Come on Andy

Discuss anything not related to comics here and if you are new to these boards, introduce yourself here.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

stevezodiac

Come on Andy

Post by stevezodiac »

Andy Murray could win the men's final at Wimbledon tomorrow but on Five Live last night many callers were against him - mainly due to his quote about the England football team a few years back. They were saying how surly and uncommunicative he is and even John McCrirrick sic was slating him. Myself i'm indifferent to him as a person but must admit his voice is hard to listen to for more then a few seconds but I do hope he wins. I think Virginia Wade won for England in silver jubilee year so maybe Andy can do it in diamond jubilee year.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Re: Come on Andy

Post by colcool007 »

stevezodiac wrote:Andy Murray could win the men's final at Wimbledon tomorrow but on Five Live last night many callers were against him - mainly due to his quote about the England football team a few years back. They were saying how surly and uncommunicative he is and even John McCrirrick sic was slating him. Myself i'm indifferent to him as a person but must admit his voice is hard to listen to for more then a few seconds but I do hope he wins. I think Virginia Wade won for England in silver jubilee year so maybe Andy can do it in diamond jubilee year.
...for England...! I take it you mean for Britain as I am sure that Andy will be back to being Scottish as soon as Federer beats him! :lol: On a more serious note, Andy is the first British male to get to the final since 1938 and the first Scot to ever make it. Even Wales and Ireland have made it there, but we are talking a few years ago!

After seeing Murray work hard to beat Tsonga, I do not rate his chances tomorrow, but I'll still cheer him on.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Yes if Henman had won Wimbledon he'd have been an English champion but if Murray wins he will be a British champion as opposed to Scottish. Queer.

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

I have at least one friend rather upset about the fact that Andy is much better than Tim was at his peak. If we can build another generation behind Andy, we will have some great local tennis to watch.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

I'm having a mini tennis party tomorrow..
my old school friends.two I've not seen in 25 years..so I'll be supporting Andy..he has become a more carmer person under lendl coaching..mentor..he is a lot better player..

also Brits win the doubles 1936 record reached..

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

One Brit - his partner is Danish.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

That Scotch fella lost :)

Just teasing.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Yeah, won the first set, lost the next three. Oh well, there's always next year! Federer won't be around forever.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

I was genuinely impressed. I thought that the first set was excellent. I could not believe that he won it. Good luck for next time Andy.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

McSCOTTYS GHOST

Post by McSCOTTYS GHOST »

Andy did really well but Federer was pretty amazing after the "roof" closed and played some stunning tennis and deserved to win- I feel sorry for Andy his comments on the English footy team were made when hew was 19 (a bit naive) and after he was being teased by some others English journalists about Scotland yet again not qualifying for the World Cup even the Telegraph reported it was a bit of a set up (or is it still a shock to the general public that at football Scotland and England are not best buddies) - Yeah amazing how he became Scottish again on the BBC after he lost ahhh the rich tapestry that is the UK :lol: (oh I hate being called Scotch lol its like chalk on a Blackboard to me)

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Yes I know but my surname is Mitchell, my mum's maiden name was MacKenzie and I support Millwall who were formed by Scottish jam makers from the Mortons factory in the Isle of Dogs so I consider myself an honorary Scotsman. I read somewhere that the name Mitchell occurs most in Dundee so perhaps its my spiritual home.

starscape

Post by starscape »

Why should a Scotsman support England? I won't support Micah Richards when he plays for England but I will support him when he plays for the UK.

Will Manchester United fans hope Manchester City win the Champions League because they're next door to each other? I doubt it.

Will Manchester United fans support Man City players when they play for England? Mostly.

It's rivalry. The bedrock of sport.
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Yeah, that's true - but tennis players represent Great Britain, not England, so the English have every reason to support Murray. You're right though that English and Scottish fans wouldn't support each other's teams, but both sets of fans should support Team GB (despite the lack of Scots in the team).

starscape

Post by starscape »

That's my point. It's no surprise Murray won't support England at football but also no surprise his favourite player as a youngster was Tim Henman.
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

McSCOTTYS GHOST

Post by McSCOTTYS GHOST »

I certainly will be supporting the UK Team in general in the Olympics , but although not rabidly against the Team GB footy team (as some Scots are) I won't be actively supporting the GB football team due to the political situation of it all ( ie UEFA/FIFAs opposition to the home nations playing as such and not as a combined UK team - its not going away its been raised recently again) not surprised there a eno Scots in its not just due to the SFA oppositio,n but lack of ability in our game at present - although I see tat ticket sales for Hampden for Team GB are not going well 100s given free to kids (which is good) Yeah it always amazes me that some fo;k (not real football fans) think its wrong for Scotland , England not to support each other as stated its rivalry its what makes it fun (gets sad when folk wont support a Scot, Englishman when they're doing individual sports, or sports there not into) .