New member :)

Discuss anything not related to comics here and if you are new to these boards, introduce yourself here.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Nagorama

New member :)

Post by Nagorama »

Hello,

I have been having a love affair with comics since I was little and I am interested in any form of sequential art from anywhere in the world. I have grown up with Franco-Belgian and American comics to start with, then Spanish and British comics a bit later. I live in the South-East and I am happy to have found this forum as I am still discovering comics that I hadn't heard of.

Digifiend

Re: New member :)

Post by Digifiend »

Welcome to Comics UK.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Greetings. Your last comment makes me wonder just how many different titles have been issued in Britain since Comic Cuts and illustrated Chips in the late 19th century. Sequential art rules out story papers from that total.

booksandcomics

Post by booksandcomics »

Welcome! Very excited to hear about your French / Spanish comics etc. You'll have to fill us in!

I have a love affair with Asterix and Obelix and Lucky Luke. I've encountered Toutuff before but not much beyond that. Oh, unless you include graphic novels? I recently bought Adele Blanc-sec if that means anything to you?

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

You have an excellent avatar, Nagorama!

We bid you most welcome.......

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

Ooh not heard much about Spanish comics. For some reason I imagine the Spanish (and South American) adventure comics to have the same style as British ones. Probably because from the 60's on they shared many of the same artists!

Nagorama

Post by Nagorama »

stevezodiac wrote:Greetings. Your last comment makes me wonder just how many different titles have been issued in Britain since Comic Cuts and illustrated Chips in the late 19th century. Sequential art rules out story papers from that total.
Hello, I borrowed a book about British Comics by Paul Gravett (a journalist/comics historian) from my local library recently and, even though the book doesn't pretend to be exhaustive by any means (otherwise it would have required several books), there were loads of comics I simply had never heard of.

Nagorama

Post by Nagorama »

booksandcomics wrote:Welcome! Very excited to hear about your French / Spanish comics etc. You'll have to fill us in!

I have a love affair with Asterix and Obelix and Lucky Luke. I've encountered Toutuff before but not much beyond that. Oh, unless you include graphic novels? I recently bought Adele Blanc-sec if that means anything to you?
Hello :) I like Asterix and Lucky Luke when the stories were written by René Goscinny (maybe you've heard of a French mag called Pilote that he founded?). And, regarding 'Les aventures extraordinaires d'Adèle Blanc-Sec', I have been literally raised on them :D The author Jacques Tardi is also well-known for making comics concerning the First World War, the war trenches and its cohort of horrors and atrocities... Maybe you've heard of them? Regarding Toutuff, do you rather mean 'Titeuf'?

Nagorama

Post by Nagorama »

Digifiend wrote:Welcome to Comics UK.
Thank you :D

Nagorama

Post by Nagorama »

ISPYSHHHGUY wrote:You have an excellent avatar, Nagorama!

We bid you most welcome.......
Hello ^^ I always found Tiger Tim cute.

felneymike wrote:Ooh not heard much about Spanish comics. For some reason I imagine the Spanish (and South American) adventure comics to have the same style as British ones. Probably because from the 60's on they shared many of the same artists!
Yes, that's right: a lot of strips in Lion and Tiger for example were drawn by Spanish artists.