monkees reform

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

what...no Mike Naismith?!

Mike's 'mom' made megabucks after inventing TIPPEX [the miracle liquid paper, fact-finders!]

NP

Post by NP »

ISPYSHHHGUY wrote:what...no Mike Naismith?!
Mike's 'mom' made megabucks after inventing TIPPEX [the miracle liquid paper, fact-finders!]
If you want 'facts' rather than "Internet Facts", you'll probably want to know that Mike NESMITH's mother invented 'Liquid Paper', not 'Tippex'. Anyone who has used both will know 'Liquid paper' is much the better product. And Mike has only joined the others for two very brief 'reunion' tours, which they do every few years, amidst the arguing and back-biting. Always liked 'Alternate Title' though.

Power fan

Post by Power fan »

NP wrote:
ISPYSHHHGUY wrote:what...no Mike Naismith?!
If you want 'facts' rather than "Internet Facts", you'll probably want to know that Mike NESMITH's mother invented 'Liquid Paper', not 'Tippex'. .
Ironic that that needed correcting!

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

NP: I try and avoid pointless, pedantic postings if I can help it, but I feel compelled to correct your terminology:

Mike N*smith's 'mom' never invented liquid-paper-thingummybob as you claim in error; she merely discovered it.

If you must insist on going to be needlessly nit-picky,----and let's face it, it's a pretty feeble human trait, that turns up on every sodding forum, from pros and Joe Bloggs alike----- please go over every single word before posting, to avoid yourself uneccessary embarrassment.......

------yes, I know I've used wrong spelling here, but I can't be bothered checking it. Life is too short, etc.......

NP

Post by NP »

I'd like to let you off the hook, "ISPYHHHGUY" but nobody 'discovered' 'Liquid Paper', it wasn't found growing on a bush or inside a rock or under the sea, it was invented, and by Mike Nesmith's mother (with a colleague). But don't be sad, you'll get something right someday. Maybe.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Nigel wasn't being pedantic Rab, just accurate.

Now, if he'd pointed out that your "Tippex" should be hyphenated (Tipp-Ex), that'd be pedantic. :wink:

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

Their fourth LP "Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn & Jones" in my view is a superb offering! It was the very first LP to feature the `Moog Synthesiser` on tracks "Daily Nightly" and "Star Collector"

"Alternative Title" actually topped the `Melody maker` chart for a week!
A Face unclouded by thought.

NP

Post by NP »

Nice try, you two.

Steve Henderson

Post by Steve Henderson »

Maybe she discovered that she had invented it? :lol:

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

"Daydream Believer" Made No 2 on both the `New Musical Express` and `Melody Maker` charts in late 1967. Incredibly, in the US in 1967 sales the groups second Lp "More of the Monkeees" actually sold more than "Sgt Pepper" in 1967 at over 4 million. Of course `Pepper` carried on selling through 1968, 69 so on and was by far the higher seller on todays figures - but! in 67 "More of " sold more (US market).

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I was thinking the other day - whereas so-called king of pop Michael Jackson brought out one album about every five years and spent the years in between releasing every track as a single, The Beatles actually released very few tracks from albums and, astonshingly, didn't release one track as a single from Sgt Pepper or the White album which was a double. Also none from Rubber Soul and only one each from Revolver and Abbey Road.

I just thought I'd say that.

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

stevezodiac wrote:I was thinking the other day - whereas so-called king of pop Michael Jackson brought out one album about every five years and spent the years in between releasing every track as a single, The Beatles actually released very few tracks from albums and, astonshingly, didn't release one track as a single from Sgt Pepper or the White album which was a double. Also none from Rubber Soul and only one each from Revolver and Abbey Road.

I just thought I'd say that.
Are you thinking of 'Thriller' relased in 1982 out of the 9 tracks 7 were released as a single that was 29 years ago. :o

Time flys

His last proper studio album before his death was released 10 years ago 'Invincible'

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

"Ob-Bli-Da" (Bugger! I've misspelt it!) Was released as a European only single!

"Come Together/Something" was the only time a single from an LP was released `after` the LP was already out. That was down to Alan Klein using US sales strategies then!

brisey

Post by brisey »

No Nesmith,means that you lose the country tinged stuff.

Shame that.