Dreams and Nightmares.

Discuss anything not related to comics here and if you are new to these boards, introduce yourself here.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

ISPYSHHHGUY

Dreams and Nightmares.

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

I dream every single night, some of them are very vivid and seem to last for hours. Maybe it's because I do cartoon drawings, I am more receptive to vivid dreams, but I know I seem to get more powerful dreams than some other people do. I'm quite happy about this: I'm quite intruiged by dreams, they are still so mysterious, even in this day and age.

Last night I had an unusually bad nightmare, and here's some of the details I remember:

I was sitting in a room I didn't recognize, but I knew I was in a large block of flats, and the decor suggested I was in the future. There was a woman with me who I don't recognize, but I seemed to know her in this scenario. We were watching a drama with actors on a large flatscreen TV, it was pretty engrossing, and we seemed to be watching it for ages.

Suddenly a live news bulletin came on: this depicted an outside broadcast at night with shakey, gritty camerawork: an attractive young female broadcaster was relaying the fact that someone was commandeering a huge satellite in space, and they were converting the sun's rays into powerful laser-bolts, 'zapping' civilized countries around the Globe, and the destruction was happening NOW. The terrified newscaster revealed that at least one nation will be completely destroyed within a few hours.......a glimpse of this terrifying destruction was evident in the background of the news bulletin, which ended abruptly, as did ALL TV broadcasts.

I turned to the woman in the room and said:

Wow, THAT came out of the blue---I guess that's it, then.

The internet was also 'down', or at least there were next to no sites able to function. After a long time trying to find news, all I could find was a graphic chart depicting that three-quarters of the USA was lit up in red, indicating it had been badly destroyed by this satellite. I remember thinking:

good job I never visited the States after all.

Eventually, people in authority came around to the flat: these weren't soldiers, but they were imposing, brawny civilian-looking people who I never argued with. I was ordered to go with them, and my request to take water with me was turned down---from here on I was no longer allowed to act of my own free will.

The UK was revealed to be the last nation unaffected by the destructive blasts, but we would still be likely to be invaded by some sinister outside forces, this time by overseas terrorists who would be armed to the teeth. All this seems to have been known by the authorities who knew it was coming, but the populace were kept in the dark until too late, in order to avoid understandable panic. In the meantime, we all had to undergo these horrifying, futuristic tests to ensure we weren't contaminated: I can't remember the exact details, but it was gruesome stuff indeed.

All of these events were experienced from my point of view within a huge futuristic block of flats, and then this nightmare seemed to end abruptly....

Yesterday, I was reading some old 80s SCREAM! comics, with the chilling 13th FLOOR strip fresh in my mind: maybe this is what triggered this terrifying stuff?

So: is this a premonition I had of a terrifying future War, or is it merely a collection of random bad-dream images?

starscape

Re: Dreams and Nightmares.

Post by starscape »

ISPYSHHHGUY wrote: So: is this a premonition I had of a terrifying future War, or is it merely a collection of random bad-dream images?
I'm officially forbidden to say. But feel free to visit the USA any time you want...

....within the next 6 years, 2 months and 37 days.

I can say no more!
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

DJDogfart

Post by DJDogfart »

My own dreams have often been a source of fascination to me, and I did start writing them down - there is a part of the human brain that can delete a dream from memory within seconds of waking, only for some event or conversation to trigger the dream later on - how odd.
I dreamt once that I was watching an old style circus procession along a street (I think it was near Bournemouth Pier) and I was stood next to a oldish chap who was smoking a pipe. The chap introduced himself as God, although he didn't look like the usual image of God (big beard, flowing white robes etc.) and we were chatting away as the elephants/jugglers/clowns etc. went by. He suddenly turned to me and looked me square in the eye and said "I f***ing hate circuses".
We walked for a while and ended up in a shopping centre. I stopped him as we were walking and asked him if he could tell me what my purpose was whilst I was on this planet. He stood still, thumped his chest hard and said "That's all in here mate" suggesting to me that my heart was the only thing that could answer that question. Then I looked up to his face and there was bubbles coming out of his pipe bowl.
When I woke up I had a strange feeling of sereneness (is that even a word?) and that all was right with the world, as if I had actually met God.

I should point out that I am not a church goer or overly religious in any way.

Aren't dreams brilliant?
Scccrrruunnge

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

DJ Dogfart: thank you for recounting this memorable dream, this is exactly the sort of one-off scenarios I am looking for!

I often dream I am revisiting my childhood, I am back in the 60s/early 70s, the world is simpler, but still with problems.

