Comics UK - Version 2 (Finally)

Discuss anything not related to comics here and if you are new to these boards, introduce yourself here.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Al
Sir!

Re: Comics UK - Version 2 (Finally)

Post by Al »

:D That made me giggle Steve.

I am typing this through extremely tired eyes. This working for a living lark is a lot harder then I remember it. Today has been a 15 hour day, but I absolutely love it and realise how lucky I am.

Thanks for all the posts and the images sent via the new Loading Bay section (under the Links header). I will get around to uploading them as soon as I can. Hopefully, tomorrow when I'm more awake. I would do it now, but I've been given a couple of tasks to do for work tomorrow.

I will also be talking to the guys who are experiencing problems with the older browsers and trying to sort out their problems. The thing is, I don't have access to these browsers, so I can't test for them. But I hope the problems can be resolved. I will just need to know a bit more about what is being seen and not working really. (Screenshots would be nice) :)

Al

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Site temporarily went down half an hour ago. Including the forum. I checked again ten minutes ago and it was back up. :?

Al
Sir!

Post by Al »

I noticed that as well. It appeared to be due to maintenance being carried out by my service provider, because my testing site (hosted by them) was also down.

Niblet

Post by Niblet »

I didn't check the site yesterday so it came as a very pleasant surprise to see the revamp just now. Thanks for all your hard work, Al (and son), we appreciate it.

swirlythingy

Post by swirlythingy »

Al wrote:I will also be talking to the guys who are experiencing problems with the older browsers and trying to sort out their problems. The thing is, I don't have access to these browsers, so I can't test for them. But I hope the problems can be resolved. I will just need to know a bit more about what is being seen and not working really. (Screenshots would be nice) :)
My problem is very simple, really; no Javascript. I could send you a screenshot, but I think it would be more helpful to wait until the promised Javascript-free interface materialises to check if there's anything remaining broken afterwards.

ISTR it hated old Comics UK as well.

Great for phpBB, though! :D
Help! Help! We're being held prisoner in a signature factory!

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

What browser are you using to not have Javascript? Once I get your answer, I will see what I can find to help you out.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

I can't see any of the summer specials or annuals on my previous browser...uploaded a new version and now I can see it..will keep both browsers for now..

nice to see the size bigger for the annuals and specials...much clearer..

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

For me it's my old Mac operating system that is the problem as it no longer supports any of the latest browser updates - which is a bit irritating as I just get a message telling me to upload one whenever I try to access Comics UK. :?

- Phil R.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Windows XP has the same problem, can't upgrade from IE8 to the current IE9. That's why I now use Chrome. Is Chrome available for Mac?

swirlythingy

Post by swirlythingy »

Since a few people seem to have got themselves in a twist: downloading = transferring files from the internet to your computer, uploading = transferring files from your computer to the internet. (If you're all Chrome fans, just use a literal analogy with your desk and the famous 'cloud'.) You download a new version of a browser, and upload scans to the new Loading Bay.
colcool007 wrote:What browser are you using to not have Javascript? Once I get your answer, I will see what I can find to help you out.
http://www.netsurf-browser.org/

(No "well don't use that browser then" posts, anyone, please.)

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

swirlythingy wrote:
colcool007 wrote:What browser are you using to not have Javascript? Once I get your answer, I will see what I can find to help you out.
http://www.netsurf-browser.org/

(No "well don't use that browser then" posts, anyone, please.)
Ah, you are on a Mac then I will have to have a deeper look to see if I can figure out anything. I am currently on a PC and using Firefox 5.0 and everything looks good to me. Get back to you later as I am taking small one to see Kung Fu Panda 2! :D

swirlythingy

Post by swirlythingy »

colcool007 wrote:
Ah, you are on a Mac then
Eh??
NetSurf is a multi-platform web browser for RISC OS, UNIX-like platforms (including Linux), Mac OS X, and more.
Not sure how you came to that conclusion! As a matter of fact, the correct answer was the first in the list.
colcool007 wrote:I will have to have a deeper look to see if I can figure out anything. I am currently on a PC and using Firefox 5.0 and everything looks good to me.
Of course it does. You are looking at the site in a browser with Javascript support. I am not. This is the problem, not the name of the broswer or the operating system.

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

That would be the problem then. Does there exist another browser you could use which can deal with a conventional standard such as Javascript?

You'd be excused for using a browser which can't handle ASP ;)

swirlythingy

Post by swirlythingy »

swirlythingy wrote:(No "well don't use that browser then" posts, anyone, please.)

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

swirlythingy wrote:
colcool007 wrote:
Ah, you are on a Mac then
Eh??
NetSurf is a multi-platform web browser for RISC OS, UNIX-like platforms (including Linux), Mac OS X, and more.
Not sure how you came to that conclusion! As a matter of fact, the correct answer was the first in the list.
colcool007 wrote:I will have to have a deeper look to see if I can figure out anything. I am currently on a PC and using Firefox 5.0 and everything looks good to me.
Of course it does. You are looking at the site in a browser with Javascript support. I am not. This is the problem, not the name of the broswer or the operating system.
You original link pointed to the Netsurf website and in no place does it mention that it is Windows-friendly, therefore I assumed that as you were using a browser that has a Linux bias, that you had a Mac. My apologies for looking swiftly at a problem when I am on the way out of the door and thought the courtesy of a reply would be more appreciated than the usual deafening silence.

I mentioned that I am on a PC (Microsoft OS) with Mozilla Firefox 5.0 to indicate to other readers and yourself that the board works fine in other browsers.

As to your reluctance to download a browser with Javascript support, is this a personal bias or a limitation due to the system that you are using?

And quoting your own comments back to people who are trying to help you will not endear you to them. If any words that I have used are incomprehensible or difficult to understand, please use a web search to find a decent dictionary.