Just Books

Discuss anything not related to comics here and if you are new to these boards, introduce yourself here.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

STARBOY

Re: Just Books

Post by STARBOY »

Interesting question from Presterjohn, I think I'm probably in the minority of comic fans that are not that keen or interested in "character" based fiction (with a few notable exceptions, Conan ) like colcool007 they seem too similar (with the exceptions Col' notes and a few more) Although I enjoyed things like Biggles as a kid and later in my teens SF type character books like Perry Rhodan, the Moorcocks characters, the Carter series etc that also only lasted a few years before I got fed up with it - instead I generally read fiction like Bukowski , Hemingway , Steinbeck etc stories of everyday people that I find much easier to read than most SF books that can be quite complex and at times a mess/bland (although I do pop into SF etc now and then when its a good read and love it) but for my fantasy fix its pretty much comics almost all the time now.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Now moved onto having a bit of a Tom Holt fest. Tom Holt takes high-brow myths/concepts such as Beowulf, Faust etc and sends them up mercilessily. A sort of thinking man's Pratchett, if you will. Just read through Expecting Someone Taller, Ye Gods! and currently going through Overtime with Grailblazers next on the list. His books are light, amusing and do incite you to go through all that dusty mythology that you slept through as a kid. Just so that you can smugly sit there and tell all and sundry that you got the jokes first time and you can pick holes in his treatment of the different Gods/Mythological/Literary characters. Talking of which, I must find my copy of Faust Among Equals again...
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

presterjohn

Post by presterjohn »

colcool007 wrote:
presterjohn wrote:I have often wondered if many other comic readers are similar to me when it comes to fiction. I tend to go for novels that are part of a series or feature a recurring character. I am currently on book four of the Eagle series by Simon Scarrow. These feature two Centurions who get up to various scrapes during the time of the Roman empire. Previous to that I have read all of Bernard Cornwell's Sharpe books and Ian Rankin's Rebus books to name just two of the many series I have indulged in over the years.
I must admit that the continued exploration of a 'fictional' universe appeals to me as I read a large amount of books that have recurring characters. PJ, have you deliberately missed the Starbuck novels by Cornwell or not read them yet?.
I have read and loved all the Starbuck books. I have even written to Bernard Cornwell asking when he is going to restart the series (his response was sometime but not soon). I am about to start book seven in the Simon Scarrow Eagle series now. A great series so far although the dialogue could do with a bit of work sometimes.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

My fascination with the wild west prompted me to buy Wyatt Earp The Life Behind the Legend by Casey Tefetiller. I still find it amazing that there was a time in history when characters like Doc Holiday and his girlfriend Big Nosed Kate, Johnny Ringo, Curly Bill Brocious, Turkey Creek Jack Johnson, Buckskin Frank Leslie, Pony Deal, Johhny Behind the Deuce, "Prairie Dog" Dave Morrow and Bat Masterson (all in this book) existed. A fiction writer couldn't have come up with anything as imaginative. Really enjoying this book. The word unputdownable springs to mind. Great word - well done to whoever invented it.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Well, I have finished my Tom Holt marathon and moved on to The Sandworms Of Dune which was the finale of the series based upon the notes of Frank Herbert. I had a nice diversion of reading Final Impact and it finished way too soon. I hope Brimingham continues to expand on this alternate history as I would like to see how this series goes on. Now casting about for a new book to read, but as I am now home, I have a few comics to catch up on! :D
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

dreamticket

Post by dreamticket »

Just finished Skeleton Man, another Tony Hillerman book featuring his duo of Navajo policemen (Joe Leaphorn and Jim Chee), which puts me in the camp of people who read books with recurring characters. Mind you, you've got to like the characters and the writing to want to come back for more.

Not sure what's up next as there's plenty in the 'to read' pile, and I've got one eye on the Tour de France.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I've pretty much always read fiction with recurring characters right back to the mid seventies with those British westerns such as Edge, Steele, Jubal Cade, Angel and then the 87th precinct books and I still re-read the Richard Bolitho series by Alexander Kent. Also like Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin novels.

dreamticket

Post by dreamticket »

It's been a bad year for me bookwise. I've just finished a rare book on comics -- Masters of Fun and Thrills vol.1, by Norman Wright and David Ashford. This reprints some of their articles on British comic creators that appeared in BMC. I'm assuming there's a second volume somewhere, but I've yet to track it down.