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

I often have weird dreams, though sometimes I go for months without remember any. Sometimes dreams I've had months or even years previously (or at least it feels like it) will suddenly pop back into my head, it often seems to happen when I'm doing something really routine and boring at work, when you'd expect memories to be triggered by doing something special or unusual.
I've also written about various ones I've had all over the internet, at great length. I ought to dig up all those posts and collate them in one huge blog post. Ones I've had but which I don't think I've written about before include:

The Earth was being invaded by aliens, while I was on holiday in a large house, standing on it's own near the sea, with tufty grass sloping gently down to a beach. The agents of the aliens were bikers, all dressed in black, who were "leather all the way through". I don't know if this was before or after the Doctor Who episode that featured the same thing! Anyway the alien spacecraft arrived, and were incredibly noisy, making all sorts of loud beeps and chirruping noises. They started shooting at things with lasers, but then I somehow found out that "ceramics" (well, china anyway) were attracted to them, and noticed that the bottom of one was indeed covered with broken pottery. The plates, vases etc in the house I was in were also all floating about. I don't remember what else happened, but I know I went for a ride on one of the motorbikes.

I also once had a dream about a mangling-up of old Doctor Who, I was on a planet inhabited by "insectoids", aliens that looked like big grasshoppers who were armed with laser guns. They were apparently the slaves/guards of the "strawmen", who were mute, zombie like things made of straw. I think I got that bit the wrong way around! Anyway the strawmen proved predictably easy to defeat, once a convenient camp fire was found. This part of the dream was in black and white, and looked like it was taking place in a quarry! Anyway then I found a way into a bunker, and it switched to colour and started to look very 70's, all green metal and blinking lights. I discovered a computer, which looked like the Cyber Controller from The Invasion (only in colour) which was really controlling the creatures on the surface. Later there was something about somebody trying to take over the world in 1999 by using a hypnotic message hidden in website, but it turned out to just be a stupid animated gif on a beige background.

There was also one where I was roaming the maze-like, narrow backstreets of modern Tokyo, but all the cars looked like they came from 70's Britain.

NP

Post by NP »

Rab, a terrifying dream there, but I like how, even in the midst of this future shock you maintained your presence of mind suffiiciently to note that the news reporter was: "an attractive young female ". First things first, after all.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

mike: your dreams and visions seem just as potent and lurid as some of mine!

Nigel; yes, it's odd the details you can remember in a dream, and the fact you can still appreciate attractive folks even in a nightmare scenario!

Also connected to this theme of dreams;

LUCID DREAMING:

details here:

http://www.dreamviews.com/content/what- ... eaming-16/

For those of you who don't know, this is the remarkable phenomena where you realize you are in a dream, and are not fooled by the 'fake reality' that makes up the dream scenario: one you have the ability to spot you are merely dreaming, the next step is to control the dream events to your advantage........unrestricted by logic, you can fly like Superman, or walk upside-down on a ceiling, to cite but two examples. All this seems hyper-real, with surges and feelings of euphoria coursing through your body. This is truly limitless: if the dreamer wishes to conjure up the Taj Mahal, for instance, he or she will appear outside that building in an instant.

In my early 20s, I was fortunate enough to experience controlled dreaming about once a week: today, I'm rationed to one or two a year.

This example is from last year:

I found myself on the top of a very high building, similar to the GPO Telecom tower, only much higher. The backdrop to this resembled a Jack Kirby drawn cityscape, only dimensional. I looked over the side: it was impossibly high, plunging for miles. Suddenly, a group of young guys turn up , dressed in 30s Gangster threads . Now, in a dream I am aware of, I have no problem dealing with such threats, I know I can send even a group of enemies flying, like Popeye can , with one hyper-punch-----however here, I want to see what unfolds first, and this saw me being tied to a futuristic, metal 'totem-pole' by these guys, and I was bound tightly by twine.

Next, these guys lob me clean off this impossibly-high building: this next few minutes, I am plunging in exciting, breathtaking freefall: plummeting for miles, taking in the panoramic views offered from such a situation, watching details such as the sunlight glint on glass in the other skyscrapers below------unless I do a real-life parachute-jump, this is the only way I can find out what this feels like, and it was a thrilling, totally 'it's-great-to-be-alive' few minutes of falling through the air---I knew that no matter how real this seems, I'm in a totally safe environment, that I can control at any time.

All good things come to an end though, and eventually the street-level comes into view: I can start to pinpoint ant-like people who are increasing in size as I approach the pavement below. Being a caring sort of chap, I wish no harm even to innocent bystanders in my dream-world, so I yell out:

Get out of the Way!

The people below scatter accordingly as I approach at a high speed of knots. OK, I've left this 'til the last minute, but now is the time for me to take control of events. I break free from my bonds with ease and then mentally convert the metal totem-pole into a bazooka-like blaster just by willing this; now I start blasting explosive shells into the pavement below, which explodes violently. More importantly, the kick-back from these powerful shells has created a reverse pull, which means my falling situation is slowing down rapidly, and when I reach ground-level, it's as easy as stepping off a bus.

Such is the hyper-reality of this dream reality, I am engulfed in smoke and dust, and I have to dust myself down. I depart the smoking street-scene.

