Osama bin Laden - dead

Discuss anything not related to comics here and if you are new to these boards, introduce yourself here.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Re: Osama bin Laden - dead

Post by steelclaw »

How convenient for Barack Obama the US presidential elections are coming up in November.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Looks like 'four more years' is in the bag for BO.

upate: Bin Laden's head has been removed for 'DNA examination. '

If this macabre, pseudo-scientific act was indeed necessary, [and I'm not convinced it was, not that the US care what I think] then they should have hushed it up and not flaunted it, as this decapitation will doubtless flame the fans of terrorist extremism.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

steelclaw wrote:How convenient for Barack Obama the US presidential elections are coming up in November.
Isn't that next year? George W Bush was president from 2001 to 2008. Obama took over in January 2009 (after an election in November 2008), and a US presidential term is four years. This is only Obama's third year in office.

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

They always have some sort of elections coming up.

PaulTwist

Post by PaulTwist »

I think Martin Luther King Jr said it best:

"I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy."

PaulTwist

Post by PaulTwist »

PaulTwist wrote:I think Martin Luther King Jr said it best:

"I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy."
(Obv not about Osama, but the point remains. Glad he was caught, but executing him? Really?)

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

ISPYSHHHGUY wrote:BL [as his chums called him] has supposedly been 'buried at sea'. Why so soon after his death?
It's Muslim tradition to have a funeral within 24 hours of the death.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Nice one, Lew!

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Curious how quickly events get sanitized and rewritten. It's now being widely reported that bin Laden was killed 'during a firefight' (and even that he was 'mirandized' before being shot), yet I heard President Obama's original announcement when he made it shortly after witnessing the operation in real time via a video link, and his precise words were "After a firefight, they killed Osama bin Laden and took custody of his body."

Unlike George W. Bush Obama tends not to take liberties with the English language. While I'm sure that 'shoot to kill' operations have been sanctioned by previous American Presidents it seems to me that this is the closest any of them have ever come to actually admitting it!

In the same way that 'only Nixon could go to China' maybe this is something that only Obama could have got away with. :roll:

- Phil Rushton

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

It's just a mad, mad, mad world Phil..if anyone wrote these events for submission as a dramatic script to a comics editor, they'd probably be laughed off as being too absurd!

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

ISPYSHHHGUY wrote:Nice one, Lew!
No, seriously, that is why they did it.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

STARBOY

Post by STARBOY »

Wow news is that the Osama assisination was in all probability a hoax, it seems there's no way they'd take out a Bin on a Bank Holodiay :coat:

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Wasn't a bank holiday in the US...

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Digifiend wrote:Wasn't a bank holiday in the US...

It was a joke Digi.

Actually binmen do work on Bank Holidays. My wheelie bin was emptied yesterday.

A quick cut n paste from something I've just received:

Scammers have already begun to take advantage of Osama bin Laden’s death, posting a link on Facebook that claims to contain leaked footage pertaining to his death.

There are multiple links, each of which contain sensational titles, such as: “Osama bin Laden Killed (leaked video)” and “BBC News – Osama Bin Laden Killed (LIVE VIDEO).”

The links also include gruesome photos of his face.

Clicking on the link will prompt you to enter a code or captcha, which will then post it on your Facebook wall, disseminating it to all of your friends in your newsfeed. In this way, the scam goes viral. Entering the captcha, however, will not reveal undisclosed video footage. Instead, you will be prompted to fill out a survey. The scammers earn a commission for each person that fills out the survey.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Lew Stringer wrote:Actually binmen do work on Bank Holidays. My wheelie bin was emptied yesterday.
:offtopic1: That must depend on your local council. Mine's getting emptied on Friday instead of Thursday this week (and last week), because the binmen were off work on Monday.