Football season 2011/12

Discuss anything not related to comics here and if you are new to these boards, introduce yourself here.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Phoenix
Guru

Re: Football season 2011/12

Post by Phoenix »

Jonny Whizz wrote:13. Bolton - Another mid-table finish I reckon, but they need another forward or they could be in trouble.
Here are today's football results, well the only one that matters to me, that is:-

Queens Park Rangers 0 Bolton Wanderers 4

I realise that half the teams haven't played yet but you can only beat what's put in front of you so, by my reckoning, we are top of the Premiership tonight by a country mile. Well, perhaps not quite a country mile, but we are TOP! :lol:

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

Lucky Lucky Bolton top of the league for 1 week only.
Spurs did it one year as well.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

steelclaw wrote:Lucky Lucky Bolton top of the league for 1 week only.
How can we possibly be lucky, steelclaw, when we stuff a Premiership side 4-0? Don't lose heart, though. This just might be the year Spurs go to the top for a week again. I can't obviously say which week but I think sometime in October would be favourite, because from November it'll be downhill all the way. :lol:

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

True. A team who wins their first game 4-0 would be unlucky not to go top of the table, as a team scoring more than 3 goals in a match isn't very common. Bolton aren't lucky, they earned it.

Jonny Whizz

Post by Jonny Whizz »

I must admit Bolton had been off my radar for most of the summer - they lost Elmander and Sturridge's loan finished which has left them looking fairly weak on paper up front (though clearly I underestimated their attacking threat since they did win 4-0!), but elsewhere Coyle seems to have bought fairly solidly. Eagles looked top flight class at Burnley (and Coyle already knows about him), and I'm surprised Villa allowed Reo-Coker to leave on a free transfer as he had been a regular there.

I think Bolton managed something similar in the 2001/02 season, where in their first game back in the top division they thrashed Leicester 5-0 to go top.

Oddly, no home team managed to win on the opening day of the Premier League season - Bolton and Wolves won away from home and all the other games ended in draws.
'Michael Owen isn't the tallest of players, but his height more than makes up for it' - Mark Lawrenson

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Jonny Whizz wrote:I think Bolton managed something similar in the 2001/02 season, where in their first game back in the top division they thrashed Leicester 5-0 to go top.
Yes, that was also away from home, and Leicester were relegated at the end of the season. Watch out, QPR!

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

Digifiend wrote:True. A team who wins their first game 4-0 would be unlucky not to go top of the table, as a team scoring more than 3 goals in a match isn't very common. Bolton aren't lucky, they earned it.
I forgot you haven't got a sense of humour. :roll:

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

Phoenix wrote:
steelclaw wrote:Lucky Lucky Bolton top of the league for 1 week only.
How can we possibly be lucky, steelclaw, when we stuff a Premiership side 4-0? Don't lose heart, though. This just might be the year Spurs go to the top for a week again. I can't obviously say which week but I think sometime in October would be favourite, because from November it'll be downhill all the way. :lol:
Spurs going top now that would be lucky.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

steelclaw wrote:Spurs going top now that would be lucky.
Well it's not entirely off the scale of possibilities, steelclaw. You just need another Jimmy Greaves. Oh, and perhaps a Danny Blanchflower. Mmmm, and definitely a Bill Brown, you are a bit iffy between the sticks when all's said and done. You could also address the fannying about in your midfield. A Dave Mackay would put some steel in there. Maybe at least one speedy winger? A Cliff Jones? No, I've changed my mind. If Spurs can go top without my suggested improvements, I can plait sawdust. :D

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

steelclaw wrote:
Digifiend wrote:True. A team who wins their first game 4-0 would be unlucky not to go top of the table, as a team scoring more than 3 goals in a match isn't very common. Bolton aren't lucky, they earned it.
I forgot you haven't got a sense of humour. :roll:
Eh? I was agreeing with you!

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

What's the odds Spurs will win 0-3 at Old Trafford next week :D
It's about time Spurs beat them.

Ha Ha Chelsea could only manage a draw with stoke, now we need WBA to beat united.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Rooney has already put Man U a goal up. Joey Barton will be on Five Live after this match, it'll be interesting to hear what he has to say. He got a slap and went down like he'd been given a clump by Captain Hurricane.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

1-1 Man Utd goalkeeping error. Youngster between the sticks. Robbie Savage says he would have saved it.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Digifiend wrote:Eh? I was agreeing with you!
If you look again, Digi, you will see that whereas steelclaw said that Bolton were lucky, you said they weren't.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

stevezodiac wrote:1-1 Man Utd goalkeeping error. Youngster between the sticks.
Yes, but that youngster cost about £18 million from Atletico Madrid!! He was bought as a straight replacement for Van der Sar. What a farce! Peppa Pig could have saved that shot.