END of DREAM

-----anyone else on here ever experienced lucid [or controlled] dreaming? Believe me, you'd recognize it if it ever happened to you!

http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/
Last edited by ISPYSHHHGUY on 11 Sep 2012, 08:51, edited 3 times in total.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

starscape wrote:
ISPYSHHHGUY wrote: So: is this a premonition I had of a terrifying future War, or is it merely a collection of random bad-dream images?
I'm officially forbidden to say. But feel free to visit the USA any time you want...

....within the next 6 years, 2 months and 37 days.

I can say no more!

Thanks for the tip, starscape! Are you privy to some facts unknown to the rest of us, perchance-----?

Tin Can Tommy

Post by Tin Can Tommy »

I often seem to have lucid dreams where I know im dreaming and try to take control only to end up waking before I can do anything interesting. Although I did have a nice one a few weeks back where I flew over countryside for quite a while.

I regularly have dreams but I rarely write them down except a couple which I wont go in to here because they are only interesting if you know the people who appeared in my dream. So I forget most of my dreams soon after I wake up. However I can remember small (uninteresting unfortunately) parts of a dream I had before the age of 7 so that must be one of my earlier memories.
I never have what i'd call nightmares but I have had a couple of dreams I found disturbing mainly because of my actions within the dreams.

Also has any here seen the film Waking Life. It's all about dreams and lucid dreaming and things like that. It's quite a good film and the entire film is animated in a rotoscoped (animated over live action footage) style.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Last night I dreamt of discovering a pile of old comics in a bookshop. The strange thing is I was genuinely surprised and excited by each of the titles, none of which I'd heard of before. What I want to know now is: who designed all those imaginary covers??? I seem to get this sort of dream a lot! :shock:

- Phil Rushton (... also wondering if talking about comics in the 'non-comics' section counts as going off-topic! :? )

DavidKW

Post by DavidKW »

Dremas & nightmares- a strange and wide subject..

I think a lot of dreams are about our hopes & fears and/or things we read & saw over the week (a kind of mind clearout?). Mine have been on fears such as losing my job, living on the streets penniless, my teeth falling out (I fear dentists!), meeting acquaintances I'd prefer to forget, or fighting my snooty arrogant brother-in-law!

Hopes are such as becomming rich suddenly & finally affording a computer of my own, or discovering & buying all the comics I've ever wanted in a shop or being given them all as a thank-you for a good deed! And being a successful writer with things based on comic strips.

Some things that scared me as a child still come back now & again, though I've worked out ways to counter some of them.

I've been having some weird ones recently, but I never remember them...

I have had some dreams relating to comics strips - I'll trying and brainstorm and remember them all soon...

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

I also often dream I obtain a mountain of vintage comics and annuals, and like Phil has recounted, often I seem to be studying unknown, excellent-quality artwork by never-seen-before artists in detail, for ages: maybe this is the spirits of brilliant comic-artists,--- who never pursued their abilities-----coming through!

I have also noticed in these dreams that the artwork is often morphing and changing on the paper page as I study it--------

DavidKW

Post by DavidKW »

This has just reminded me of a very weird comic-related dream had when about 6 years old:

I was reading some comics (don't remmeber if it had a title) and it featured a strip about a character called "Axian" who dressed like a crusder but with devil horns - the art style was very Whizzer & Chips-esque and one strip ended with a frame of a car driving off with speech bubbles.

I seemed to be enjying the strip and wanted the dream to go on, but when I found the rest of the comic's pages blank...

Never told anyone about this or thought of it much till now. Was so weird...

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Nice one, David!

An especially odd one was years ago when I dreamt I was reading a vintage Desperate Dan story---the tale recounted a pretty disturbing event in which Dan's eyes are knocked off-centre, so his pupils are looking from the far corners, and his vision is temporarily severely impaired-----imagine the intruige, years later, when I actually stumbled accrross this precise scenario, replete with identical artwork !!

I read it later in a vintage Dandy annual published before I was born, so it couldn't very likely have been a dormant memory---maybe it was a case of deja-vu, of course......

DavidKW

Post by DavidKW »

I know what you mean about seeing future events:

On Tuesday night I was having a conversation with my quiz team in our pub which I saw & heard in a dream only a few weeks ago. I felt a bit faint when I realized I was in the scene as of now. Bizarre...

Just remembered another comic related dream I had years ago:
I was in a park where there was a giant typewriter in the background and the Beezer's Banana Bunch characters were there where everone was "doing what brainy says" like a kind of follow the leader; the Bunch however looked a bit different though, to how they looked in 76/77 when I was reading The Beezer - they looked more like the 50s Leo Baxendale versions in the one picture frame, more anarchic versions. I'd not seen these at the time, but I have in recent yeras been seeing and finding out about them.

I did mention this dream to my father, who was just very rude about in & used my reading of comics to blame & criticise for my shortcomings.
Strange things dreams...