Monkees reform

Discuss anything not related to comics here and if you are new to these boards, introduce yourself here.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Power fan

Re: Monkees reform

Post by Power fan »

I'm unhappy with the spelling of Monkees and think they should re-visit it (not unprecedented, after all Smokey changed to Smokie after they'd had two big hits, and this could then distinguish between the original 4-piece and the current trio). It's just a mis-spelling, there's no clever pun as in "Beatles". I suggest adding a hyphen and capitalising the k ie "Mon-Keys" gives a suitable musical allusion. And while we are at it, should the Tremeloes reform, I think that a better mis-spelling of the musical term tremolo to imply they're not progressive would be "Tremellow". :)

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

I thought that the spelling of 'Monkees' worked well as regards the group's logo, Powerfan.

Dunno who designed it, but a great job, as good as the Captain Scarlet SPECTRUM logo from around the same period:

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

It was a 1960s `thing` misspelling! It won't happen Power fan.

The final two Monkees LPs` "Presents - Michael, Davey & Mickey" and "Changes" didn't originally get released in the UK after the sales debacle of "Head" In the 1980s `Rhino` records released copies. I have the groups final single "Oh, my, My" sung by Mickey. Its not bad at all!

Back to EP's/Singles. I have seen the `Mungo Jerry` single in my time. It is on the blue Pye label whereas the `Maxi` is on `Dawn`

The very first 33/3rd speed 7 inch was the Move's "Something Else" from June 1968. It had a laminated cardboard sleeve! Cover photo was pretty off-putting though! It was a `live` record lasting over 8 mins each side, but as it was 33.3rd fidelity was fine. The record was (on back cover) titled a `Mini LP!
A Face unclouded by thought.

Niblet

Post by Niblet »

Power fan wrote:I'm unhappy with the spelling of Monkees and think they should re-visit it (not unprecedented, after all Smokey changed to Smokie after they'd had two big hits, and this could then distinguish between the original 4-piece and the current trio). It's just a mis-spelling, there's no clever pun as in "Beatles". I suggest adding a hyphen and capitalising the k ie "Mon-Keys" gives a suitable musical allusion. And while we are at it, should the Tremeloes reform, I think that a better mis-spelling of the musical term tremolo to imply they're not progressive would be "Tremellow". :)
If Mick 'n Keef recorded an album inspired by Harry Potter, they could call themselves The Rowling Stones.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

I liked the 'Strolling Bones': a long since-used reference to their 'clapped out Rock Star' persona.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

There was a 60s band called The Anteeks. Could be Antiques or Antics. Psychedelic bands often used miss-spellings like Chrome Sircus. There was also a band called First Crow to the Moon, they were actually called First Crew to the Moon but their hand written name on the demo tape was misread by the record company and so their first disc was given the Crow name - the band changed their name accordingly.

NP

Post by NP »

alanultron5 wrote:The very first 33/3rd speed 7 inch was the Move's "Something Else" from June 1968.
33/3 RPM 7" records go back to the start of the vinyl era, 1947-8, and had all but fallen into the category of Novelty, Children's or Cheap Cash-in records by 1968. The Move's record was more likely one of the LAST examples before they were reintroduced in the vinyl-crazy late 1970s.

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

I should have put the first true `Pop/Rock` 33.3rd release! 33.3 Eps were the norm in the USA though EPs as such were a very small part of the US record industry! Amazingly! there were `cut-out` EP's you could get on backs of cereal packets in the US; the Monkees had a couple!

On names, I always liked the late 1970s NME referring to Cliff Richard as "Riff Pilchard"

NP

Post by NP »

Well that's more like it. 331/3 7 inchers were more likely 'Top Six' label cover versions of hits by the peak pop years of 1962-7. Cheap and uncool. The US fell out of love with the EP very early on. They even passed on The Beatles' Magical Mystery Tour, preferring to make it a full album. Mind you, that Bob Gibson cartoon booklet looked GREAT 12 by 12! My 1972-ish Apple label version of it was my pride and joy at school!

Names, I always liked 'Radio Active's versions: Jack Michaelson and Cliff Frigid come to mind.
As well as the Hee Bee Gee Bees of course!

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I've never forgotten seeing a concert poster (in the Bash Street Kids i think) for Dingledonk Pumpkin - Englebert Humperdinck - must have been early to mid 70s.

brisey

Post by brisey »

Don Kirshner creator of the Monkees passed away earlier this year.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

'Engelbert Dumpertruck' is the name that sticks in my mind, Steve!

Power fan

Post by Power fan »

The alternative name of a 70's group that my brother and I jointly came up with was Sobloodyshoddy :cheers:

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

I saw a band in the 1970's my second ever gig(the first being Slade.)
called 'Fruupp' my mates sister called them 'Throwup'

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

Any chance of lobbing up, as a photo Steel, either "Den of Iniquity" by `Bodast` or "Get A Whiff of This" By `Juicy Lucy` please!?