Rugby world cup.

Discuss anything not related to comics here and if you are new to these boards, introduce yourself here.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

matrix

Rugby world cup.

Post by matrix »

Can anyteam beat the all blacks?

AndyB
Throgmorton

Re: Rugby world cup.

Post by AndyB »

Maybe Ireland will... after that dismal showing in the autumn internationals, they would need to play better.

Still, as long as we beat England :)

matrix

Post by matrix »

Would be good for the game if countries like Ireland can challenge the all blacks etc,i think the all blacks will win it but the Aussies will give them a run.

matrix

Post by matrix »

Congratulations Andy what a result, just what the game needed, the Aussies didnt know what hit them the Irish defence was brilliant and their fitness also.

If they play like that again they could win it,the guinness will be flowing well in Auckland tonight!

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

And probably over here too! The celebrations for Arthur's Day may well start five days early, don't you think?

The real question is whether we can keep it up. The autumn internationals were atrocious.

matrix

Post by matrix »

Hangovers for some!

Ireland look like a team on a mission,very focused could go a long way.

dreamticket

Post by dreamticket »

Ireland's big problem seems to be maintaining focus against the lesser teams. The great result against Australia does not guarantee they will top the group. I expect a tough match against Italy.

I thought Wales were in the group of death, but beating Samoa has probably put them through -- unless Samoa do something startling against S.A., or Fiji learn to tighten up.

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

Italy are always the underdogs. They've improved over the years, but there's a reason why they rarely even beat Scotland these days. The poor country of my birth...

STARBOY

Post by STARBOY »

are Scotland poor at Rugby? (are Ireland good?) I though we (Scotland) were ok not great but above average? Saying that I just watched Scotland snatch defeat from the jaws of victory against Argentina to set up a heroic defeat against England in the last game no doubt (or a total gubbing - more likely) enjoying the Rugby world cup though

matrix

Post by matrix »

STARBOY wrote:are [*] Scotland poor at Rugby?[*] (are Ireland good?) I though we (Scotland) were ok not great but above average? Saying that I just watched Scotland snatch defeat from the jaws of victory against Argentina to set up a heroic defeat against England in the last game no doubt (or a total gubbing - more likely) enjoying the Rugby world cup though
I suppose it depends who you ask, to a patriotic scotsman they would probably say they are "ok" but realistically at the moment they are not up to the same standard as the other countries involved.

As Andy said earlier based on Irelands autumn internationals they were not expected to do well,but against Australia played like they could beat any team.

All Blacks have home advantage and skill to win it.

Australia have made it difficult for themselves and need luck.

The dark horse could be England.

Rugby played at this level is great to watch if the scores are close.

STARBOY

Post by STARBOY »

Oh well if we're only "ok" then that really means we're mince :) - I reckon that New Zealand will win it they have looked amazing, (never under estimate the Australians or South Africa though) Ireland could go far (hope Wales do well also - and England are already at the next stage). Whatever the outcome I have to say I have enjoyed it and its one game where as a Scot I don't mind England doing well (well that and Cricket cause well its cricket!!!)

matrix

Post by matrix »

A good attitude STARBOY,you are correct to never underestimate the Aussies or South Africa.

I myself like it when the underdogs do well,they have all worked hard to get to where they are now, so may the best team win.

Scotland will have their day!

dreamticket

Post by dreamticket »

So it's going to be:

Ireland v Wales

England v France

South Africa v Australia

and New Zealand v Argentina.

I'd hate to have to call any of those except the last one.

The way they awarded points during the group phase made for an exciting last round of matches. France, with just two wins, snuck into the quarters. England and Ireland, with three wins each under their belts, could both have been eliminated if they had lost their last matches.

Well done to Tonga on beating France, and bad luck on not progressing -- they should probably have beaten Canada and only a French try in the last few minutes denied them the needed points difference.

STARBOY

Post by STARBOY »

All tough games (even the New Zealand one Argentina are a good team) but I reckon it will be: Wales, France (I reckon that will be the closed game) , Australia and New Zealand - the first 3 can go either way of course but good luck to Wales, England and Ireland in particular

matrix

Post by matrix »

Irelands confidence is growing,could go all the way?

Dan Carter out of the All Blacks,a test for them now?