Topic Locking

Discuss anything not related to comics here and if you are new to these boards, introduce yourself here.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Phoenix
Guru

Topic Locking

Post by Phoenix »

Let me make it clear at the outset that this is not intended be a criticism of Al, more a questioning of a decision. I am concerned about the issue of free speech, and I believe that forum members should have an opportunity to add their own thoughts to mine, if they so wish.

I can't actually remember a case where a topic locking has happened before, although I suppose it may have. It just seems so unnecessary. There are hundreds of threads on comicsuk that have all reached their natural end, which, stating the obvious, comes about when nobody has anything further to add to what has already been said. Sometimes one thread or another is resurrected at a much later date, when a poster has some new thoughts to add, but it fizzles out again eventually.

What was so different about the Grammar In Posts thread, that required its premature termination? The only answer I can come up with is that Martin Bazley's first ever post appeared to threaten to return us to the polemic over Swirly that took over the This Week's Dandy thread for a while, and this was considered inadvisable. Surely a PM to Martin would have been sufficient to nip that in the bud.

I think Al was correct in assuming that the Grammar In Posts thread was approaching its natural end, but I could be wrong. Some people have said some things, but a lot of people have said nothing at all. How can we be sure that the topic locking hasn't prevented us all from reading some new and interesting insights? The thread just might have had a fruitful coda, and ended with a bang rather than a whimper.

swirlythingy

Re: Topic Locking

Post by swirlythingy »

Phoenix wrote:What was so different about the Grammar In Posts thread, that required its premature termination? The only answer I can come up with is that Martin Bazley's first ever post appeared to threaten to return us to the polemic over Swirly that took over the This Week's Dandy thread for a while, and this was considered inadvisable. Surely a PM to Martin would have been sufficient to nip that in the bud.
To make things clear: My name is Martin Bazley, and the "martin bazley" user is not me. All evidence points to it being Scoobie, who apparently couldn't think of another original username. (Al informs me that, since admin activation came into force to attempt to stop spammers, he has refused an account to another user named "swirlythingyfanclub" - almost certainly the same as this one, and almost certainly also Scoobie.) The topic was locked because Scoobie was attempting to turn it into a flamewar. Personally I wish the post could just have been deleted and conversation resumed from where it left off, but it's Al's right as an admin to take whatever action he feels is necessary to keep the peace.

As for another example of a locked topic: Guess who?
Help! Help! We're being held prisoner in a signature factory!

skyromie

Post by skyromie »

From all I see Martin Bazley has asked a direct question, which wasn't answered.
The weather is windy.

Jonny Whizz

Post by Jonny Whizz »

I was wondering why there was a user with that name - I knew that was your name from reading the Beano free forums, but couldn't think of any good reason why you (or anyone) would bother having two profiles on this forum. So we know it isn't you then.
'Michael Owen isn't the tallest of players, but his height more than makes up for it' - Mark Lawrenson

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

swirlythingy wrote:To make things clear: My name is Martin Bazley, and the "martin bazley" user is not me. All evidence points to it being Scoobie, who apparently couldn't think of another original username.
I'd comment on this situation, Swirly, but there doesn't seem to be much point because Scoobie has made it perfectly plain that he doesn't give a rat's ar*e what I think.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

We've only locked a very small number of topics as many are resurrected at some point down the years be it weeks or years later.

This topic was locked because of the "Martin Bazley" user trying to hi-jack it to start another row that we don't need. If the discussion on grammar is to be continued, nothing stops anyone from starting a new thread. And it is the usual reason for locking a topic when it looks like it is becoming a starter for a bun-fight.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

-MikeD-

Post by -MikeD- »

Phoenix wrote:
swirlythingy wrote:To make things clear: My name is Martin Bazley, and the "martin bazley" user is not me. All evidence points to it being Scoobie, who apparently couldn't think of another original username.
I'd comment on this situation, Swirly, but there doesn't seem to be much point because Scoobie has made it perfectly plain that he doesn't give a rat's ar*e what I think.
Or what any of us think. He just gets abusive and personal. And if he's now posting as other forum members... :roll:
My new art blog...beta version... http://mikedcuk.blogspot.co.uk

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Topic Locking happens quite a lot on other forums. I had a topic locked on another cartoon-related forum, and I withdrew all my cartoons and requested to leave the 'residence'. I later calmed down though, and I'm still with them over a year later.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

:evil: So "Martin Bazley" was Scoobie in disguise was it? On any other forum I go on, that would be an automatic ban for having multiple user accounts. Impersonation is a major no-no. Al, if I were you, I'd ban him forthwith.

martin bazley

Post by martin bazley »

Who's scooby?

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

martin bazley wrote:Who's scooby?
I'm just expressing an opinion here but it seems to me that if this martin bazley is another real Martin Bazley he would have spelled Scoobie correctly, as everybody else has.

martin bazley

Post by martin bazley »

Phoenix wrote:
martin bazley wrote:Who's scooby?
I'm just expressing an opinion here but it seems to me that if this martin bazley is another real Martin Bazley he would have spelled Scoobie correctly, as everybody else has.
who's scoobie?

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

martin bazley wrote:who's scoobie?
Wow! Now that's exactly the kind of offensive response I would have expected from Scoobie martin bazley. A pause for thought here, in the light of the recent debate about grammar. I'm wondering whether I should have put a comma after Scoobie. No, on reflection I think that sentence will do as it stands. Carry on digging, lad, this is all starting to amuse me. :D

P.S. Doesn't your use of such large letters in more than 50% of your post fall foul of some aspect of the new Forum Rules?

-MikeD-

Post by -MikeD- »

We're all in danger of feeding a troll... :(

Looks like Topic Locking just moves the problem to another thread. Only the banhammer is really effective...
My new art blog...beta version... http://mikedcuk.blogspot.co.uk

Jonny Whizz

Post by Jonny Whizz »

Hi, Martin! Welcome to this great forum. We're always glad to have new comic fans on here, and if you feel you can contribute anything then go ahead, I'm sure we'll find your views and knowledge interesting.

So, which comics would like to discuss first?
'Michael Owen isn't the tallest of players, but his height more than makes up for it' - Mark Lawrenson