Grammar in posts (Was: What comics did you buy today?)

Discuss anything not related to comics here and if you are new to these boards, introduce yourself here.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

swirlythingy

Re: Grammar in posts (Was: What comics did you buy today?)

Post by swirlythingy »

Phoenix wrote:
Raven wrote:(The Return - or Enter - key is quite simply the key that takes you onto the next line for you to continue there.)
I have one of those, and I use it regularly, but not regularly enough, apparently.
Your last few posts have been written in a clearer style, especially the longest one, so I thank you for making the correction.
Phoenix wrote:
Raven wrote:I didn't think he meant intellectually difficult to follow - just visually difficult, if it's a big, unbroken paragraph. I may have misinterpreted, though.
Intellectually or visually, I'm sorry but I don't accept that Swirly finds any difficulty whatsoever.
I meant purely visually, in that without paragraphs I have trouble keeping track of my place, and since I am so easily distracted, if I cannot scan through the first couple of words of every paragraph to judge whether or not I have already read it, the length of time required for me to finish reading a post increases dramatically.

This post provides an excellent example. I remember when reading it for the first time, I resorted to Phoenix's habit of writing comic titles in bold as a kind of substitute paragraph break, and kept track of my position in the text relative to the point about halfway down where he referred to The Dandy.
Help! Help! We're being held prisoner in a signature factory!

martin bazley

Post by martin bazley »

Did you notice that the following poster, in that quoted thread, made an apology directly to you? Did you give an apology in return?

Al
Sir!

Post by Al »

Topic locked. It's really going nowhere.

Everyone has made their point. Let's leave it there.

I thank you.

Al